Besting a Daemonhost should reward the party

The game has been out for nearly half a year now. Still far too many people consider Daemonhosts as, “Oh, that’s basically just a L4D witch, it’s fine.”

I can see the similarity on the immediate surface level. Thus I’m going to be using the Witch as an example throughout this post.

First off - No. For the love of god, no. The Daemonhost is not a Witch, don’t treat her like one.

In L4D, even on the highest difficulty, a single player with a shotgun can use a single bullet to eliminate a Witch entirely. This is called a “Cr0wn”. (More delicately put, Crowning is actually just killing a Witch without her becoming aggressive. You can do it through speed and stagger, not just raw power, but a one-tap is the most effective way of doing it.)

Anyway, to get back on track. A Witch can be a devastating foe if you mess up. While even on Expert, a prepared team can kill a Witch in seconds, or even a single solo survivor can take it upon themselves if they have the right gear and be fine. However, the caveat is that if you DO mess up, the Witch only needs one hit on you. On expert, this is literal and she will instantly kill you, not just down you. She then panics and runs away.

In short; she is a miniboss. She isn’t the toughest, but she IS the deadliest, and her entire purpose is to remove a single player from the game, or at least greatly injure them, if a team is careless about her or makes a mistake.

The Daemonhost blows her out of the water. First of all, it has LEAPS AND BOUNDS more health. Where a Witch will be swiss cheese before ever reaching a party if all four of you train your guns and light her up from across the street… A Daemonhost stands up, takes a few shots, and OOPS TELEPORTS RIGHT ON YOU.

The lack of required travel time is a massive advantage already. There’s no open planes to mow it down safely, it’s just on you.

One “disadvantage” it has in comparison is that it does not kill you nearly as quickly. It can down most operatives from full health in one flurry, two at most, if you aren’t adept at dodging it. Meaning basically if you aren’t running a mobility build, you’ll only avoid a couple attacks. This is speaking from experience on only Uprising, DIFFICULTY LEVEL 2 OF 5, where I have fought Daemonhosts the most; with the exception of one time for the achievement, every other fight was a mistake.

God only knows how bonkers the Daemonhost gets on higher levels. Of course there is then the 10 or so seconds it takes the Daemonhost to kill a guy once downed. Assuming, of course, that you weren’t already on black and white, or maybe even got really unlucky and became fully corrupted while defending yourself and just drop dead.

Because that’s the next big thing. Where the Witch takes one of you, The Daemonhost wants no less than two. And all the while when the Daemonhost is in a mad flurry, every single hit it makes seems to ambiently curses the entire party. I’ve never been so far from a Daemonhost fight to know if this is proximity based or not, so someone else would need to figure that out.

This isn’t a massive decrease to max health, but it still affects possibly an entire party while outright removing two of you. I’ve had this cut a team in half and leave the two players left with less max health put together than either would have on their own at full.

The teleporting, the big damage, the insane health pool compared to at least what a lot of players, myself included, might expect, and all of this leads into one very simple request.

I do not want the Daemonhost to be nerfed. Despite all the power I have talked it up as having, it’s not invulnerable, and this is absolutely not a post saying it’s too much and should be weakened. It SHOULD be a terrifying enemy. It should stay exactly where it is.

Because it can be beaten. The Ogryn with a shield punches it in the head, stands in a corner, and shields up. The Psyker Brain Bursts it, ideally making it take increased damage from the Veteran who activates Volley and lays into it with a plasma gun, and the Zealot charges up their Thunder Hammer, pulls back a heavy attack, dashes in with Chastise the Wicked to instantly claim 20-25%~ of the entire health bar in one swing, and all of this leads to a very, VERY quick slaughter of the Daemonhost with minimal max health loss.

But that’s an ideal, prepared team, and the biggest thing about the Daemonhost is that it is a boss; it’s appearance on any given mission on any given difficulty is completely, utterly random. And most of all? It’s always optional! With the exception of a few spawn points which makes squeezing by it necessary and scary as it at least goes into an alert phase and floats up, it’s never in all of 20+ encounters been impossible to avoid it. It seems designed to only ever spawn in places where you CAN get by it. It’s never something you have to fight. It’s entirely possible that there are people who have played Darktide daily since launch who have yet to fight a Daemonhost.

