Is Flaming Flail's Heavy 1 ever going to get fixed?

Cataclysm obviously. Don’t know if it works on bodyshot though. Considering that the Charge 1 attack on Flaming Flail is a straight up-down attack it is actually difficult NOT to headshot. Maybe it doesn’t work on bodyshot.
But considering that I can reproduce the effect reliably (normally use it on Unchained but just to be sure I tested right now with Battle Wizard since she has no melee bonus talent aside from the attack speed one) and I just assume that my aim is not that good I would say: Yes, works on bodyshot too. Or it is really literally impossible not to headshot.

Also, not everything is about dps. The Flaming Flail is there for me to keep elites at bay, regenerating thp, fighting mixed hordes with low risk and still do more than enough damage.

The attack doesn’t generate thp either. It is actually pretty poor thp generation with any thp talent. Stagger only works with heavy 2 and the none of the attacks cleave much outside of Heavy 2 either. Kill would be pretty miserable unless you’re playing a chaos map with some bots. I guess it provides decent control. Not as good as flame sword and not as much damage overall either, though. It’s certainly one of the weaker weapons in the game by any measure. Also, it doesn’t even bypass shields on all attacks like the normal flail. So even that niche is kinda blunted.

2 Likes

I don’t like flail tbh, i see everyone praising it but i’m not sure why. The stagger is nice tho.

Also flamesword heavy is kinda busted aswell so ofcourse it will have more control/dps

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t get it either.

Well, the Charge 1 sets everything into the highest stagger state and downs maulers and stops CWs. And then you can follow up with either Charge 2 or normal attacks which adds to damage. And with chaining the Charge attacks you can easily fight two CW’s or 3+ other elites.

DPS may be higher on Fire Sword but control feels better to me on the Flaming Flail. It just works better if you have mixed hordes. Don’t like the Fire Sword though. The Flail weapons are in my opinion actually perfectly balanced (Satlzpyre’s definetely perfectly balanced, stagger on Flaming Flail may a tiny tad to high).

Do you think they are better than the other options on wiz/salts or is that just your preference for weapon strength?

If you qq heavy 1 on Fire Sword it’s the same as QQ’ing a shield bash. Exact same stagger profile. I think Heavy 1 on Flail has slightly more stagger strength, but way less horde control/mixed elite control.

I guess it’s not my kind of weapon. I understand the stagger it does and how it’s easy to pull out certain elites in a horde. Maybe i just got used too much to crowbill and i use my staff to clear most trash mostly. I can see it being used on uc but even for her i don’t really enjoy it.

On Saltzpyre I would consider the Flail in the middle ground, not to strong and not to weak. Personally, I consider Axe&Falchion and Billhook overtuned while Axe and Falchion are below the average. The Rapier is on the edge. At least it needs a bit of finesse for usage.

For Sienna I would consider the Flail on the upper side, on par with the Fire Sword and the Crowbill. These are the weapons which you will see if you play Cataclysm and Legend quickplays. Mace you don’t see outside of experiments and I think it is more or less the worst weapon in the game. Dagger I don’t see often which is strange. Because technically nothing is wrong with the dagger. Maybe it is just not a weapon for quickplay. The sword is tough to evaluate mainly because of the existence of the Fire Sword. This isn’t even necessarily the fault of the weapon balance but due to the existence of Flame Based talents (both for Unchained and Battle Wizard).

But yea, I generally value stagger and control over dps. It is my personal preference. I used shields before WoM because I like the gameplay and I like having my safe space and creating the same for my team mates. Have always been more of a defensive player.

And obviously, I think that a lot of DPS weapons are a tad overtuned due to my nature.

I see where you’re coming from, now. I don’t really value control that much past a certain point because they changed the flinch mechanic on trash mobs. I generally find elites pretty easy to avoid so once the horde is relatively controlled, most weapons feel pretty safe for me.

This is my weapon ranking for wiz by career (low to high):

BW: Mace, flail, sword, crow bill, dagger, fire sword
Pyro: Mace, flail, fire sword, sword, crow bill, dagger
UC: Mace, dagger, flail, fire sword, sword, crow bill

Obviously, if you take fireball, crow bill becomes more useful and if you take a bolt staff then the horde clearing weapons become more useful, but that’s the general ranking in my experience.

I agree with you that flail is better than falchion. Flail and Axe are about the same for me on salts. 2H swords are better than both imo and Rapier/A+F/Bill Hook are all clearly a tier above the other weapons.

So I think we’re pretty close on where flail is in the meta, just differing opinions of what is OP.

Wait didn’t you just say that…
Oh.
Right.
There goes English is being English again.

3 Likes

I don’t think this is an issue with the english language. The same could happen in german. Granted I could have swapped the order in the second sentence to make it clearer. But usually when I am talking about the dual weapon I am using “&”.