Halberd combo changes are going against weapon design philosophy of Vermintide

the double sweep is literally a new combo though, even if it couldn’t be infinitely chained

A new horde clear effective one, yes.

i also can grudgingly accept the stab chain as it fits the weapon in how it was used historically, but i really i miss the Heavy sweep as an opener. And you could do a double stab before with L1 → L2 stab → H2 stab. So the new stab chain isn’t a fresh thing visually.

The horde-clear repeatable chain of strikes with the axe though (L1 sweep ↔ H2 sweep), this irks me greatly.

We can say what we want about the intended gameplay design of the weapon (how capable it should be to hordeclear), but i think we can agree that the developers value immersion and believability of weapon handling in first person. There’s a recent Dev blog - Animating the Grail Knight , where its hinted that developers are interested into HEMA:

Some people don’t care at all about historical accuracy and don’t see a problem with halberd repeated axe sweeps, and that’s fine. But for someone like me, when i do the repeated axe sweeps, i think like “this is greataxe/greatsword in action, there’s no halberd to be seen”.

Lastly, enjoy this video i found just recently, a beautiful presentation of halberd techniques outside of formation:

1 Like

love that video

also why I would’ve loved to been able to make custom animations, being able to include an uppercut would’ve been swell…or any attack with the hook/spike

1 Like

Yes, the backspike is vicious on in-game illusions, it would be a great AP attack. The variance of halberd gameplay can be insane.

I remembered one thing about halberd illusions - the designs of weapon heads are shifted towards chopping, not thrusting. Halberds usually have a long spike that is way past axe blade, like in the video. Ingame illusions have shorter thrusting spikes, and wide&heavy axe heads, or ridiculously big in case of exotic&red.
https://vermintide2.gamepedia.com/Kruber's_Halberd/Illusions

So the fact that thrusts weren’t prominent with an old moveset made sense to me. If you add more weight to the weapon head, its gonna be progressively worse for thrusting, than a spear. Though the damage of thrusts could be greater due to added mass.

Its like swords. The term ‘sword’ alone doesn’t tell you what the weapon is geared towards.

1 Like

yeah the illusions are very awkward looking

like “Doom on a stick” legit looks like it’d pull every muscle in Kruber’s arms, shoulders and back to attack with it at the speeds he’s able to. Granted this is a fantasy setting and all our characters are practically superhuman so I’m willing to let it go :sweat_smile:

For real though if they rework halberd again to include a backspike attack I’m going to hook that juice up to my veins

3 Likes

And don’t forget the hammers, exe swords, or the biggest part of Bardin’s completely armory. None of those look like they could be realistically used as a weapon, as oversized and unwieldy they are. Aw well, in the Warhammer setting at least I can accept that.

4 Likes

Dawi weapons are not meant for flimsy umgi =)

Executioner has some starter illusions which are feasible. Greathammers though are all stupid, the Fauschlag or Sergeant’s Warhammer are lighter than others but still twice too big.

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, are they just unreasonable assuming real world human strength, or is their weight distribution/whatever so bad that, even if you had the superhuman strength to wield them, they’d still be very inefficient/ineffective to use?

1 Like

both tbh, although obvs for gameplay purposes we gotta let some things go :stuck_out_tongue: rule of cool and all that is a warhammer staple

2 Likes

even with strength to wield greathammers, they have too wide striking surface which is inefficient, because it dissipates force of the strike too much over a surface. At least that will be bad vs human sized opponents and totally against armor.

Also super strength is one thing, you need also more mass in your body to not be unbalanced while you swing a massive weapon. Imagine throwing all that weight at the end of the stick and missing, you’re gonna fly with it =D

Krubers hammer ‘The Mountain’ is a good example of looking cool and stupid at the same time imo:

3 Likes

most of the hammers are just big meat tenderizers lol

1 Like

It’s just a “rule of cool” thing.

An iron hammer the size of Kruber’s would legit weigh 100 lbs. The thing is the size of medium anvil after all. Put that on the end of a lever (aka a handle) and the force involved in swinging it would swing Kruber as much as the hammer. There’s simply no realistic way for it to work at all, unless Kruber weighs half a ton.

4 Likes

Explains how he can tackle a Troll, though.

5 Likes