Expand mission selection - keep a larger player base

Time to expand upon mission selection. As of right now the only thing stopping me from playing this game more is the lack of choice when it comes to mission modifiers - Dogs are completely boring, mutants are boring AND unfun, melee only is for very specific builds, Ranged only god knows who enjoys that because 700 hours and I haven’t even considered doing that modifier.

I would say pick the 4 most popular Maelstroms to be on set rotations every day rather than a completely random selection. You can still have the random Maelstrom, just add a separate icon to click inside of the Auric board so players who want a consistent challenge can choose from the best Maelstroms rather than being limited to a roulette of hoping for a fun mission to pop up. My picks would be Nurgles/Specials/Monsters - Specials/Monsters - Specials/Pox Gas/Monsters/Snipers - Snipers/Bursters/Barrels/Specials

For example, there was a fun Maelstrom up but the team wiped and it fell off the board, the new Maelstrom is Melee only. I instantly hopped off the game and will be playing something else and even if another fun Maelstrom pops up in the next hour, I might be busy playing another game now - that could of been avoided if we had a better variety of missions available or even better the ability to select missions ourselves. The more this happens, the more likely people are to get tired of this and just completely stop playing the game all together.

I know the reality to this situation is people selecting their own missions would put even more strain on the already dwindling player base. Which is why I suggest making an assortment of the most popular missions via internal means of seeing what missions are most popular, or making a poll and going from there - then adding one more icon inside of the Auric board that is always ONE of the most popular Maelstroms.

Heck, you could even go further and make it so its a monthly rotating thing based on community polls if you guys were actually active with your community. This is obviously just me hoping and brainstorming but yeah, here is an easy way to expand your player base while maintaining a steady base.

1st block : More mission mods, dogs/mutants unfun, melee and ranged only mods are not their style.

2nd block : Set 4 best Maelstrom mods on a set rotation as a different Maelstrom choice on top.

3rd block : They would hop off the game if there wasnt a modifier they liked.

4th block : Incorrectly assumes that being able to select mission/modifiers would worsen player base. Use polls/internal analysis to determine most popular mods. Suggests to keep the most popular mod always on board.

5th block : Suggests to rotate mods monthly instead of hourly.

The rotating mods monthly would be for the 4 most popular ones, and they could change it up based on community feedback etc but yeah. What do you mean incorrectly assumes? It is common sense that having a wider mission selection splits the community.

If you have 1 maelstrom up and 3k people online, 3000 people only have access to that one maelstrom. Lets reduce that 3k down to 1k based on max level and people actually wanting difficult content. Now, lets add 4 more maelstroms to that 1k player base. Now you have 1000 players selecting from 5 different maelstroms. If the majority of them que for 1 specific one, the other 4 are left with nothing. One or two of them might not even receive players.

A monthly rotation either way sounds superfluous when you can choose the mission.

No one would care if 1 was being played more than the other. We’d end up rotating ourselves through the selection. Plus there are the ones like me who almost always clicks quickplay.

The rest are just weird hypotheticals.

It isn’t hypothetical saying a wider mission selection splits the player base. Its not about someone caring if one is played more than the other, its giving access to that variety causes some players to be left out while others shine. Don’t get what I mean?

No one would care if everyone was queing for the one mission, right? No one except for the few players stuck queing for the other maelstroms no one else is queing for thus receiving absolutely no players because the player base is now split between 5 instead of 1.

What kind of goober plays the exact same mission/mod over and over again.
People will rotate themselves out.
No one would care about the queue with no players because it will fill up in a minute or two anyway.

“what kind of goober plays the same exact mission and mod over and over again” the entire darktide community would like to have a word with you sir

You speak for no one but yourself.

Well considering every person I have played with on a consistent basis enjoys playing the hardest missions and often times that entails re-running the same ones, not just me. Also considering the average game runs about 25 mins and maelstroms last 60 mins, running the same mission again happens pretty often.

Sorry. Obviously mission in our eyes means maelstrom.
I mean map and modifier.
Whoever likes to play the same map and modifier over and over again is a goober.
People will be split in their interests, but no one gives a sht unless they have fringed interests.

What you are saying is for goobers is what the mission board does every day so I guess you are a goober as well and don’t even realize it lol.

1 Like

Either you really got selective reading or youre bad at remembering. 90% of the time I do quickplay, so no. Or, youre calling everyone a goober.
Wanting to play the same map/mods ad nauseum is for goobers.
And even if people are split on decisions, it will all balance itself out.
Additionally, you suggested that map modifier rotation should be based on popularity so a big part of your suggestion is flawed based on your own assumptions.

lol
Stop changing the subject too. You already did that with the other thread.

Players should be allowed to configure what map, with what modifiers etc, they are want to play. Simple as that. Darktide remains a game which doesn’t want to be played. Whilst we are at it, the Darktide’s cosmetic shop remains a shop which doesn’t want to make money.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.