Idea to make Shotguns better: Replace Stability with Penetration

Tbh, I have no idea why did they put stability as a stat for a weapon that is 95% time not used on auto fire.

Penetration would make much more sense.

8 Likes

I also wish mobility actually meant something on weapons. Always a dump stat for me.

4 Likes

I’d honestly prefer a custom version of “penetration” for shotguns - something that allows more armor to be penetrated based on how close you are.

2 Likes

It’s more important than you think. On high difficulties, good dodges and stamina management are vital to staying alive - with a lower mobility stat, they’re a lot weaker.

Generally I think you only need enough mobility to max out the dodges. For me, the dump stat is usually Damage - the difference on most weapons is not enough to really matter, especially fast-firing ones.

1 Like

They should really get rid of this on shotguns because it makes their bad programming even worse. The shotguns will be at a random coordinate in their sway animation when you ADS unless you load in a slug with Agripinna which tells me they’re aware of this but just don’t want to fix it.

Try using a low stability Lawbringer, you’ll randomly hit headshots for very little damage when aiming. Remap your crosshair and discover why…

Make the Penetration give it possibly more enemies cleaved. The shotguns really need more cleave without Manstopper, especially with the massive Scattershot nerf.

2 Likes

It’s rare that I do Hi-Everything-Maelstrom-Tier5s. I do do them. It’s rarely stamina that does for me when we go down, mind you.

I can see that mobility is key on a melee weapon. I always favour something a bit faster. I like a knife.

But dodging with a gun? You do that a lot? Enough to hit the dodge count? Have you not switched to melee by that point?

I mean, each to their own, and I’m not saying that you’re not right. But I’m not dodging a lot with a gun in my hand. I’m much happier having all the other stats except mobility. Taking a shotgun in mind as the topic of this one (and I know I said a blanket all guns, so fair enough, but…) - what is it on the Kantrael - 4 instead of 5 dodges at either extreme of the scale, 0.75 vs 0.85 dodge distance?

(source: Kantrael Mk IX Combat Shotgun - Darktide WH40k)

Could do with a reversion of the kantrael fire shot stealth nerf imo, limited cleave makes it quite terrible. Scattershot nerf probably wasn’t needed either, also they never fixed it being impossible to get 1 stack of scattershot. Would be nice if full bore carried over to melee (maybe it did before patch 17 idk).

Quite bizarre that the devs are out here dabbing on the sweet gentle shotguns while things like plasma/trauma/smite/columnus go untouched.

Would it? Shotguns aren’t designed around armour penetration, its their main downside. Still if you select your build / blessings right you can really put them to work. Whatever you use the tradional Full Bore + No Respite, or Man-Stopper + Scattershot / Full Bore etc. you can build quite well around all 3 shotguns.

I was pushing my Agripa shotguns vs competent Plasma players few weeks back, and results were fairly good if you consider Plasma power and cleave. Lawbringer is also crazy good witth Man-Stopper + Scattershot, especially on Blazing Piety Zealot.

Shotguns main downsides are inconsistent damage and reload time, but you have some workarounds, especially on vet.

I think that by Penetration they meant penetrating multiple enemies in a single blast rather than armor penetration.

If so, that’s cleave in the game speak, and already achievable with Man-Stopper and crit based builds.

2 Likes

Man stopper is a broken blessing.

There is no way they intended it to have INFINITE cleave.

building for cleave is sacrificing single target damage on the weapon that is only good for fast single target power. and those cleave shots are entirely random without also using scattershot, even deadshot or blazing piety isn’t reliable enough when you actually want something to cleave. and even then it isn’t actually that great, since shotguns that aren’t kantrael aren’t doing damage without also hitting the head.

shotguns really, really need to hit more than 1 enemy if the shot isn’t a kill (at which point you can hit 2). without man stopper.

Guns lacking cleave are at the distinct disadvantage when it comes to friendly fire as well.

I can shoot through my team mates all day long with a revolver or plasma gun. Not so much with a shotgun.

they have penetration- it’s under stopping power. the problem is that it’s based on the “Close-range” modifier, which is currently borked and you get the “damage cut in literally half” long range modifier at anything past point blank range.

it’s an ongoing bug issue, they are/were aware of it and they have not managed to fix it yet. it’s supposed to be shortrange at like 15-20 meters but the cut off is effectively 6-8, which is pretty much when you’d swap to melee.

My dream buff is giving them a magazine instead of reloading one shell at time

Something like this: https://youtu.be/WCHfMj2o5eY?feature=shared (the pump action can remain, I don’t demand they become automatic)

It’s a bit sad. In the glossary for both the old FFG TTRPGs (Only War, Dark Heresy, etc.) and the newer ones like Wrath & Glory, a “combat shotgun” is a self-loading type (either semi or auto) typically with a large magazine. Any shotgun that has to be manually cycled or reloaded between shots is just a “shotgun”.

So I was a bit disappointed when our tube-magazine pump actions were labeled “combat shotguns.” Especially since the baddies get drum mags.

i think we’ll get the drum-mag shotguns eventually- probably as a “braced” weapon that fires a bit faster and with less vertical spread with hipfire. i’m hoping it gets a bayonet too. i like that look. and shanking ragers in the face with those.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.