It would be much nicer if it did not have a cost increase per reroll.
Instead, items could come with everything locked by default and we can pay extra ressources to permanently unlock each slot initially.
First slot unlocks basically for free, then it gets more and more expensive for each additional slot that is unlocked for customization on the same item.
Increasing cost per reroll would be detrimental for anyone who wants to try out different things. Testing things already requires you to pay ressources to swap things around.
Either way, they should remove the lock icon, since it shows something negative.
They could simply add a positive icon instead, that shows when a slot is customizable.
A glowing border for example.
I would prefer if we could simply upgrade all 5 stats to 80 or 100.
That would make an upgraded item better than anything we can get as a drop.
Getting all stats to 80% and capping at 400 modifier level would not even be a big difference in weapon performance, when compared to our current 380 cap. But it would feel and look much better.
I would be fine with imperfect stat bars for more interesting choices. As long as we could alter them individually (probably only on reds).
Have a set amount of max point on a red (400). You can allocate points to stat bars, and lower them to gain more points. Increases above 80 costs double or something. So they can go to 100.
Only thing would arguably removing the universal damage stat bar, as I can’t think of any cases you don’t have that at or close to 100. Maybe if you’re using the breakpoint calculator it’s not quite 100.
By perks I think you mean blessings, blessings are the ones that do the unique stuff.
The problem with the current system is inherent with this response. Ok, well if nothing matters other than hitting breakpoints, than you can apply that same logic to blessings as a whole.
Again I’m not saying what I suggested was in any way an ideal solution. Just trying to figure out how a hidden potential concept can work, and random stats are not it. There’s no “hidden potential,” behind that, either a weappn is worth upgrading and hoping it isn’t bricked or it’s trash.
the community has done nothing but complain that they hate hidden stats since release, i’m assuming “hidden potential” was originally the stats and they just let you see it to make everyone happy.
not that anyone’s happy, but as all the people that called Deep Rock Galactic and Helldivers 2 “darktide killers” show, there’s a lot of people that don’t like fatshark games but are addicted to 40k’s themes.
I think this sums up my main critique of the current itemization system fairly well: if you’re working towards something specific, it’s frustrating to spend any amount of time not making any progress at all (despite how well you may be playing).
If the “front-end” of a weapon remained RNG, but there was a way to grind the stats up and pay to unlock perks/blessings, I’d be quite happy.
So in other perspective you saying FS sockpupeing their niche game templates as wh40k game and they failed it because the players want to play wh40k game and not a gatcha simulator ?
I imagine it must be some major rework of crafting that meets their goals of Player Engagement Metrics . If it were something simple crafting could’ve been hotfixed ages ago. I think it’s very likely the new system will have a grind like the current one with the only real difference being that you can clearly see how to get from point A to point B without RNG.
I’m hopeful for Reds (specifically for the Cosmetic aspect of them) but my expectations of this update are so low and distant that they’re lost in the Parisian Catacombs. Don’t get me wrong, it’s good they’re changing crafting. What is wrong is that Fatshark spent an extraordinary of time kicking the can, making the most pathetic concessions to player feedback about crafting in order to avoid changing the most detrimental mechanic in the gameplay experience. What have they decided to do when they capitulated to the countless negative feedback?
They made an announcement of an announcement about a future crafting update which implies they’re spending huge amounts of precious developer time to fix what could easily be fixed by simply breaking the locks. Precious time, given that FatShark has spent most of Darktide’s public lifespan only fixing the game. When I replied to the announcement and mentioned I’d put major content updates on my calendar for 2025, I wasn’t kidding for this precise reason. I find it hard not to believe that most of their efforts of this year will be spent on the crafting update.
Now, I am certain they’ve taken this course of action in the previously explained way because it would get significantly more measurable press and publicity if they made a big event out of it. That’s fine. What is not fine is if Fatshark only release a crafting rework with that specific update. The game is in dire need of substantial content. Even an update as big as the talent tree rework lost most of the playerbase in less than 4 months. Penances are not enough to keep interest in this game alive and neither is crafting.
