Let us choose missions

What exactly was the thinking in timed mission swaps? I am sitting here waiting for my mission for penance to pop up RNG… this is terrible design

11 Likes

pLaYer rEtenTiON

8 Likes

Something something servers

Something something multiplicative arrangement

8 Likes

means nothing to me

2 Likes

I just dont understand why they did it. I could say that about a lot of stuff tho.

4 Likes

I think FS didn’t understand when players asked for Randomly Generated Maps. Not sure why they thought the QP feature in Vermintide needed changing, wish they would speak about it their design decisions.

1 Like

they needed to do something to move away from P2P which “everyone wanted”, they went with a dynamic matchmaking system since those are less congestion than just having blank servers.

1 Like

That makes sense. They moved away from the host connection for dedicated servers. Wonder why a dedicated server can’t have all the maps in a pool?

This didn’t clear it up for you? :stuck_out_tongue:
It’s more since it’s server hosted they don’t want to create every map with every modifier combination available and it’s not resource efficient and costly to host.

Also probably why solo mode isn’t a thing because you’re using an instance for 1 person instead of 4. And the bots aren’t in a place they’re happy with.

Addendum: I was fine with P2P personally. I don’t think it was worth the switch. Mods, solo, loading times, needing online, random maps, etc.

4 Likes

Im genuinely pleased the game doesnt end now when the host leaves.

Nothing worse than the host dies and decides to ragequit ruining the game for everyone else and wasting time. Iv had days where thats happened several times in a row, that can be over an hour of time which I feel is wasted.
The reality is, in V2, I have no need to win anymore. Idc about reds or min-maxing and just playing is its own reward, but Im also human and I like to win and I like to “feel” accomplishment.

To have that snatched away by some immature player is uniquely frustrating.

Nope, it was immeasurably complex for me to understand :rofl:

edit: I just found out you can edit single words in a post! Awesome!

4 Likes

Let us choose missions

It ain’t happening.

If none of the other arguments here convince you, consider this: let’s say you want Ascension Riser High Intensity Shock-troop Gauntlet on Damnation, but literally no one else in your region wants to play that mission and your friends are all playing Helldivers.
Is it better if you have some fun in any other available mission meanwhile with everyone else, or if you can’t find a party and fail to finish the mission solo after spending your evening trying? Which of these scenarios is more likely to make you stop playing the game?

I dont think it needs to be one or the other.

There could be a list of all missions with no modifiers except the difficulty precisely like V2. Then we can have what we already do i.e. random missions with modifiers that rotate on a timer.

The best of both worlds.

1 Like

it’s one or the other. the vermintide issue is exactly this. you get a bunch of people only hosting the exact thing they want to do and as a result nobody’s playing, then the log off and go around saying the game’s dead. the best overall option for the game is a managed mission system like this one, even if the players feel like they could get by trying to outwait the other players to fill their room fatshark has the metrics to see it doesn’t work out that way.

Yes, If that’s the case I would ask for a lobby list of available games, so you can see the modifiers you’re jumping into.

2 Likes

I guess I dont see that as I generally QP in V2 and if I host its usually because I want to play alone. Perhaps Im just the anomaly.

It’s been brought up before, myself included. To have all maps available for all difficulties without modifiers or secondary objectives just to have em available. Just like VT2 (why aren’t more things in Darktide like VT2). But yeah it would work.

Although honestly I would still mostly just play damnation quickplay and go where the wind takes me… Would just prefer to be able to swap classes based on team comp when I am dropping in and preferably before the mission starts.

1 Like

Major Darktide weaknesses:

• Unable to select mission, and mission difficulty modifiers at will
  • Broken audio (to some degree fixable by the Spidey Sense mod)
  • Malicious by design itemisation and crafting
  • “live” service promise not really being delivered
  • Cosmetic shop not fit for purpose: FOMO and use of “digital” currancy

VT2 was superior in many ways here, but: audio issues are inherit to the engine and have NOT been fixed since VT times. The DLC model was superior. Mission select system was superior. even if stuff like deeds missing the mark. Dees - optional game difficulty modifiers are rare, one use only item. Who came up with this “briliant” idea?. VT2 crafting was also RNG driven and tedious, but less so in the end with the red item rarity.

Finally Darktide handles the game “heroes” and story telling in inferior manner. The overarching story is poorly fleshed out. Darktide player characters are fairly bland cosmetic hangers when compared to The Ubersreik Five.

2 Likes

QP VT def needed changing as well, there was a lot of repetitive missions just like DT. On some days when you look at the server browser there’s just 80% single map.

DT could use a server browser and ping limiter

1 Like

GaaS design. If they ration the things we want, we don’t get bored of them as fast.

Which map do you think would be DT’s Dust2?

easy, holding the supply yard. it’s that or the aegis station mission as straightforward missions go and the aegis mission is the more annoying of the two to navigate. people love missions where there’s not a bunch of breaking from a defensible poisiton to fix an auspex.