How did the dark tide turn out like this? What about the future?

After the new talent system was updated in October last year, the number of people playing the Dark Tide game online reached more than 30,000. After the end of the Traitor Curse update in December last year, Dark Tide’s steam players also maintained more than 20,000 people for nearly a month. Today, Dark Tide has only 2,000-3,000 players, which is the same level as Vermin 2.
The biggest reason is that Fat Shark has not added any new content in 3 months when it needs the most effort in the dark tide. As an online service game, this is fatal. I’m Chinese, and while online games run in China are criticized for pay to win, they guarantee a lot of content production and uninterrupted gaming activity. This is the focus of long-term active online game players, Fat shark such a production company, in China can not live for three months.
I think there are three things Fat Shark needs to do right now:
The first is to immediately release the update roadmap, communicate with players in the official forum, reddit, listen to the opinions of players, and add new content.
The second is to improve the quality of cosmetics, the current quality of cosmetics is too poor, many cosmetics are only the splicing of the past material so that players are very dissatisfied.
The third is to launch a major update to the game as soon as possible to boost the confidence of current players, and with confidence there is a future.
Dark Tide is a good quality 40K game, but if it dies because of the low update speed, it is not what players want to see, hope that Fat Shark can be industrious, there are many good games in 2024, time will not wait for Fat Shark, and will not wait for Dark tide. If a large number of players are lost for nothing, it will be the loss of Fat Shark.

7 Likes

Now I KNOW you’re not suggesting that Darktide goes P2W in the interests of maintaining itself…

7 Likes

The point is uarantee a lot of content production and uninterrupted gaming activity,not pay to win

1 Like

I think the real answer is:

1. NEW WEAPONS, NEW WEAPONS, NEW WEAPONS
  2. BREAK THE LOCKS ALREADY JESUS CHRIST
  3. NEW ENEMIES

I hope they dont just bulk release everything all at once. They need to release content every couple of weeks to keep people engaged. Not every 4 months then go on vacation.

8 Likes

You are talking about the details, I am talking about the development route. No conflict

1 Like

Playable “Emperor of Mankind”-DLC confirmed? 200 euros! :sweat_smile:

FS’s glacial development pace isn’t new. It’s been incredibly consistent and predictable for… probably coming up on a full decade by this point?

Like what is the point of yet another thread pointing out the incredibly obvious. None of us have sufficient info to analyse WHY they’re so unbelievably slow, and we’re even less equipped to suggest practical solutions to the issue.

Nothing you’ve said here is wrong. It’s just superfluous, dated, and supremely useless. I’m sure even FS themself is fully aware of what the optimal path forward would be. They’re also aware of their own Dev speed though. So they’re not gonna do any of your suggestions since your whole gameplan is entirely predicated on them magically starting to be twice or more as effective at pumping out updates.

I strongly suggest people stop wasting their time trying to backseat FS on how to run a business (they’re not gonna listen to you lol and TBH they shouldn’t be even if you’re right) and stick to… Y’know, discussing and giving feedback on the actual game mechanics. That’s the kind of feedback that has been proven to actually make it into patches down the line. Threads like this have literally never shown a scrap of changing a single thing.

6 Likes

i just don’t want see darktide die. I played 1000 hours of Dark Tide, this game if the slow update speed, I am not willing to die. So I gave advice to the fat shark on this forum, listen or not, I did my best

4 Likes

Darktide content is so dated by now that even if they gave everyone perfect Red gear and all cosmetics for free, people still wouldn’t return to the game. The game is barely different from launch beyond the skill trees and a handful of new weapons.

By the time the devs deliver on the system and bug fixes that should’ve been done 3~ months after launch, we will be 6+ months from now, at a point this game should have an expansion announcement, lol.

2 Likes

yeah,i know,maybe too late to darktide

Because that’s the main issue everyone sees at the moment. It’s hard to be served a rotten fish, and only be allowed to complain that your fries aren’t hot enough.

Because changing Thunder Hammer balance isn’t going to “fix” or “save” the game.

