Extending EAC's Support to include the Steam Deck and Linux

I would like to kindly ask Fatshark to allow the EAC in WARHAMMER: Vermintide 2 to support Valve’s Steam Deck and Linux.

I have personally tried to run the game on Linux, and it does run perfectly well… But only on the modded realms, as the Easy Anti-Cheat (EAC) prevents the game from running on the official realms, because EAC “did not” support Linux back then.

Fortunately, Epic Games have recently announced that Easy Anti-Cheat now has full support for Linux and the Steam Deck. Game developers must opt-in to enable EAC to support Linux (which’s why I’m asking here). The icing on the cake is that the process of opting-in seems to be very simple (“just a few clicks” according to Epic Games).

Since Vermintide 2 already runs great on Linux (on the modded realms anyway), I believe that opting-in to support the OS through EAC could only be seen as a net-positive. First, the process of adding support to the Steam Deck and Linux through EAC should be very simple. Secondly, official support for the Steam Deck and Linux is not required to let the game run on those platforms (any encountered issues will go to proton developers instead). And finally, this will open the game to a new market as the hype for the Steam Deck is surprisingly high (Valve anticipates that they will sell millions of these). Given all the above, I believe that allowing EAC to support the Steam Deck and Linux seems to be a great idea.

Obviously, I am no game developer, and I realize that this may not be as simple as “just a few clicks”. If unfortunately, it turned out to be more complicated, I would like to know why it cannot be implemented. And to make it clear yet again, I am not asking for official support for Linux, but just to allow EAC to support it. This change alone will let the game run perfectly well on Linux. In turn, I and many others could not be more satisfied (although a definitive release date for Darktide would be very much appreciated).

Thank you!

Source:
[1] Epic Online Services launches Anti-Cheat support for Linux, Mac, and Steam Deck - Epic Online Services.

The error I receive is this:
Server Error: Backend rejected the challenge response.

3 Likes

First time poster, and registered just to chime in on this, but I too would love to know the answer to this question. One of the things about the Steam Deck that’s so exciting is the mobility, and Vermintide 2 being one of my favorite games, playing it on the Steam Deck would be amazing.

Any ideas if this will be a thing or not?

1 Like

Luckily for us, Fatshark did us a good one and they are the first company to include EAC support for Linux! I cannot believe this to be frank with you, because Vermintide 2 was the game that forced me to dual-boot the most, so I couldn’t be more glad than that.

While they will not offer official support for Linux, honestly, all we ever wanted was to lift the EAC ban preventing us from playing Vermintide 2 (especially since it runs great on Linux), and they did just that.

Here’s their post:

So from the bottom of my heart, thank you Fatshark!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.