Make Ogryn immune to ranged fire stagger

With Ogryn’s inability to use cover like most classes and its lack of precise ranged options for dealing with gunner units, it makes me personally feel like the only tool I can bring is the slab shield, as its my only way of warding off ranged fire and having cover that actually protects me. I want to use Ogryn’s other tools, but it feels like I’m handicapping myself and (almost literally) shooting myself in the foot. I think Ogryns, due to their size, should be immune to being staggered by anything other than reapers and snipers. This prevents Ogryns from having their bullcharge eaten by ranged weapon fire on start up, allows the slab to retreat to a safer position around walls where they can take cover, and allows more weapon options to be available to the ogryn without feeling like they should have just brought a slab shield.

12 Likes

Honestly I think Ranged stagger should be removed or heavily reduced across the board, but Ogryn probably needs it the most

6 Likes

This is a holdover bug from VT2 since ogryn seems to have just been given the foot knight charge.

allows the slab to retreat to a safer position around walls where they can take cover, and allows more weapon options to be available to the ogryn without feeling like they should have just brought a slab shield.

Most ogryn that do best in damnation don’t use the shield from what I’ve seen (And personally play). Better positioning and awareness will do more for you than relying on the shield to save your butt when you get caught flat footed.

I wouldn’t be averse to some changes to ogryn in general but these things just aren’t true. Part of the problem is that people get in very, very bad habits from lower difficulties. (Also a lot of ogryn never use the slide and rarely dodge from what I’ve seen)

Ranged units in general likely need some tweaks (Such as not totally murdering your momentum if your toughness breaks mid slide and leaving you sitting there like a moron stuck in crouch) but I’m not sure totally removing all stagger from ranged is the way to go about it. (And would likely only enforce bad habits) I think removing/reducing the stagger ogryn get on toughness breaking might be a good middle ground and directly synergizes with the fact that they’re more about generating toughness as fast as possible over keeping it.

Immune no ; have a buffer maybe/probably.

Some kind of immunity to ranged stagger would be good, maybe something conditional.

What I would do about shooters generally:

• No stagger when they’re hitting your toughness bar
  • I believe most ranged attacks have a 3x multiplier against toughness, for all shooter trash and also shotgunners I’d lower that to 2x. All other ranged elites/specials are probably fine
  • Make Dreg stalkers suppress easier and make them more inclined to swap to melee when close

I don’t think this is just an Ogryn issue. Fix that stuff outlined above and I think most people would be happy.

Yes I somewhat agree, said something similar before too

In my opinion, sprinting while you have stamina, you shouldn’t be effected by ranged stagger from non-special enemies. This would give the ranged battles a better flow. Sliding gives ranged immunity, not just stagger, spamming slide is just annoying and looks stupid.

It feels especially bad on ogryn but enemy ranged stagger needs to be toned down in general. There are many areas such as The Hourglass mission where “good positioning” is non-existant with the players being shot from improbable to impossible places above, below, and through walls.

As ogryn, even while playing perfectly sliding around like the try-hardiest mlg gamer, you’ll eventually get hit and then stunlocked and forced to face tank bullets from all directions with no options to retreat or charge.

1 Like

I find this the most frustrating. The ability shouldn’t be cancelled by ranged fire, you should always charge.

Stagger immunity would be a nice addition to the buff you get from Bull Rush and easy to implement.

2 Likes