My full Psykinetic redesign

You can already do that to get toughness back, and every single bonus that scales off peril could arguably be “pre-heated” by building up peril when there is nothing to fight.

You could just as well argue that passive regeneration incentivizes people to move through the levels more slowly and intentionally delay their team to get more charges.

The giant advantage to doing it through quelling is that it allows you to control when you gain charges to a small degree, which makes all the talents that activate on gaining excess charges more interesting. They aren’t random anymore, if you can keep a loose count in your head of how much you’ve quelled you can activate them on purpose.

1 Like

Yes, and it’s not any better in that application either.

And I’d rather it was something the class consistently had and interacted with to spend.

This is also why, in a passive system, it scales with peril. Slower when more active, faster then less active. No one is going to stop moving for 30 seconds of downtime to get 5 charges, but if the only way to get charges is to vent peril, people are going to intentionally farm it because there’s no other way. That’s the advantage of a passive system that scales.

Since your system is also 200 peril (2 full bars quelled), it also massively slows down the entire process of even getting any of them, further requiring charging them up between hordes if spent. Peril venting is a bad system to get charges, just as bad as needing to kill things to get them.

Agreed. I’d like to see us be able to just generate charges by holding alt attack w/ brainburst out. 2 seconds for each one. BB uses them but casts instantly. Save up charges and dump them when you need them.

You’re free to disagree, but I don’t think charges through quelling is a bad system. It flows directly out of engaging with your class’ primary mechanic in all the various ways you can, and there should be an ample supply of charges in combat. Are you going to see some psykers get themselves an extra charge or two during an elevator ride? Sure. Not any different than someone slapping down an ammo box if you ask me.

I also like the potential for generating extra charges deliberately in a fight. It emphasizes an ebb and flow of warp energies to work into powerful attacks. Allowing yourself to generate peril and using various means of getting rid of it factors into being effective.

I don’t see the appeal of a system that punishes you for being more active. The number of charges you can generate in a mission in total in your system is primarily determined by how much time the Psyker spends at low or zero peril. Anyone who actually uses their powers a lot simply generates fewer charges.

At that point it would be better to simply make them regenerate passively without making your abilities interfere with the rate of regeneration.

1 Like

I like this, give the Psyker the option to take a bolter and it’d be a good representation of Psi-Bolts

3 Likes

Or at least a less potent variation. But Psi-Bolts nonetheless.

1 Like

Yea, it’s basically a poor man’s psy-bolt. Just forcing additional kinetic energy into the projectile as it impacts. I don’t think psykers can actually equip a bolter in Darktide though.

2 Likes

Sadly not. Not yet anyway.

1 Like

Yet another b u m p .

1 Like

Seems this isn’t getting additional attention.

ahem

bump

1 Like

They know but they’ve always followed their internal logic about balance, for better or worse, and definitely with too many marketing fantasist considerations (“let’s take a year to balance SoT after we really milk that DLC”).

There are a lot of topics that were hotly debated after launch that are kind of on ice right now with people just waiting to see if Fatshark is going to do anything. Unfortunately they haven’t acknowledged that they will do anything with the Psykinetic, but they also haven’t made any substantial changes to it at all despite a mountain of topics detailing the problems with it, so maybe they are working on it.

2 Likes