Lets talk about Skulls

3 Likes

i’m pretty sure thats left 4 dead but since i didn’t play or watched footage from it, i don’t get the reference :flushed:

was at a time when i was oversaturated by zombie games.

Hardly oversaturated if the other game is age old.

But I think it was supposed to be posted in Vt2. With the geheimnisnacht event

huh? what i meant was when left 4 dead was a thing i was bored with the zombie theme in games, for having played an abundance till then.

Ah, L4D2 – good times with split-screen co-op!

I suppose gnome skulls would be smaller than an average human skull…?

Darktide implemented finding skulls to the missions. These have quickly become a find one and forget type of event.

My friends and I have been having fun finding them, except whats the point? The team receives no buff (or debuff towards the enemy) for finding one. The skulls also do not have a full re-supply of stims or ammo/medkits.

The point with the gnome in L4d is you had to sacrifice your ability to fire while carrying it. I was hoping Skulls in darktide would have a similar path.

Also, considereing its 40k, what is the lore implications of these skulls anyways?

2 Likes

Its a comparason to Darktide adding skulls to missions for an achievement/penance.

“I know one thing, I’m grabbing pills.”
Ahh. I miss coach.

Gnome was an optional challenge unlock in the funfair mission. Had to find him and carry to the end (he could be dropped and picked up again). Not sure that it had any more replay ability than skull finding though.
Ymmv I guess.

Funny how similar those old specials behaved to current DT ones come to think of it: tank, charger, smoker, spitter, hunter, boomer. They’re all here.

2 Likes

Why? I’ve got mine fine thank you.

Smoker doesn’t really exist tbh, could see one be introduced either with Plague Toads (hooking with the tongue) or with a simple dude with a Harpoon launcher

1 Like

Well it does - in a form of a Trapper.

Spitter and Smoker have the same dynamic as Flamer/Tox Flamer and Trapper.

It’s the rest of the specials/elites that are different from L4D enemies (except for Mutant and pox hound - mutant is a Charger but with catch and release or catch, mash a bit and then release attitude and pox hound is hunter but without steroids).

Isn’t the Smokers reeling in the Survivor quite different ?

1 Like

Jockeys still give me nightmares

On topic though, I get the feeling I will forget the Martyrs Skulls even exist before long. Anyone touched any recently? I got that crap done with and just got back to my usual programming schedule.

Its just some chump change in plasteel, right? If it was credits I might be convinced. Even then, some of them are such a ball ache to retrieve.

Had some fun with the parkour though, which was unexpcted.

2 Likes

But there is a gnome in the game, its called the yellow power cell on Mercantile. Don’t use it for the skull, just don’t drop it in the elevator so you can take it to the end, plop it in the center of the Gut Bucket and fight in its glorious orange glow. And then take it back to the ship for progeny.

1 Like

I try to get the martyr skulls still, but ever since I discovered the plasteel you get from them is a one time thing AND the quantity is tied to difficulty I’ve felt less inclined. Don’t even get the "You helped someone bonus much these days.

2 Likes

I feel like the purpose of finding one could have some significance during the mission.

But I guess you’re right. A mundane box checked is probably better than adding a re-occurring reason to go get them. This would no doubt cause frustration with teammates who didn’t care, have a language barrier, or even create the dreaded “meta” routes players would establish as the norm, which is something FS mentioned they want to avoid in darktide.

100% all of this. I really dig the skulls, and I think it’s so cool that FS added all these little secrets and custom bits of functionality/set pieces to obtain them, and even went so far as to add little lore-y dialogue lines to them. Super smart also to tie a small reward to them, so if you do play with some new blood, you get a little incentive pat on the back for helping them.

But I do NOT want to have to do these puzzles every run or agonize over the team getting split in two because someone wants to rush and someone wants to do them. I’ve been in runs that have been lost over them, just like grims/tomes in VT2, and it’s agony.

The implementation we have now is great. Doubly so with the heretical idols, which are the zero-down-time-but-extra-rewards solution for the players who want a meaningful mini-game in every match.

2 Likes

The purpose of the skulls was to satiate people’s complaints about the plasteel drops before they buffed it to 1k plasteel per game.

Interesting, in-game currency is irrelevant to me. I don’t see why FS would accommodate any currency other than aquila.

2 Likes

Because people be complainin’.

1 Like