The thing is, the Daemonhost is strong and works wonders for what it’s meant to be. There’s nothing that says it’s anything like a Witch with the surface level exception of, “Scary big thing, sneak around it”. But there’s also nothing in general, because the tutorial for the game is fairly barebones and tells you nothing about the Daemonhost’s capabilities. It’s a trial by fire.

And despite it’s strength and the sheer mystery of it when you first meet it… there is quite literally zero incentive to kill a Daemonhost beyond the steam achievement.

I made this post after being rightfully flummoxed and taken aback by the sheer accuracy of a fellow player of mine when I asked, “Oh hey, a Daemonhost. I have the shield, wanna kill it real quick?”

And he bluntly, stoically responded in chat, “Why? No point.”

The Daemonhost is a very powerful optional encounter. This entire post asks for one thing. Give us incentive to fight it. The thought I’ve build up while writing it this; a multiplier on all our end-game rewards, like money, EXP, and whatnot, based on difficulty. Like +10% extra rewards per difficulty level if you killed a Daemonhost. Maybe even lessen the reward itself by 25%~ or so if you lost teammates while fighting the Daemonhost.

Here’s a general list of what I imagine would be cool and fair for beating this uncommon, optional boss:

Sedition – +10% mission rewards | +7.5% mission rewards (one loss) | +5% mission rewards (2 losses)
Uprising – +20% mission rewards | +15% mission rewards (one loss) | +12% mission rewards (2 losses)
Malice – +30% mission rewards | +25% mission rewards (one loss) | +22% mission rewards (2 losses)
Heresy – +40% mission rewards | +35% mission rewards (one loss) | +32% mission rewards (2 losses)
Damnation – +50% mission rewards | +45% mission rewards (one loss) | +42% mission rewards (2 losses)

Now of course the numbers may need delicate tweaking and consideration, but this way, not only is there actual incentive to fight the thing, but there’s also incentive to do it RIGHT. Not just brute forcing it and throwing your teammates against the tide, but working together with speed and power to kill it ASAP for a juicy prize. And let’s not forget, of course, that you actually have to then finish the mission, which is never guaranteed. Let the big meaty Ogryn with his shield tank it all… or ask the Combat Knife Zealot to dodge as long as they can while the rest of you hammer into it’s back.

But even if you do brute force it, even losing half your team on one difficulty will always give a little more than doing it flawlessly on a lower difficulty. It’s always a net profit over the easier version of the fight, no matter how poorly you come out the other side, as long as you do come out the other side.

This way, people will actually pay goddamn attention to this cool as hell enemy for longer than it takes to know where it is and avoid it.

Thank you for reading.

1 Like

While it doesn’t make sense that we avoid her from a narrative perspective… she is a threat that should be dealt with… i do like the fact that there are enemies you best avoid.

Not giving rewards for her is a guarantee for people to avoid her. She is a lot of hassle to fight for no reward. Even if you win, your team likely has a lot of corruption to content with… and if you don’t or aren’t fast enough you are teammates down.

I think it is fine for us to have an opponent where its smarter to ignore them than to fight them.

And before we add rewards to fighting the Demonhost i think we should first get rewards for the Beast and the Ogryn, because those you can’t avoid.

1 Like

Of course the other bosses should have rewards too, but as an optional boss you don’t even need to fight, the Daemonhost should have inflated bonuses beyond them.

And to be honest, the idea of an enemy being made with the pure expectation that it is always avoided and ideally only ever fought once per player for the achievement is… really really silly to me. By that point, don’t even make it an enemy, just some kind of trap. The Daemonhost should be something players consider the pros and cons of, not just casually walk around every time without even caring.

If they are avoided all the time, by everyone, then I fail to see the work of even making them in the game being worth it when, like I said, it could otherwise be much easier to just make an environmental trap.

it could otherwise be much easier to just make an environmental trap.

I do perceive them as environmental trap, that forces you to readjust the way you fight in an area. You can’t just carelessly fire in its direction. It isn’t just about walking past it casually… it is about adjusting the way the play area is being used.

You can’t fire past her, and if you do, its a tense situation where you make doubly sure that your shots will connect and not trigger her.

