Dedicated servers by users

Yeah but I still didnt say dedicated. So I don’t really know what you exactly want

I’ve already stated all I wanted - I pointed out that your statement made in all capitals is factually wrong, which I pointed out so other people reading this thread do not get misled by it.

3 Likes

Okay, I’ll try to reword @Froh’s answer: The “server” functionality is fully integrated in the game client right now, so there aren’t any separate “server” files to give us (and it probably needs some extra work to separate them). In a P2P connection, the host’s computer acts as the server, and contains all the relevant data - all that functionality would need to be separated for external, dedicated servers to be available, either private or public.

In all honesty, though, I don’t think dedicated servers would be the magical solution to some of the game’s problems some people seem to think they’d be. They could share the computing load and connection problems more equally between different players, but especially in private hands they’d still be as susceptible to bad ping, slow connections and outages (and ragequitting, somewhat depending on how they’re set up) as a P2P network.

2 Likes

My statement is actually factually right. You are hosting a server even if it’s not a dedicated one which I never say it is.

Congratulations

1 Like

They can, however, solve some crappy ISP networking setups. For example, when I was living in the same town as my brother, we shared an ISP and we had submillisecond LAN ping all the while having around 150ms ping in every single game on Steam because of some crappy p2p-specific UDP traffic handling by our ISP’s equipment. The only solutions were to either find a 3rd mate and make him host, or just set up a dedicated server on our box in Germany. And the latter was exactly what we did.

In VT2 I also have at least two mates in other countries who have crappy network performance when joining me and vice versa, but have perfect games whenever the two of us join someone else’s lobby. And all that with the same “ping” numbers inside the game.
There’s more to networking for games than meets the eye.

3 Likes

yeah, am so glad some users understand what a proper server is vs a hosting a ingame client hosting p2p is

yes, my own internet can be more than sufficient to host a private dedicated server separate from me hosting a p2p connection with others

this will eliminate resources being used up on my own machine
if my game crashes, other user’s won’t be affected by it
that is why this would be the prefered choice

also, it would just be a vanilla server with maybe some basic mods like nurmeric mod and things like that are approved/whitelisted

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.