Gameplay Feedback on Sire Melk missions

Hi.
I’ve played around 1200 hrs of Darktide. 100% completion on achievements (Steam).
Love the game to bits.
However.
My hours played per week have dipped over the past couple of weeks.
I derive enjoyment from completing the weekly Sire Melk missions on at least 2 characters.
These weekly missions for me are a fun loop to keep me playing the game during the week.

And herein lies the issue. We are given the opportunity to change the Sire Melk missions for a sum of money. But it gets incredibly annoying to change one mission(s) that keeps getting repeating on a loop.

For example:
I get a mission of
“Complete 6 missions with no player deaths”.
I click to change it and get a new mission, the new mission is
“Collect 16 grimoire or scriptures”.
I click to change it again, and then I get
“Complete 6 missions with no player deaths” again.
Ok fine, I click to change it, then I get
“Collect 16 grimoire or scriptures.” Again.
Np I say, I click to change, again, and again I get
“Complete 6 missions with no player deaths”.
Ok Melk this isn’t funny anymore. I click to change, and guess what I get,
“Collect 16 grimoire or scriptures.” AGAIN.
The worst it can get is when I spend around 250k or more trying to change the mission lol.

At this point I was like, Alt F4 Darktide, and went to play Helldivers or one of the recently released games on PC like Horizon Forbidden West or whatever. And there goes my weekly hours spent on Darktide decreasing again, and again, and again sadly.

7 Likes

Yeah getting the “pick up 16 grimoires” contract on loop is very annoying and another resource drain to the RNG machine.
Would be nice if you could pay to rotate the current item rotation for melk

2 Likes

I feel you. I can understand that it’s a type of “ordo dockets”-dump thing. But, if you wanted to make it ordo dockets dump, you could just give us a list that we can pick from for a price for each mission. So let’s say like this.

750 melee kills = 2500 dockets.
1000 melee kills = 7500 dockets.
4 Monstrosities kills = 2500 dockets.
6 Monstrosities kills = 7500 dockets.

So on and so forth. You basically pay a minimum for the trashiest of rewards, and a premium for the high-end rewards. Then, we can pick and choose what we want to do.

Realistically though, they need to add WAY more missions. Like “complete Maelstorm on Heresy/Damnation X times”, “run quickplay on Auric X amount of times”. Anything but “pick up trash books that aren’t worth anything that will take you 50 missions to complete because you can only carry one at a time and nobody else is silly enough to carry one of these pieces of garbage”.

I’m sure they can think of more interesting than “X amount of missions” too. Hopefully this is something they will look into in the upcoming changes.

1 Like

Oooh. That’s reminded me of an old idea of mine.
https://forums.fatsharkgames.com/t/how-melks-challenges-could-work

The whole “bribing” Melk thing doesn’t seem to fit the whole bounty hunter theme, at least for me. He has a range of jobs that need doing, we should be able to pick which ones we want to do.

The only reason money comes about - seemingly - is because this is yet another cash (aka) time sink mechanic linked to rng.

Mini Rant now… :wink:

TBH When I think what they could do with Melk - e.g. objectives a bit like mini-penances - I think his contract part of the game is poor. Where’s the kill demonhosts specifically? Or kill specials. e.g. What’s that? We’ve a set of active map conditions with snipers/low viz in the maps? Ok → let’s have some quick sniper contracts for a few hours.

It’s just not joined up in to a cohesive world imo. We have the game which is ace (10/10): then we have these things around the side that are supposed to incentivize the game but do the opposite (3/10).

This does not align with my experience. I have noticed -quite a long time ago- that they rotate through all the options you have not seen FIRST before they start to repeat. Once they start to repeat, who knows, but if you are there, you already messed up and missed what you wanted.

Of course, different levels for the same options (the low/med/high complexity, such as kill 750 (med) vs kill 1000 (high) ) don’t seem to count separate options and it also seems to count “kill scabs” of either melee or ranged variety as just a single option rather than 2 and the same for the “kill dregs” missions. The trick to get the missions you want cheaply is to stop at the first instance of it.

I know because I ALWAYS cycle around to both the pickup plasteel/diamantine missions because they are free marks. Then I take “kill monstrosities” and “kill scabs/dregs” if I feel like going for a completion.

1 Like

I can unfortunately say this is not true and the OP’s idea would be a nice change. I’m very happy for you that you have experienced it this way.

But for me, I actively have spent 1 million ordo dockets before, going through every option but the option I want, on repeat. It usually gets down to ‘the last bounty’ when this happens, I tend to go for ‘diamantine, plasteel, monstrosity’ and then the kill bounties of choice be it ranged or melee, as you do.

But I’ve had multiple occurrences, even just this week, of going ‘16 scripts/grims, no player deaths, kill scabs with ranged (going for melee on zealot), no player deaths, scabs with ranged, grims/scripts’ before FINALLY hitting ‘scabs with melee’.

And that’s a ‘good rotation’ for me, for as stated, I once on my veteran spent 1million dockets without realizing it as I just kept re-rolling looking for ranged, only to never see it until my money ran out.

Thankfully, I’m a player that that doesn’t hurt me much, it just surprised me to the point that I also thought ‘why the heck doesn’t it just rotate through all of them BEFORE hitting duplicates again?’. The board is entirely random whenever you click the re-roll, and I feel the only way you won’t experience that is if you don’t reroll for specific things.

1 Like

This is also my experience - I do not see how the OP is making an argument against it, if the system clearly is going through all the available mission types, before eventually circling to a full loop.

1 Like

Last time I played and actively cared about the Milk system (this was probably like last year) milk would cycle through like 3 bs objectives I didn’t want to do no matter how much money I spent. So there obviously is some sort of system that either locks it in or doesn’t.

Either way I hate sour melk as a vendor as a whole and would like to see him thrown out the airlock and replaced with someone who can provide a more fun system.

I’m sorry you didn’t pay attention while you were clicking buttons but if you weren’t paying attention to how the system works then that doesn’t make yours a very reliable testimony does it?

The system used to be capped at three rerolls per character per week. And that was all you needed to see every mission category, which is how it cycles through them. By category, NOT by specific level or ranged/melee in the case of kills. Now, you can cycle through any number of times hunting for that “perfect” max level set but, as you found out, it gets expensive and there are no guarantees. Given how relatively useless Melk Marks are, I’d strongly recommend taking the first of any given category you see rather than try to grind for a higher level, like 350 Diamantine vs 100.

The 8 categories are (in my preferred order):

• Pick up plasteel
  • Pick up diamantine
  • Kill monstrosities
  • Kill scabs
  • Kill dregs
  • Finish missions
  • Finish missions without deaths
  • Pick up grimoires or scriptures

The most I ever have to reroll are the bottom three.

If you start to pay attention in the future, you’ll see this is how it works.

Gods some people on this forum are worthless, can’t read and call you stupid just for pointing something out, no wonder this community doesn’t exist XD.

But yes, you have found the point. It does not in fact cycle through all of them, Ranged/Melee are considered there own category together, when some people, like myself and OP, would prefer to go for one or the other, and the fact you can not is a pain when it will sometimes take you a vast amount of Dockets just to get the other side of the coin.

There’s nothing to ‘pay attention’ to, you will just sometimes not see the preferred method of ‘kill’ for thousands upon thousands of dockets, and it isn’t that much of an ask to have them separated.

But yes, continue to attack me for pointing out an observation, instead of deciding to understand it. I’m sure that will get your posts read in the future.

You first told me that I was wrong, and then that you were always agreeing with me. Make up your mind, my man.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.