Enemies are way too quiet and sneaky (40+ hours)

Darktide is lots of fun and the beta is really showing a lot of promise. It’s fun enough to keep me playing for almost 50 hours so far.

I want to request that enemy traveling sounds such as footsteps and landing when dropping down gain a boost in volume, because they are just imperceptibly quiet even with the music turned down to zero. Invariably, enemies appear behind me without having made a single audible noise to indicate I’m being approached until the about-to-be-struck-from-behind sound plays. I am grateful for this sound, it is one of the bandages which keeps the beta playable in its current state.

The about-to-be-struck-from-behind sound really does seem to be a bandage. I say this because without it, I’d be taking tons of damage from empty rooms. Without this sound I would get killed by regular dudes; The enemies which must have come out from their hiding place and sprinted at me like Olympian athletes to whack me in the back as soon as I finish examining an empty corridor and turn around. It is the only indication I get that I’ve just been swarmed.

Some special enemies have excellent audio. The Sniper, the Mutant, the Pox Hound come to mind.

Most enemies in this game are imperceptibly quiet. I personally need them to have audible footsteps and landing sounds. When piles of silent enemies are rushing in from silent doorways, I can’t enjoy myself. The moment-to-moment gameplay is fun enough to keep me coming back, but the silent enemies make the game feel cheap and take some measure of fun out of it. I’d love to try out an update which gives enemies some type of hearable travelling feedback, such as footsteps and landing sounds.

3 Likes

Could this be more of an issue of awareness/map knowledge? I know I’ve encountered the rare “Huh, where did that guy come from” scenario, but I’d never have thought of it as problematic - are you checking behind you regularly, have you learned where some of the sneakier spawn points are (balconies, alcoves tucked away in a side path, things like that)?

I’d be wary that adding a tell for regular enemies may drown out the more important ones (i.e. specials) OR it simply gets lost amidst the rest of the game audio, and when should the tell happen - would it happen only when the enemy is alone and, if not, where do you set the cutoff point?

Checking behind you regularly isn’t the solution, it’s the symptom of having Tzeentch spawn in that 1 guy that gets a completely free, completely silent sneak attack and adapting to that BS.

Too many attacks come out of nowhere because they have no warning sounds.

2 Likes

I have to agree with op.

I have excellent hearing (can hear a cat walking in the night) , but I think I struggle to separate sounds in game. It’s like talking in a nightclub for me. Maybe it’s age :thinking:

I don’t hear voice chat clearly at all. But discord is 100% audible.
I think Hallowette on valkyrie is muffled.
And I often find I’m sometimes without toughness, turn around and there’s something smacking me from behind. I’ve not heard them coming or spotted the visual cue (sometimes). I do often hear the swish and dodge, but sometimes there’s no cue.

Ive posted before about enemies spawning behind. It’s cheap. It’s actually quite unrealistic insofar as : huge melee fight. Clears. Shooters nonchantly walk out as if nothing has happened.

At this point, I’m just assuming that the game /my mobo sound card can only do x number of distinct sounds, and any more are dropped.

Annoying. But not game breaking at all.

3 Likes

Most of the problem stems from a combination of network f*ckery leading to teleporting enemies and the ai director being able to literally spawn anything on top of players depending on how coked up it happens to be that given run. Seen literal hordes spawn in the middle of a team, dogs being spawned 5m from me, etc.

2 Likes

It just occurred to me that the original post was 7 months old, oops :person_facepalming:

1 Like

Hah. Still pertinent though 6 months on :grin:

i think OP is referring to something i also thought is a skill issue, but this is just a rare bug.

i some situations enemies spawn in masses near you, and out of sight (behind) over period of 5 to 10s.

it looks like you enter an area, you kill everything there but you have this feeling that it was too easy and then enemies start popping in out of sight, you start fighting them with team and as you fight more enemies pop in.

its extremely fun this way when 3 crushers, 3 bulkwaks and 3 maulers spawn per each teammate. fun as in you all fail the emperor.

1 Like

Enemies really do just spawn behind me. I closed a door and ran away and immediately a gunner was shooting at me from behind! :astonished:

2 Likes

Because they didn’t fix it.

They do. I call them cheatspawns, and I hope you will too. There’s lots of videos, and I can get some if you like. It was also true in V2, maybe v1, but enemies just pop into existence. Usually just behind you, but sometimes in front. It doesn’t get fixed, because FS most likely considers it a feature, not a bug.