She also provides a lot of laughter in my fixed group whenever someone is accidentially walking into her from my group… or collective groans when its a PUG member who ignores the fact that we highlit her.

The way she is right now, she serves a purpose I actually appreciate. But when i started playing the game i felt that there should be a reward for her. Meanwhile my opinion has changed, because… well she has become this thing in my fixed group we sometimes use for “bragging” rights. Like someone has a new melee weapon or build and its going to go “i can tank her”… and it provides laughter or respect when it succeeds or fails.

She isn’t this enemy you want to engage with in a normal circumstance, because there is no reward for the hassle.

And i don’t know what other kind of environmental trap you could put in her place that would serve as the same. Barrels their explosion and fire fields are nice… and if you would put a “superbarrel” in there, that explodes and insta kills you when you somehow trigger it… it wouldn’t have the same impact.

You avoid the Demonhost because she comes after you. It requires the entire time to come together to deal with her. She isn’t like the Beast or the Ogryn who one person can pretty much kite them, as the team clears the area until you have time for the “boss”. Her ability to teleport ensures you are constantly engaged by her. And there is no real way to aggro control in the game other than outdamage your teammates. Which means she occupies this strange place where you want to do all the DPS on her, but at the same time if your groups DPS isn’t enough… you just having dumped all the DPS on her means she is going to come for you next.

That is a nice conundrum, and not every player is equally equip to deal with her. Not everyone is comfortable enough with melee to tank her. Even those of us that are confident enough to tank her, at least for me its no guarantee i can. Admittedly we mostly play Damnation and its easier to tank her on lower difficulties.

But if we would give her a reward… make it worth the hassle, i know for certain my group would almost never by pass her. We used to carry Grims when it wasn’t really worth it before the reward rebalance in damnation games. No matter how miniscule the reward, we’d be fighting her… and then it would just be another situation of “clear the area and murder the monstrosity”… instead of this “lets not wake her, so we don’t have to deal with her” situation.

Many situations in which things went haywire because we didn’t pull her, and then something went sideways… like a Mutant throwing a player at her… or some stray shots go in her direction… or someone forgot she is there… and then things are all chaotic.

If she gave a reward, we’d pull her, dispatch her and move on. It would entirely negate what she adds to the game right now. Right now she is this monster you don’t want to deal with it, because there is nothing to gain from dealing with her. But it is this lack of desire to want to deal with her that result in a lot of tense gaming moments.

3 Likes

I just plainly disagree, sorry. The idea of making an entire intricate enemy with cool animations and a presence in the game world purely for the vast majority of players to never even look at it seems pointless to me. I know for a fact it would not sight right with personally if I was to make an enemy like that.

Making the Daemonhost an enemy which the party considers actually fighting because of the risk V reward of it is just a plus in my eyes. It wouldn’t at all diminish the fear of the Daemonhost regardless because she’s already rare and random, and a team that comes prepared for her isn’t necessarily prepared for the rest of a mission.

It sounds mostly like you’re saying it would eliminate what the Daemonhost is because your group specifically would fight her at every opportunity just for a small reward. That’s fine, but other players aren’t the same and many would still avoid her. Especially if my little idea of the system was amended to say that if you lose one person, maybe instead of just losing a small bit, you’re instantly cut down to receiving less than you would get for flawlessly beating her on a lower difficulty.

For the example of Damnnation. I gave it a +50% boost to rewards. Only 5% less if you lose one player. Well instead, if you lose one player, the reward could easily just be cut dead in half. If you lose a second, this happens again. So in the end, if you fight her wrong at higher levels, you get slightly more or less than you would if you beat her flawlessly on Sedition; otherwise known as Cakewalk Mode.

I personally think I vibe with that punishing system more because it brings to light the very reasonable fact that if you DO want to beat a Daemonhost for any reason, the absolutely most important thing to get right is who she aggros on first. If you’ve got an Ogryn with a shield but the veteran accidentally shoots her, and that Ogryn is never in play as being attacked by her, then the team is almost definitely losing at least one person, because that Ogryn is geared for defence, not attack.

Ultimately, as I’ve outlined, the Daemonhost does more than just kill one or two players. Her ambient curse effect makes the rest of the mission until Medicae harder for the whole team, and you get nothing from beating her if you lose the mission. I feel like giving her a reward that could be massively cut down from fighting her wrong works probably even better than my first idea.

