If you want to suggest a new kind of enemy to add to the game, I’m all ears! But I like the current DH as-is.
No, they go after whoever startled them and run off once they’ve slain them. But other players can become collateral if they don’t get the hell outta Dodge presto
Oh wow, another “give an incentive to fight daemonhosts” thread. My guy, this idea isnt new, and it was discussed countless times already as to why it’s a bad idea.
To be fair, OP probably wasn’t here for those other times. And he does have a point that it feels a bit… wasteful to have the Daemonjusts just be glorified roadblocks. I mean, they really are animated geometry at this point. But just handing out rewards for killing them would also not be the proper way of addressing then.
The current implimentation of them is just a bit lacking in general. For all the animation, modeling and voicing work that went into them, they deserved a higher role in the gameplay department.
no no and no, thanks though . they are not meant to be engaged by us they are supposed to be above our paygrade , imo if aggroed they should harvest two players and gate out no fight just harvest.
I think this is a more interesting discussion than just “lul give rewards.” Do you have any thoughts on how you would have it implemented? Becuase I really don’t have an idea.
If it got tweaking might be fun as a sort of optional mid mission event? Than we could talk about giving it rewards. Have a narrator mention that there’s a dangerous target nearby, but if you are able to eliminate it you will be compensated or something?
There is many things they could do with it. Your idea is definitely nice. Something related to her appearing in an optional scenario, but making the run more worthwhile to complete.
I could also see the Daemonhost being used as a “Grim Reaper” archetype, appearing as punishment if you stall too long. Maybe something to pace a run with. Or have her slowly chase the team pushing you forward.
Anything is better than just having her sit around, sulking and being uninvolved while combat commences around her.
The game forces you to stall so no, the AI director would need to stop spamming specials every 20 seconds before any anti-stall mechanic could be considered. But people (for some reason) like the nonstop special spam so that isn’t happening. It isn’t stalling, it is being forced to hold a position until the AI director runs out or resources and goes on CD.
I unfortunately have to agree with Shining Darkness, there are points on higher difficulties where you need to stand and fight and can’t advance, or even need to fall back. This isn’t like deep rock where you can kite the ghost Bulk Detonator around while your team does objectives.
Despite what Darkness says I do like the times where you are forced to hold your ground, although I do think the the Director is just a teensy bit cracked tf out right now. But I agree that something a bit better than its current implementation would be nice. Not just for the effort the Demonhost has put in but just the landmine effect it has can be incredibly annoying to deal with in certain areas, ESPECIALLY when the game desides that you don’t get to hear the Demonhost whispers.
That’s not my experience. Especially in T5 Auric you have to push on despite being cramped up in tight spaces with specials. You will run out of ammo and other resources, if you keep fighting every wave off until it’s fully dead.
Or when the game decides to put it next to a med station.
The director is close to good, it just needs a bit of adjustment. I like the aggression it is just a bit too overzealous with how it decides to spawn special waves. Currently it will spawn a special wave around the same time it spawns a horde but also will spawn a special wave any time an elite pack is activated.
This is what I was referring to when I say it forces stalling. Because if you have a horde, you need to fight that horde off before pushing into the next elite group otherwise you get double specials and that means the potential for 4-6 disablers which means the potential for a wipe if everyone happens to get caught at the same time.
I like the horde frequency, but the special spawn grace period is too small to allow the team to just drag enemies along while pushing instead of stand and fight tactics. It slows the pace of high difficulty game too much. While fun in the moment I am burning out playing these constant 25-35+ minute games where before it was 30 only on a bad team comp. It is making the game feel like we can’t actually have build variety since if you don’t have at least one player running some super meta build those dicey situations take 30sec minimum to sort out so the grace period is over and you get a snowball.
Until the director is much closer to perfect, the DH can stay exactly as it has been because it has not been an issue. Encouraging people to engage it will just slow the matches down even more and lead to more wipes on what would have been perfectly completable runs otherwise.
Going a bit off topic but this will come down to personal preference. I prefer the 40 minute missions slogs. I get the most enjoyment out of that. I know other people who do as well.
However I also know people who would prefer most missions to be under half an hour. It’s a balancing act that I don’t think will ever be won where everyone is happy. Really the only way it could probably happen is try and hard design half the missions to be short and half the missions to be long.
I agree with this, although I do think there needs to be times where it should be hyper aggressive. It just shouldn’t be all the time.
Agree here, although I still find with the current director I absolutely hate Demonhosts unless you have a boss killer on your team. When you get a difficult Demonhost spawn the game becomes actual hell, and not in the good way (looking at you Magastrati Oubliette).
I kind of like how the same threads keep appearing as new players enter the game.
But no, the DH doesn’t have to drop sh*t. It’s the type of enemy who can decimate your team, but the fight is entirely optional. You want some challenge for the lulz? Sure, kill her. You triggered her unintentionally? Well, suffer the consequences. Much like a Witch in L2D.
I can see that. It isn’t like I don’t like long games too, it just is burning me out when every game is a long and tense game requiring multiple clutch plays from everyone involved.
Also slightly off-topic: but given the oppressive “crafting” system kind of requires you to churn through matches as opposed to taking your time and completing less missions. Only reason I even bother with lower than T5 these days, honestly. I love T5, but they take longer and are by no means assured victory with randoms. I would rather fail a 20-25min mission than spend 35+ and fail towards the end due to the director throwing a hissy fit and spawning all remaining specials in the final room leaving the entire team suddenly having to didge 3 trappers, 3 dogs, 6 mutants and the floor is now lava.
Even winning slog missions is a bit bittersweet seeing as you get the same rewards. Usually slog missions I get less rewards because we are so pushed that we don’t have time to scavenge around for crafting materials. Before I go into a mission I think is going to be slog I have to note to myself that it is not going to be effecient, but that it is just for fun.
I don’t know about Demonhosts, but regular bosses should drop rewards for killing them (the ones you can’t avoid fighting). Would also be nice if they added a scavenger enemy like the loot rat in VT2, a dreg scavenger that if killed would drop a large recourse cache.