Lack of Solo Play is driving me nuts

I’ve been waiting since day 1 to be able to play this game solo, I don’t want to deal with other players as I’d be 100% more comfortable with 3 other bots. I got my hopes up when I saw Private Games option but that got destroyed near immediately when I found it it requires 2 people minimum.

I’m also aware of a mod to add in singleplayer, but as the mod says it doesn’t support progression/rewards I don’t want to use that either.

I’d be perfectly fine waiting if we got given an actual date of it, rather than being told it’d be in December 2022

10 Likes

It is a bit weird you can’t start a private match solo.
It would also benefit the community at large. Sometimes I’m waiting for a friend and would like to start a match, being sure that he could join. As it is I’ve got to wait in the morningstar.

3 Likes

While I understand that people are upset about promises not kept,
I wonder why people still ask for solo, especially if you plan to play on higher difficulties.

First. There is no campaign to speak of.
So no real reason to do missions “in order”, since there is none.

The Bots are morons and kill themselves regularly, though I must admit that sometimes human players are even worse. At least the Bots stay by your side.
But they can’t do objectives, can’t pick items and don’t focus on important targets/tasks.

Solo really makes no sense in this game.

The only argument is that this game is dead, as soon as FS shuts down the servers.
Which is why I hope there will be a long term option to host this game player side/solo.

Just IMO, you don’t have to agree. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I get it. People want to play at their own pace, smell the nurgle infested roses, loot every box, etc. or rush ahead without worrying about other people.

If I had to guess it’s because they’re hoping forcing people to play together will make it feels more alive. To get outside your comfort circle. And to be honest I used to only ever play solo/offline or with friends. I played all of HD1 exclusively solo too. It wasn’t until DRG deep dives and VT2 I started doing PUBS. PvP games had ruined my expectations and social perceptions. Then after being kinda forced I realized most people on average in a PvE game are pretty decent and I started actually intentionally playing PUBs.

The other thing I recall them saying is they wanted to make better bots before doing solo. And I guess it’s a balance between making the bots good enough for solo but not so good people wanting optimal runs only ever play solo because bots are better than pubs.

Also the penances. Some you have to do in private matches so… Solo should be there for that.

Also, what’s your opinion on crafting?

4 Likes

In many threads many reasons have been stated - here a few:
Playing at your own pacing
Goofing around without ruining anyone’s experience
Not having to interact with other pe

If it was locally hosted like in the mod:
Playable with bad (or no) internet connection
No hitreg issues
Ability to choose mission and modifiers

If it had your spare characters as bots like in Tertium five:
Ability build the whole team for synergies
Have your characters interact with each others → more immersion.

3 Likes

Okay, good reasons.

1 Like

they dropped the idea, they’ve admitted it. like many of fatshark’s ideas with DT it ended up not being workable, which is no surprise as someone who played vermintide one and can spot the same assisting AI.

they dropped the idea

Yeah. It really really feels like that, and I couldn’t be more upset about it. Almost feels like a scam, paying for a product with a feature that doesn’t exist.

3 Likes

I assume that, with the game not being built from the ground up to support local hosting, getting progression and itemization the way they want (questionable as it may be to many) on a player-hosted game without risking people tampering with the progression system has proven a tall order.
The game is built around dedicated servers, and using a server slot for a single player I understand to be uneconomical. Thus, the most obvious reason to me they are not doing it is infrastructure.
Doubt that will change, either. It doesn’t exactly promise profits, and once the game is running, keeping the servers doing the same is probably their main concern.

3 Likes

Just to do it on my on pace and completely solo without Bots even.
Immerse, search the levels do it all for yourself and on your own pace and difficulty level.
Would be a nice way to play this game and a welcome variety to Coop for me.

They should add offline AI director. Even if it means increasing game install size to hold the extra data to generate enemy spawns.

Means if FS shut down their servers. Can still solo as single player game.

I remember 20 years ago using Battle.LAN app. Me and my friends would play LAN only games over internet. Never need dev servers for multiplayer. More up to date method are people hosting VPN server for friends to play older games now.

Now imagine if can play offline, local AI director and also benefit of LAN multiplayer over internet without needing their game servers.

DT Progression is held server side, so it would mean inventory would be separated from online and offline character say.

1 Like

This is a co-op game.

And industry standard is that 4 player coop games feature a solo mode - like left for dead or vermintide…

4 Likes

And?

1 Like

Let me add some more to the list

-AI for all it’s fault are better teammates than +50% of player teammates somehow

-AI bots are predictable even when they’re bad so you can play with them in mind, whereas no amount of skill can handle a deadweight in co-op

-AI bots can be custom tailored to suit your style as a player, especially in Darktide where the characters are even more open-ended

-dont have to worry about waiting forever for your party to fill up regardless of time of day

-AI bots don’t rage quit

1 Like

Yeah like I said last thread this came up its always the same 2 badly thought out arguments.

“But bot bad”

“Lol, its a co-op. Don’t be anti-social.”

There’s no reason to not pay the modders who already did the work and acknowledge them on the launcher on patch day.

FS gets good PR I get to come up with the optimal bot builds for my team like I did in VT2.

Win win.

3 Likes

Would that need also a rework of the levels?
Because you need someone to cover you for doing the objectives.

Total solo seems to be a bit awkward at least…

Other than ones with hacking events where you have to stealth its all doable true solo without any specific build. Not easily by any stretch of course, but doable.

Hab Dreyko as an example is a popular true solo map when people are trying to showcase how good they are.

I’ve no idea why they’d choose that one, but I’m not good like them so…

EDIT: Forgot to say point is with bots it’s all very doable. VT2 on cata was downright easy once you set up your bot team properly.

no not needed, because every class has abilities, grenades that help with that or you can just clear the room first or do Missions that dont ask you to operate much.

No need, that’s what bots are for

Otherwise Athel Yenlui would be impossible in Vermintide