And I doubt they ever will. However people are frustrated, and some choose to vent their frustration through forum posts. As far as “catharsis posts” go this one is definitely on the tamer side and I don’t see any problems with it.

Lastly I do want to say that not everyone has been following Fatshark for that long. What you see as heavily retread ground other people see as the most pressing, need to be discussed issue.

I don’t think the game will die as some people are saying. It’ll just be VT 2 2. Lower playercounts, that go up pretty high when content drops and fall off again within a month or two. It’s just dissapointing that they’re going to follow that exact same route again.

4 Likes

I think in some ways it’s kinda worse off than VT2 for a niche section of the playerbase at least. A lack of modded realm means little ability for the community to “make their own fun” with absurd difficulty mods and community rebalancing. Ultimately your mileage will vary but I get enough enjoyment out of Tide games as something I sporadically binge over many years. I think it’s very effective as something you shift in and out of your off time roster, and with just how FS are most would benefit from just being a little philosophical about it, have fun with major rebalances and content additions when they do come, don’t sweat when they come, step away to other things when your interest wanes.

I appreciate people have a desire to vent, just find the discussion around here is much more interesting and less repetitive when instead it’s something like @Elodie sharing shotgun setups they’ve found work well, or discussing what niche different weapons should fill etc. It’s pretty tiring seeing repeated doom posting (or doom adjacent posting would probably be more accurate in this case). So I guess just take this as me venting back.

2 Likes

Fatshark tried to build the game as a live service but forgot the live and the service.

It’s literally just them being extremely bad at releasing things at speed.

They’ll get outcompeted by other horde co-op games. Helldivers 2 is currently taking their lunch money with four times DT’s peak and something like 50-100 times their current player count.

3 Likes

Pure ranged >< Melee centred.

Compare Chivalry, Mordhau… against CoD, Battlefield, Fortnite…

I can have ideas of game development and such. But I can also understand that I know VERY little about actual game development. The meetings, the coding, the long argues process of making the patches, getting everything to work etc.

It’s easy to just sit and say “Lol just fix this, just add more maps, add more enemies”. These things take time. Could it be done faster than Fatshark? Probably, most likely. But that’s not how they do it, and haven’t for almost a decade.

Although I want more and faster, I can still respect that they are a successful company making successful games. And good games at that. I’ll add some critique every here and there, but I never presume to know better than a multi-million dollar earning company with hundreds of people a lot smarter than me (both in general, and when it comes to making world class video games).

Perchance.

“Sometimes when I wipe, I’ll wipe and I’ll wipe and I’ll wipe and I’ll wipe 100 times, still poop, still poop. It’s like I’m wiping a marker or something.”

1 Like

As far as average player counts go (yes I know steam charts is far from the perfect metric but its the best we have) Vermintide 2 was doing a decent chunk better than Darktide a year and a couple months after launch, although you can probably say part of that is the playerbase is split between both games atm.

Is that the best thing to do? Probably. Still infuriating that that’s pretty much what you *have * to do. Biggest thing for me is honestly maps (and I guess lack of variety within), and I don’t know how hard it is to make 1 map but I wish it was faster.

That’s great but I have become completely apathetic on that front. There are weapon changes that I think could be interesting or fun that I don’t even have the desire to write a couple paragrahps for. Part of it is development speed etc, although part of it os definitely I hate where they’re taking the balance of the game. The Traitor Curse weapons are a bad direction for weapon design imo. If not being direct, objective upgrades from the old variants (chainsword, Evisc, Ogryn Shovels) it’s also leaning very far into the idea of 1 solution for every problem, and not even hard at all to pull off.

At the end of the day I don’t know exactly what I’m waffling about. I don’t have a desire to make a “catharsis post,” like other people. I guess for stages of grief I’m just unable to get over the acceptance part, that nothing will change, and Darktide won’t be special, just the same thing as before, no matter how much I wish it wasn’t the case.

Nurgle maxxing

12 spaces too many

Having a background in software development, I can totally criticise what I can infer from their output, mainly structural issues like versioning control and testing pipelines.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.