My minimum expectations for new crafting devs are working on

At the bare minimum i want to set my perks/blessings to be whatever the * i want them to be.
I also want to have the ability to set them to something different when i want to try different play-style or just to meme around.

Anything beyond that is a bonus. I still hope this would include stuf like blessings/perk update, maybe some attachments like scopes finally getting introduced without having to use a blody mod for it.
Some reason to use lower level blessings/perks, like maybe something along cods pick 10 system. Etc.

At this point i really cannot fathom how they could make it any worse at least. They did do pretty stellar job with the talent trees, and even seemingly listened on the veteran tree complaints. Yeah its still not a perfect system but its way better than what we had previously. So i do have some little bit of hopium left that they can deliver this time, but i guess we will see.

It’s fatshark so my minimum expectation is they remove one lock and call it a day

As for what I actually want, get rid of weapon stats. They’re pointless. They add nothing. There’s no part of it that makes your weapon feel unique and like it’s yours, it’s just “roll on brunts until you get one with the desired dump stat”. Nobody takes a weapon with maxed mobility but 40% damage. There’s no choice involved, it’s simply an obstacle.

The dream, and yet paywalled behind a dlc and never seen again.

there isn’t a gameplay loop. you just have the gameplay. you get to the end of story mode and then it’s just “play the game!” like an actual non-GAAS game. they tacked a bunch of stuff onto as side shows because either the fans wouldn’t shut up about wanting the feature or tencent wanted something they could ID as a source of income.

This unironically shows you actually don’t know what you’re talking about Jackal… Literally every game has a gameplay loop. It is the loop of gameplay that players will engage with.

it’s not a loop, it’s just gameplay. it’s a game design term for how you retain players outside of “play the game” through perceived progression, bad game designers have gone around using it for literally anything because they’re bad at game design and want to sound like they aren’t. once you hit 30 the main draw of the game is “i feel like playing this game some more!” which isn’t a loop.

And what exactly do you think you are doing when you que to game, end it, get rewarded and do it again?
You may not care a single dip about that reward, but the loop is there in just selecting a mission and completing it.

that’s like claiming a gashapon machine has a gameplay loop because “there’s a reward at the end!”, that’s not a gameplay loop that’s a gambling addiction you projected onto the game. you can’t just take a term and then apply it to whatever you want to, this fanbase sucks.

If people hit 30 and keep on playing, isn’t that BECAUSE they enjoy the gameplay “loop”? Doing the same thing again and again and again.

  1. Pick a mission
  2. Play the match and enjoy the tide-gameplay while doing so.
  3. Finish the mission
    (repeat)

Nothing about the gameplay changes in any major way. The deep melee and ranged combat system stays the same. You will engage with this system again and again. If you do not enjoy it, then the gameplay loop isn’t for you.

Most games have a core-gameplay that you repeat infinitely - aka a loop.
Like L4D2, Death Stranding, Terraria, Helldivers II…
If that loop is fun, then the developers did it right.

In Darktides case, the gameplay and biggest catch lies in the combat system. Its the selling point for the entire game IMHO. The way to change and adapt your playstyle all depends on weapons.

Its just so sad to think that this deep system cannot be explored, because it relys on alot of RNG elements (and the karking locks). The minimum they can to, is to remove locks and make blessings easier to obtain.

Jackal, sometimes you have many boneheaded takes but this… this actually unequivocally shows you fundamentally do not understand what you are talking about in the slightest. Do you just learn what a word is and start spewing it without comprehending it’s actual meaning? What is the gameplay loop of Darktide.

Queue up mission, kill enemies, find resources, complete objectives, extract. Do it again, that is a LOOP, you LOOP those activities. You say it is just Gameplay, yes it is gameplay, it is a LOOP of GAMEPLAY that you do. Do you understand yet? Or do you need more explanation?

The gameplay loop is this; lots of enemies come at you, and you must “solve” a 4D puzzle to move on. On low difficulties this means just mashing m1, on high-difficulties it means movement, pattern recognition, target prioritization, all under pressure. In a few moments it will all be different, hence the 4D part.

This is the same formula that OG Doom and Mario both do, and why they’re timeless. There are correct and inccorrect answers to the puzzles with varying degrees of failure state, from death to just taking longer.

On top of this, the various features of the melee weapons means that your possible actions are more complex than with most first-person shooters. Most guns have 1, maybe 2 modes of fire, but in 'tide games your weapons have combos that you can mix and match, giving you many options.

This is what I mean by ‘core gameplay loop’; I don’t care if you think otherwise, because this is how I’m defining it.

Of course, as others mention, there are other ‘gameplay loops’. I just consider this the ‘core’ loop of 'tide games.

That literally has nothing to do with my argument. We are talking about video games and basic video game design terms like core game-play loops.
This quite literally means the game play activity that you interact with over and over again.

