Off-Topic Fridays: What Else Are You Playing?

I’m in to American Truck Simulator at the moment, picked it up for a laugh but I’m actually loving it. It’s so relaxing, until you have to park up…

Other than Vermintide 2 of course, what are you playing at the moment?

8 Likes

I’m currently split between::

• Rebel Galaxy (it’s a bit like ‘My First: Elite Dangerous’ with the narrative thread of No Mans Sky)
  • Satisfactory (it’s a bit like Factorio but with two distinctions: It’s way prettier, but also way more basic)
  • GTA: Online (I’m not sure why I continue with this, but the game world is a great one to romp around whilst being mean to people, which is somewhat in the spirit of the game)
  • Rocket League (#GoldRank4Life)

I also took inspiration and recently started a career in Euro Truck Simulator but I’m not sure how long I’ll last. The bank always wins. (life lesson folks!)

7 Likes

I’ve been playing dauntless a bit lately. It’s not bad for a free to play game and the combat is enjoyable. Most battles take 10-15 mins max. So it’s something quick to do when I don’t have a lot of time to game.

3 Likes
  • Deep Rock Galactic Because space dwarves
  • Overwatch Playing competitive because I hate myself
  • The Division 2 Not playing as much at the moment because balancing is a shitshow although that should be improved next patch
  • Borderlands Aiming for 100% completion across all the games game before BL3 is released
7 Likes

I’ve been playing dauntless a bit lately. It’s not bad for a free to play game and the combat is enjoyable. Most battles take 10-15 mins max. So it’s something quick to do when I don’t have a lot of time to game.

My brother is aching to get me in to Dauntless. Worth?

2 Likes

Hmmm, I won’t highly recommend it, but it’s definitely worth trying out. Especially since it’s 100% free.

The combat has no where near as much depth as V2 :wink: but there is special combos for each weapon and they all shine in a different way. From cutting off monsters tails, horns, etc with a sword to staggering them with great hammer or blasting them away with guns from a distance. Combat is easy to learn and pretty easy in general until the heroic fights, but that’s also it’s charm.

The cross platform is great, don’t feel like sitting at the PC, lay on the couch with your PS4 or Xbox and still play with the same people. It’s even coming to Nitendo Switch.

Since its free, it is grindy. At the same time, I haven’t spent any money and made it to lvl 20 out of 50 in 3 days. But you can buy passes to get 2x loot from hunts or super shiny skins and emotes. No pay to win which I like.

Tldr: Yes, try it out. I’ve invited 5 friends to play, they have all enjoyed it.

2 Likes

I’m playing to Crusader Kings 2. FOR THE EMP…ergh DEUS VULT.
I’m also playing my favourite game of all time: Total Annihilation, a little gem from 1997. Sorry but no one can beat it :grinning:

6 Likes

For this and a couple of the next weekends, my gaming will be focused on boardgames (and maybe some table-top RPGs). But I’m guessing this thread isn’t really about those…

My gaming habit are really erratic, honestly. A few of my friends recently picked up Terraria (from Steam sale) and I got gifted it yesterday, so it takes off some of my time. The Borderlands series is always a nice one, when I want something active and more of the VT crew isn’t available. The rest is more or less random; whatever feels fun at the moment. I have way too many games unfinished, and I of course picked a few up from the sale. And I still try to venture back into Minecraft from time to time, but that’s kind of boring when my friends don’t really want or can’t find the time to come in too.

And then there’s all the stuff on emulators that I could play, both already known good examples and some “new” things to try… I’m thinking of picking up the old Suikodens again.

6 Likes

Recently bought GTA San Andreas during the steam summersale for 3 €, cause it’s awesome and I’ve played it a lot, when I had my PS2.
Then I had to buy a controller for 20 €, because playing GTA SA with keyboard and mouse is horrible xD

6 Likes

Boardgames absolutely count @Yzneftamz!

7 Likes

recently i bought another rat related game
Plague Tale : Innocence
i can not slaying rat like vermintide 2 but can burning these filthy vermin with my torch

3 Likes

Insurgency Sandstorm. I’ve stopped playing vermintide entirely and not sure I’ll be back given what is coming.