Either way, I don’t think giving her a reward and making her worth considering when encountered is in anyway negating the fear of her. Many players would still avoid her if they weren’t certain she could be flawlessed because it would make it not worth it for their level at all if they fail.

1 Like

It is.

I mean, if you have the option you’d probably call in someone stronger to deal with that kind of danger. A whole army of someones. Daemonhosts are dangerous in the extreme. If anything i find it weird that we so nonchallantly encounter them so often. But i like that they’re in the game.

1 Like

The whole point of the DH is to be avoided, giving an incentive to kill it and everyone will do so with some cheesy comp if needed.

There is one incentive right now if you have the monstruosity contract to melk or want the BB penance for the psyker (with a shieldGryn you know the monster won’t threaten your allies.

I would like assassination mission with a deamon host at the end so the animation are more used, but I love the deamon as something to avoid unless it is a risk to have it standing in a crossfire.

This was the same with Vtide patrol, don’t fight it unless you have the stuff to deal with it really fast. (the patrol was admitedly easier).

I would like for boss to drop like two large plasteel and one large diamantine and if so the DH could do the same as it’s not that much of an incentive.

1 Like

She is the most frequent of all Monstrosities. Like 1 in 2 or 1 in 3 missions has at least one of them in it.

Yesterday i played a regular HI Damnation mission and it had 3 of them interspersed in the level… not a single other monstrosity.

Yeah, because she isn’t that much of a hassle to deal with, when you actually prepare for her. And if you would reward players for her, then my group (and i am sure we ain’t unique) would simply clear out a space and pull her. Since she’d patiently wait for us to engage her, unlike the other monstrosities, she’d be the easiest of all Monstrosities.

It would entirely negate all the tense moments, because the only reason we don’t engage with her is because there are no upsides in doing so. If there would be any upside to it… my Zealot or Psyker Teammate would pull her. They’d tank her, while we burst her down… and then we’d move on with our day.

The reason we have tense moments is because we don’t want to deal with her. It isn’t that she is especially threatening… it is that there is no reason to engage with her.

So… Damnation that is 30k Gold and 700ish Plaststeal… boosted by 50%… basically killing her would be like playing a Tier 4 Mission, and addition 15k and 350 Plasteel. Everyone would be killing her, premades would have one player loaded to tank her… and everyone would just murder her.

And if you then have a mission where you encounter her twice or even three times… you can be certain people would pull her each and every time. Heck, darkness missions where you can have up to 6 or 7 of her… that would be a gold mine.

See, this is the difference in our opinion. I do not fear her. I know 9 out of 10 times my premade will beat her, if we engage her on our terms, without loosing anyone. This figure lowers when things go sideways and we no longer engage with her on our terms, because of accidents and the like. But if she’d give a reward… we’d never not engage her on our terms.

There is no fear of her. She is a nuisance we don’t want to deal with. She isn’t scary. She isn’t this “oh :heart::heart::heart::heart:, one/two of use are as good as dead” creature. The corruption and ammo waste she places on the group is the reason we don’t deal with her. Just one “Darktide” Moment of a Mutant throwing you into a Flamer’s flame path just as a sniper snipes you… and the corruption she caused you to take ends in a casulaty. She isn’t the issue. It is the unknown that might be coming down the line, that dissuades us from dealing with her.

And i know this isn’t the case in PUGs… I do, sometimes, play in PUGs… and i know the player base as a whole is a mixed bag in terms who you get as Teammates. But for my Premade… we would loose something by making her worth killing.

Defeating any monstrosity should give extra rewards, like in Vermintide you got the dice.
One time i finished a HI run fighting 3 beasts of nurgle, made the run significantly harder, was fun as hell but left a bad aftertaste that our team wasn’t been rewarded for the extra effort.

1 Like

I think it’s something we could look into IF we had better tools to handling the beast.

right now I’d say unless you have a shield or a very specific build fighting it is a cost thats just not worth putting a high level mission at risk for.

Fatshark may surprise us with something like a rare world drop that allows us to excercise the beast more reliably with some danger attatched.

I’m for it, we just need a little something to make more approachable for groups that don’t have the specificly “anti demonhost” build.

1 Like