Enemy VO and sound design are lacking (compared to even V1)

And one of their last patches fked up surround sound that i use in every game.

I love how people are defending something that is so obviously not intended just to fanboi. “hurr durr if you need those lines git gud”. If that’s the only argument one can make, just get the hell outta here.
A while back, somebody actually showed that there were call-outs for plague monks already in the game. They just don’t play. I actually enjoy the chatter, it makes the game world and characters feel alive and interact with each other. Remember in L4D2 when even then uncommon infected had call outs, even though you couldn’t even tag them? That’s not only because it makes sense in a mechanical way, it actually creatres immersion or just funny dialogue (I always chuckled when Coach would proclaim “I want armour!” when there was a riot infected). I like the dialogue and voice lines in this game and how natural it adds to the flow of the game. That is a good thing.

4 Likes

A lot of good points here, some of which I wasn’t even aware of, but now that I think about them seem like obvious omissions.

I don’t understand how you could defend these missing call-outs, voicelines, and even music that supposedly are in the game but just aren’t working.

Edit: @hanzy, I think you misunderstood OP’s point here. As I understand it, his point was that you probably have a lot of hours played in this game, which you confirmed, and you still weren’t sure what the callout ‘rothelm’ referred to. That just underlines some of the problems with the sound design in the game.

1 Like

They did speak in V1:
“Die-die choke-choke!”
“You made me waste-waste”
etc.

2 Likes

I’ve only heard “Queek - Queek protect me!” From any clan rats.

I think that’s a stormvermin line.

1 Like

How about you make sure you know what you’re talking about before you speak with such conviction, huh? Yeah that video says Vermintide 2 (lol) but all of those are from the first game. That’s from the voiceline dump the devs gave us.

Said voiceline dump contained almost nothing from V2 and literally everything from V1, plus a scant few V2-related lines, making me think those weren’t even recorded for the second game initially.

Can’t wait for the next excuse to be ‘they weren’t added because they sound annoying’! Because distance and surround effects don’t exist.

It was all in purpose! Just to protect us from horrible lines and too much audio! All hail Fat Shark!

Also: remember when there were voicelines for missing bomb throws? Like, maybe 3 months ago and they suddenly disappeared? Probably a deliberate design choice!

hehe aye, i admit my mistake (played hundreds of hours of v1 but haven’t heard them probably because i love to abuse trueflight) but i’m sure most will agree with my other points =)

I actually have video evidence that sometimes the game looks like the maulers are called “rothelms”. I’d noticed that before, but I was reluctant to comment until I heard it again yesterday - I was playing Halescourge, and there was a mauler standing on the cliff edge above the first grim. Kerrillian tagged him and called out “Rothelm!”, although the closest CW was on the other side of the chasm in the square with the tower, which is quite some distance away.
Probably just a coincidence, but I damn my guts if this is the first time I thought they do that. I mean, I knew that CWs are “rothelms”, but this made me think there is something mixed up in the game.

1 Like

Rothelms is just one term for Chaos Warriors, but for a long time I’ve been uncertain whether the CW callouts actually refer also to Maulers, as often characters call out a CW, but only Maulers are visible, with the armored Warriors a bit further in (occasionally quite a lot farther), usually behind a corner or other visual obstacle. And of course, some callouts specifically refer to heavy armor, so those would certainly be wrong to use about Maulers.

2 Likes

It kind of is. Chaos Warriors have a huge detection radius, and I suspect that may be part of the reason we get almost no map commentary from the heroes (unless it’s coded properly). Count the amount of times you emerge to the fort vista at Fort Brax, but instead of saying something about the siege, the heroes go OMG CHAOS WARRIOR!!!

You WILL call out a chaos warriors from halfway across the map, and Maulers often accompany them on Legend, creating the mishmash. Great design.

The reason the confusion exists is that they just spawn very close together, but Maulers are usually put closer to you, while you may not even see or hear the CW’s who are ‘stomping around’. The callout radius seems like a reactionary move they performed early in the beta, before even the tech test, because people were afraid of them. I think it’s time to shrink that radius, and shrink it hard.

It’s fairly easy to prove that it’s definitely not anything to do with Maulers when you are at the threshold between a chaos spawn area and a skaven spawn area. Ping the remaining mauler, ping him, ping him hard, and get absolutely no callout at all in return.

2 Likes

This was/is the source of my confusion!
I have even asked other players in my regular group and the answers were certainly conflicted.

It does seem OP did quite a bit of research on this and I am certainly inclined to agree with him.

In a way I kind of like not having call outs for the savages/plague monks.
Adds a bit of an element of surprise and you have to visually be on the look out for them.
I do agree that it does lack consistency.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.