2 Likes

In that case, I got into DnD last year. I got a group of friends whom are running a session normally every week. It’s been a lot of fun and wish I had got into it a lot earlier in life. In my late teens and early 20’s I thought it was too nerdy and stayed away. :joy: But damn was I missing out. Would recommend :+1: Also, the Swedes are all playing tieflings, so they just speak in Swedish for their Tiefling language and no one can understand them. Don’t trust those devils…

Doing an online DnD game over discord and the roll20 website with some friends from FFXIV and V2 as well. We all met up in Stockholm last month and thought it would be fun, it is.

6 Likes

In that case, I got into DnD last year. I got a group of friends whom are running a session normally every week. It’s been a lot of fun and wish I had got into it a lot earlier in life. In my late teens and early 20’s I thought it was too nerdy and stayed away. :joy: But damn was I missing out. Would recommend :+1:

I said board games, not NERDAPOLOOZA.

(I jest, of course. I discovered DnD in my late 20s and loved every minute, I just don’t have a group to play with)

4 Likes

I’m going to be playing DnD properly for the first time in a few weeks, one of my friends is planning on hosting it as he’s got some time off. I rather looking forward to it, I’m trying to keep my charater simple as its his first time DMing and nobody else has even played before.

7 Likes

I always find it a bit disappointing to see nearly every table-top RPG discussion being about D&D, or at least open with it… The system, any version of it (though the latest has gotten better) isn’t my favourite and there are a lot of others. Though admittedly, I am included in a Pathfinder game.

Still haven’t managed to try WHFRP…

2 Likes
  • Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning aka Oblivion 2.0 (or Skyrim 0.5 depending on who you’re asking).

• Gremlins, Inc. aka the fun version of Monopoly.

• Borderlands 2 even though there’s still until April 2020 before the third game comes out (this is highbrow humor right here)

I still manage to get some fun out of Deep Rock Galactic every now and then, but it’s mostly to complete the weekly assignment.

I also managed to nick Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate 2 off of the Steam Summer sale because I don’t have any friends to play actual DnD with, unlike the entire rest of the forums it seems, and also all of the Overlord games except Fellowship of Evil since I heard that one wasn’t so good, or, well, “bad” in this case I guess (highbrow humor strikes again), so I’m going to be playing those as well.

6 Likes

Okay, time for the obligatory encouragement response, I think.

It can be hard to find a group, true, and harder yet to find a GM (or DM, or Storyteller, or whatever term you want to use). While my personal experience indicates otherwise, I’ve heard that a lot of existing groups can be quite introverted, and RPGs still have enough of a nerdy reputation that people rarely get around to talking about them if they’re not already involved. But the Internet makes a lot of thing easier.

You could try just scouring a few forums, either local or hobby, for groups. Both could result in something, though the former is more likely for a “physical” group. There are also a lot of apps to help you game online, even for table-top games.

And even if you don’t find a ready-made group, but do find a few interested guys (or gals), it’s not that hard to set up. There are test (or “light”) versions of many rulesets available for free, and some are completely free. Many people are quite willing to help find a suitable game system, even if they can’t play with you, and you’ll find a lot of advice online, both for players and GMs (though more for the latter, and for a reason).

4 Likes

If you want a different a board game a few months back I played ‘Sheriff of Nottingham’ with some of my friends and it was fantastic, although it needs to be played in person. For those unfamiliar its 3-5 players official description is as follows.

• Prince John is coming to Nottingham! Players, in the role of merchants, see this as an opportunity to make quick profits by selling goods in the bustling city during the Prince’s visit. However, players must first get their goods through the city gate, which is under the watch of the Sheriff of Nottingham. Should you play it safe with legal goods and make a profit, or risk it all by sneaking in illicit goods? Be mindful, though, as the Sheriff always has his eyes out for liars and tricksters and if he catches one, he very well may confiscate those goods for himself!

You play until everybody has been the Sheriff twice and the goal is to make the most money, illicit good obvious are worth more but if you get caught you are forced to pay a fine, there are also bonuses for whoever has the most of each good by the end of the game, it turns into complete chaos of bribery and mistrust and I’d recommend it to anybody that enjoys board games and arguments.

3 Likes

battlebrothers or darkest dungeon whenever i feel like i need to get brutally murderd by gameAI :wink:

total war warhammer 2 when i need to satisfy my need to play evil factions

farcry games when i need to shot things in the face, so i dont think apart from 1 and 2 i never finished any of them, i just shot things in the face, or blow them up and then i stop and deinstall them again

on the todo list is playing borderlands presequal but havent found time or will to press the download button

3 Likes