Off-Topic Fridays: Best Movie You’ve Seen This Year?

I think people also just know it’s bunk. Even Russians who are anti-Soviet are pretty ‘meh’ on it. It’s not that they necessarily think the Soviets were good; just that that’s not what they were like. It’d be like if they depicted Teddy Roosevelt as a bumbling coward who wouldn’t hurt a fly.

It’s not just Russians who think so, either; Ukrainians also think it’s bad, and Western experts on Chernobyl, the BBC, the New York Times, and even Christian Science Monitor have pointed out big mistakes. In the words of one reviewer for CSM: “Everybody [in Russia and Ukraine] seems to agree that the miniseries goes overboard with its characters, depicting Soviet officials and plant management as too evil and conniving”.

But as one Russian writer for the Moscow News said: “Some lapses were probably too costly to avoid even when the filmmakers knew about them, like modern plastic windows in Soviet buildings. But there’s plenty more. Chernobyl is too far from Moscow to reach by helicopter … Nor, of course, could Deputy Prime Minister Boris Shcherbina even imagine threatening to throw Valery Legasov, an esteemed member of the Soviet Academy of Sciences, off a helicopter.” And I’d agree - science positions were not taken lightly in the Soviet Union and wielded considerable political clout, often on par with the military.

Death of Stalin . . . may be funny, but again it’s pretty far from history. It’s fine to enjoy it as just entertainment, of course.

And lolololol about DnD.

If anyone wants a more detailed explanation on how an RBMK reactor goes boom then watch this.

I found it interesting.

2 Likes

The older designs had a lot of flaws. There are a lot of better ones now, including options like liquid salt reactors, that are just inherently a lot safer, as I understand it.

2 Likes

7:52 that day power grid had needed more energy than expected

24 april 1986 was planned to stop 4th block for maintenance.
This procces was partially completed, but at the same time block on Tripolskaya thermal power plant (~20-25km near Kiev) come to a stop.
KievEnergo asked Chernobyl power plant to start block, to compensate shortage of energy. Of course it was not possible for personnel to make such decision. In short, KievEnergo asked central committee to help, and CC commanded to start 4th block. Generally, personnel was not obliged to execute that order, because it was against regulations (moreother it was order from public organization, not authority). And previous shift of personnel actually refused, but next is executed that order.
Reactor was started in the state of being “poisoned”, and personnel removed almost all graphite rods to compensate negative reactivity against regulations (allowed quantity: 26 by regulations, 15 by agreement with lead engineer and lead constructor), only ~1,5 rods was in reactor chamber.

Info from this video, but it in russian, and translation of subtitles is very bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXG37uVRgJc

Also, by another version emergency buttons was pushed after first explosion (steam explosion).
Doesn’t really matter, becuse in the end the cause of tragedy was rude violation of regulations.

Sorry if it is not very clear, it is kinda hard to translate.

About movies,

I watched Deadpool 2. Ryan Reynolds and Zazie Beetz is made this film worth to watch.
It is funny that this film have a jokes about it’s low budget, like several X-men from other films on the background in one of the scenes.

Colossus phrase “That’s how we do it in mother Russia”… I don’t even know how to react to it, on one side it is stupid and wrong considering situation, but on the other, I can admit that many things in Russia is actually made “through the ass” as sad it is.

And Keanu Reeves in John Wick films is actually brought something new to action films on par with gun techniques from “Equilibrium”, and fighting style in “Jason Bourne”. The time when I watched first film, I was actually amazed that I saw something new in action film than just shooting. Though I was disappointed that John Wick violated continental rules, it was kinda out of character IMO. Also quantity of killers in second film is exagerrated too much.

killers, killers everywhere

Ea, and I should say, Keanu Reeves is one of the best actors and good man himself.

1 Like

7 Likes

Relevant: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_binary

2 Likes

Dude, I was thinking about that when I read the joke! XD

1 Like