Enemies appearing and dissapearing

Lately i have noticed alot of enemies appearing and dissapearing.

I have noticed this both on host and on client. It’s not a horde spawning or an ambush, its literally 1 enemy.

They appear behind you or just infront of you. Elites dissapearing mostly (maybe because this is most noticeable). Very very weird. I have no proof or any ideas of why this might happen, seems to be alot lately, and i don’t remember encountering this alot before.

Just played a game where i was looking at a teammate and a slave rat appeared behind him insta swinging for him. Didn’t have shadowplay enabled sadly.

Edit: Adding some additional info from comments and speculations.

Speculated reason this might happen

This doesn’t explain enemies dissapearing infront of players.

Experienced also on host.
Dev answer on a reddit thread
Might not be a connection issue?

Experience from someone else, which might show its not a connection issue? (again not really proof, just experiences from players):

mauler

4 Likes

I see it happen a lot when the host is far behind and some roamers literally disappear from sight depending on how far away the host is and SOMETIMES reappear later.
I’ve landed long-ranged headshots on enemies many times a nanosecond before they disappear because the host moved somewhere.

3 Likes

It’s almost like there’s 2 instances open and you walk through them.

You see enemies and walk towards them, they disappear, you’re fighting something else and those enemies reappear.

Maulers appearing out of thin air is a meme for us because of this.

3 Likes

Yeah this is quite odd. I’ve definitely lined up a shot to watch the Mauler pop out of existence only to reappear and attempt to overhead me in the back of the skull.

Tzeentch joining in and not playing fair! Spoiler for Chaos Wastes? XD

3 Likes

Hmm i might pay attention to the host location when this happens in the future.
The situation where a slave rat popped behind a teammate was when i was hosting, and i was not far away from him at all, but i was also not next to him. Would be weird if that distance makes enemies dissapear though. but i’ll look out for it in the future, also gonna try and enable shadowplay in the future.

yes, its especially bad with maulers. Atleast for me (and i assume yourself aswell). Maulers sliding is already bad, imagine a sliding mauler that pops up at the last second. scary stuff.

Is it mostly maulers for you aswell?

2 Likes

I’ve noticed it a lot on chaos warrior roamers, mostly because they’re such big attention-grabbing targets.

2 Likes

@zaru @Kitten @Argonaut14

Ok, so i asked around to some players i know. One might have a theory, but this is all speculation and might not be the reason this issue happens.

He ran into into enemies dissapearing when leaving them behind and asked hedge in a pm why this happens. i’ll post the convo below for proof i guess.

Picture

So as far as he and i understand this, its that enemies get removed and recycled further on, this might explain enemies appearing out of nowhere, maybe it was an elite that got put into the “freezer” system. This doesn’t explaine enemies dissapearing from infront of players though, so this might not be the reason.

Also this is all speculation. This system might just be something completely different and not be the cause of this at all. Just trying to help devs out a bit with as much info as possible.

2 Likes

I had it yesterday with a Mauler as well, and I think I even was host. (I think @Argonaut14 was even in my game at that moment, maybe he can confirm. Map was Old Haunts.) So that might count against the “host’s location has anything to do with it” argument? Wish I could be more helpful.

3 Likes

Then the fact it’s happening in close proximity is a bug? Especially when they’re spawning within melee range of people.

2 Likes

Assuming its due to this system. then i would say yes, it’s a bug in that system. But it might be completely unrelated. Would be best to have a dev give some feedback, but if its still in the game, they might not know it for sure themselves.

2 Likes

Yeah definitely happened when I was there, and @anon75893681 for me it’s Maulers that are the most memorable as I guess it’s most often, but I have suspicions that I know I’ve cleared an area behind me and then get stabbed by a slave and I’m 99% sure it can’t hop over a wall to drop near me so it may be other things too.

2 Likes

You can watch this when you died and wait for the others to get to your spawn location.
When you center on yourself, the area will be empty. As the party gets closer idle / roaming enemies will appear and disappear depending how they move towards you or if they have to double back.
I remember in the early days, when you were dead you could accurately report what enemies wait for the others, but then something changed - can’t remember when - and now you can only see the enemies around you when you’re dead when the host(?) / party gets colse enough.

2 Likes

Just to throw some dev info on this thread: Respaced who programmed that system answered on reddit a couple of months ago to this phenomenon. Host location is not the cause, apparently. Rather, it’s a connection issue.

3 Likes

Yes it might be related to this aswell. Might be a performance issue on host then?

so its different for every player?

In my experience when an enemy dissapears everyone saw it dissapear or appear.

2 Likes

As long as we don’t have full (video) proof of this happening to hosts as well, I’d say it’s most likely a client issue. So it’s different only between clients and hosts aren’t affected?

It might even be a weird render issue of some sort, since enemies don’t vanish entirely, they’re still there and reappear at one point and can be engaged with.

Guess it also has something to do with desync.

Not talking about the enemies appearing and disappearing here:

I wonder if this is related to how some enemies will spawn normally, but really close to people, because they assume they’re in a different position.

Also, I wonder how much this effects aggro. If I’m host I notice I get enemies targeting me much more, e.g. Bosses always tend to focus the host when they first arrive.

And which maps are more effected? I’ve noticed Righteous Stand after the lift up, there’s usually always desync with enemies running through walls.

1 Like

Yea it might be related to that aswell.

The aggro issues is also annoying. i’m standing infront and an entire horde will ignore me and walk trough me to get to the player they are aggro’ing. While also an issue, i don’t think this is related and would be best to make a seperate thread to adress this. Also important nonetheless.

I might be related to desync though. Desyncs and connection issues are close to the same thing right?

Experience from someone else, which might show its not a connection issue? (again not really proof, just experiences from players):

mauler

2 Likes

Monsters should initially go always for the player who walked into the trigger. You can actually here the ‘aggro sound cue’ (or not) when the monster spawn cue is playing.

2 Likes

I’m pretty certain it happened to me as host last night with a roaming Mauler. As I was aiming at it, it just disappeared. 99.99% certain I was host.

1 Like

You were definitely hosting and I was client and I watched it vanish too.

1 Like