If you cannot see that queuing in to a match, completing a objective, finishing the map, getting rewards and doing it over again is not a quite literally by design then i don’t know what to say.
The term used to describe this activity is quite literally core game-play loop.

So stay ignorant i guess?

I’m personally not a fan of some aspects of this community either, but you literally have no moral high ground to stand on either judging by your previous posts.

You could actually argue that every game has that loop. Even with some story rpgs you can generally repeat the story again with different choices and actions, its just that the loop instead of taking 30 minutes takes potentially 60 hours and has many other embedded mechanics.

I was mostly thinking of games with a very clear loop in them. Visual Novels and Garrys Mod aside, your take makes sense to me.

Yeah sandboxes(I think that’s what garrys mod is?) are bit interesting because you expect the players to create their own fun.
But generally i believe the clearer you can define what you want your players to be doing the easier it is to throw some curveballs and other mechanics around that.

That would then include you, which I won’t argue with at this point.

weeeeell

On the real though brother, this behavior ain’t normal. These are people you’re talking to, whose sole offense of having differing perspectives is producing wildly unacceptable behavior in yourself that you should be reasonably expected to be able to self-regulate away from public eyes. If all else fails, try taking one of these:
image

Bare minimum expectation: Remove the locks.

One better: Also unlock all the blessings.

Both could be done quickly and would reduce the RNG to just needing to find a gun with the right base rating and stat distribution and the only thing time-gating you here is ordo dockets.

You’d still be at Brunt’s mercy for stat rolls but at least once you got something good you’d no longer have to deal with Hadron bricking it or the Milkman refusing to sell you the blessing(s) you want.

I’ve got over 500 hours in the game and only have 1 “Finished” build on each character because it’s so time consuming to put a new one together. I don’t experiment because Plasteel costs are prohibitive.

At what point should the game open up and let me more freely experiment with different gear without first needing to play the Armoury lotto for a good base, play the daily Milkman lotto for blessings, and the play the Hadron lotto for the right perks and blessings?

When do I get to just try stuff?

That’s what I want from a redone crafting system: Less RNG and more agency. I want to try different builds without needing to sink a ton of time and resources into acquiring the new gear only to find I don’t like it as much as what I already had.

Pretty much just this. If they want to expand playertime beyond that make it cosmetic.

I don’t have any expectation…

I don’t like the system, I can understand the locks…
I simply don’t see ANY way to make the system better if they keep the RNG…

And that’s the reason I don’t wait for their update and why I am disappointed by their post. First update will be about penance… I don’t care of them since they made some private.

Second will be crafting.
I said numerous times what I would have loved (points allowed by consecration level, we could choose freely modifiers, perks, blessings and could not modify it - a system where there would be no best weapon and where you would have to choose the strength and weakness of your weapon)… but if they just adjust their RNG system, this is just a waste of time for me.

And removing the locks is just… a bad solution… crafting would mean nothing without them (in their system). If they would go for this, I would prefer that they remove entirely the crafting and put standard guns with average stats and we could choose our perks and blessings. Anyways, removing the locks would mean that at the end of the day…
I already stock plasteels cause I don’t craft actually (I craft when I need a new weapon, and I have what I need actually). Without the locks, I would have no interest in collecting plasteel and would have too much of it…

Totally.

A few times I’ve asked the defenders of the RNG hellscape a simple question: On average, how much playtime do you think it should take you to acquire a weapon with the right perks and blessings and a “good” (doesn’t need to be perfect) set of stats?

I never get an answer to this. I like to throw out five hours. So five hours of playtime (10 missions, or about a week of playing 1-2 missions a day) should net you enough resources that statistically you’d be able to craft item “X”.

For Fatshark, their RNG heavy systems means you might get X in 1 mission or it might be literally infinite time. But it’s definitely way over 5 hours I think on average.

You can have a deterministic crafting system that still required “grind” but can also be predictable. So instead of it being “statistically likely” to get X in five hours, instead you WILL get it in 5 hours if you work towards it. This is kind of like how VT2 athanor system was.

The thing is, with a perfectly deterministic system you can pace things to make it take 100’s or even 1000+ hours to get everything fully unlocked. The difference is that along the way you can be using things you’ve actively built towards instead of just randomly happening into.

The best is that when you build something to spec, you can then enjoy playing with that item while you amass the resources to start building towards the next thing. So when you get bored of playing with X, you’re already to roll with with Y and keep the gameplay fresh. This is what FS is missing. If people feel stuck on X because they can’t ever get Y or Z to mix things up, they get frustrated, bored, and leave.

the problem is “Good” is not a hard thing, and from your complaints your idea of “Good” is so far above what fatshark considers “Good” in this game you will be deeply unhappy with anything sort of top-grade.