I don’t agree that breaking the locks fixes the current itemization/crafting system entirely. There’s still mega RNG in blessing fishing/earning and getting ideal-ish stats on a weapon. Breaking the locks won’t help there. It would still suck to spend X hours to earn materials to farm blessings and not get the one you’re after.
And I’m not ready to despair about this new system. FS have made a much-lauded crafting system before in WoM’s Athanor – truth be told, I haven’t personally interacted with the system much – so they can make a better crafting system than DT’s or VT2’s base one. And the talent trees rework gives me nothing but hope for whatever they’re “spending huge amounts of precious developer time” on.
with the way they’ve handled season balancing, the gatcha simulator is the most accurate to the tabletop part of darktide. you clearly have no idea what goes on in 40k.
how exactly DID they “handle season balancing”? what is this supposed to mean in the context of darktide? There havent been any seasons to begin with, just 2 sizable patches
sometimes I read your posts and wonder if your’e an AI
no you nonce, i mean the seasons in warhammer 40k. they’ll release new models, advertise their great stats, then once people pick up their preorders nerf the crap outta them. what kinda game you think this is liscenced from?
as long as the grind isn’t so heavy that I need to grind a week for every weapon variant I want. That will also get old pretty fast. A day’s grind per piece of gear sounds reasonable.
What I said was not intended to suggest that breaking the locks is the magical panacea that will fix the game’s problems. I already outlined the most pernicious issue: lack of content that penances and crafting don’t fix alone. Even the talent tree update, which greatly improved the game, does not fix the problem. The main theme of my post is their time spent, their effort spent, and their updates. If they wanted to make significant progress on the problem in April, they absolutely could take great but simplistic steps. The problem with that is, again said, that there wouldn’t be much fanfare for it without the obligatory hype cycle and marketing, so whatever, here we are, let’s see what happens.
I don’t feel despair about the crafting update. It benefits my friends either way and it makes more godrolls even easier for me to get in the future where I’ll have an even greater amount of plasteel banked away. I read the announcement and most felt that their priorities are in a completely sketchy place.
They also made a good game once, you know? I like Darktide but the way it’s been handled is proof that past performance is not a reliable indicator of the future. Anyway, yes, WoM crafting was dead simple, the only good part of WoM besides Cataclysm and the Beastmen. The content Athanor was made for sucked and I had to find a premade to even bother with it. Most people never interacted with Athanor more than a few times like you experienced.
More importantly, Fatshark never applied its crafting principles to the rest of VT2 or even Darktide. This is intentional. It does not align with their goals. The system didn’t regress in the transition between VT2 and DT because they were stupid. They attempted to implement mobile gaming tier player retention principles at the crafting system to maximize player retention and it blew up in their faces. A similar failure happened with the Bogenhafen chests where you had to farm weeklies in order to have some distant chance at skins from a paid DLC. They can most certainly do better in the future but given the intensified money hunger they showed with Darktide so far I am certain I would be crazy to be optimistic about their work until the update is actually out.
If you want to use a Crucis Thammer to one hit KO a mutie with the charge shot, then you absolutely need specific blessings. This is well known and I literally just got advice and tried it the other day and yes, it works.
Regardless of whether you feel thats necessary or not, its a fact.
Personally, I dont go in for min-maxing, but I can see why people who just want at least reasonably powerful weapons to give them an edge would be frustrated by the current crafting system.
You can beat V2 Cata with grey weapons, but its deffo harder and your skill level needs to be higher the worse your weapon is. Same with power level overall in V2, it catagorically, verifiably, helps. DT is the same.
Also, I might engage in crafting a bit more if it wasnt so rng based, its the reason I dont, because Im not really up for wasting my time just to get an edge. If others want that tho? Who am I to judge!
100% it’s gonna be a grindfest in terms of amount of materials required, but zero RNG’s going to be involved. Because let’s be honest, we’re talking about Fatshark here.
In fact, if I remember correctly, it should be exactly like the crafting system they announced before launch ; the one where you gradually work towards your desired weapon. It only took them 2 years…