Chaos Wastes wheeeeen

The first article on Chaos Wastes in summer mentioned 2020 without quoting, and so did Wahlund (?) on that stream before correcting himself to winter.

Fatshark is really careful about giving specific release dates/deadlines because something can always come up to mess those plans up, but some of the players still cling onto everything like it’s a written legal contract and then get angry - which only underlines why FS is wary of that to begin with and does sudden patch drops instead of big hype tours months in advance.

Sure, it’s a feedback spiral of reducing communication that they got themselves into by their own actions, but the lesson FS learned from the community is “don’t say anything that can be used against you”

2 Likes

You’re going to have to link your sources because I’m not finding it. The only summer article I found about CW was a PC Gamer article and there was no mention of a release date period.

As to the Engineer reveal stream, Wahlund simply misspoke which was corrected the minute he realized it.

God forbid we as humans make mistakes.

2 Likes

From that very article

As I said, that was a claim, not a quote. Maybe PC Gamer was making assumptions because the actual quote later in the article mentions winter.

But a lot of people reading that article thought “2020 it is then” and later got angry about an imagined 2020 promise being broken.

It wasn’t a mistake, it was simple optimism that it’d be ready by then. If CW doesn’t make it to the end of “winter”, there are gonna be more angry threads calling FS names and in the future FS will stop mentioning release targets altogether. As I said, it’s a feedback spiral.

1 Like

Like I said in the post, the stream VODs have been deleted so I can’t show you a source. Both Martin and Marten said “winter end of year” - again none of this matters at this point. There was a clip of Marten using those words too from a separate point in the stream that I have included in a post before that I will try to edit in to this, but ultimately we’re past that now

And to make it clear I’m not angry about that just a bit confused and would like some clarification and more updates on progress

edit:

I can’t provide a link to something that’s gone

And why say “this year”? He technically corrects himself, but the ambiguity is why I brought up wanting some clarification

1 Like

That is an issue with a lot of stuff for Vermintide. Going by the community Fatshark has broken a thousand promises. Which they actually never made to begin with.

From an objective perspective I would also conclude: Dont talk to the community. They make up stuff anyway. No matter how often we correct them.

2 Likes

The one promise that was broken was dedicated servers, to the point where a friend of mine who knows nothing else about Vermintide 2 still knows about it not getting dedicated servers.
3 years later, people are still mad about it as if FS personally killed their dog and insulted their mother. It’s baffling.

FS doesn’t so much break promises as much as they have a tendency to announce things way too early or say that something is “on the table” as an option for the future but then nothing ever really happens with it

They’re kinda flaky in that way lol

And that point of view simply gets reinforced the more you look at how many things are outdated or unfixed

4 Likes

There are probably some more, most minor ones. The actual baffling thing with the Dedicated Servers is that they never promised own servers anway (outside of one single forum post buried in an obscure thread by a developer, though not the community manager).

They promised support for Dedicated Servers so people can set them up themself. You can even link to the original interviews for this. Still people ignore it. Sometimes I get the impression people don’t have toilets at home. Otherwise I cant explain why some spend so much time shitting on anything in a video game forum.

1 Like

:smile: The thought of FS running one powerful server instance per 4 players of this game is just nuts, how would that ever be economical

I’d keep in the mind those articles/interviews aren’t set in stone, they aren’t really official announcements or promises. A lot is subject to change.

“It’s called The Chaos Wastes and it’s coming at the end of the year.” isn’t even directly quoted from Stormdal or Wahlund, most of what is said is written in Fraser Brown’s own words, up to interpretation most likely from notes.

3 Likes

Exactly. Fatshark NEVER said that. PC Gamer has made lots of mistakes in their articles more than once. If you ever look back at their older articles, you’ll see a mile long footnote on all the mistakes they had to correct. I do not consider them to be a reliable source of information.

For future record, please don’t make claims on what Fatshark has said without any linkable sources.

This is exactly why Fatshark mostly stays silent.

They say one thing and the community blows it out of proportion and make it sound like they said something completely different.

For example:
Fatshark says we’re looking in bringing dedicated server support into the game.

but Community heard: WE’RE PROMISING DEDICATED SERVERS

Dedicated server support is not the same thing as Dedicated servers and the reason why Fatshark decided against the dedicated server support is because it would be too expensive.

There’s a lot of people out there complaining about $5 hats. You really think they would be okay with paying for a dedicated server channel?

LOL yeah right

2 Likes

There is no point in defending FS - I think they are capable of doing it themselves - mostly by releasing new content. And this is the reason we are here: not to crucify FS but to express our impatience and frustration towards the wait for new content.
I fully understand that their hands are full with Darktide development, also the pandemic situation doesn’t make things better - delays are understandable but It is almost a year since the last map update and CW announcement. As Incandescent mentioned before they just shouldn’t announce smth that is not set on stone.

1 Like

I was honestly more hyped for this DLC than for cyberpunk or any new release, these games come and go but vt2 is a game to go back to and any new additions to the game are very welcome.

If could unleash the magic of unlimited budget and workforce upon them i would want them to add something like destiny raids in the game, basically one big map filled with unique mechanics and puzzles that the team (of five) must complete together.
Specially now that destiny removed big part of their raids (3 in fact to add 1), no game does these kinds of events as competently as destiny and since bungie shot their own foot, the demand is there.

I’m fine with them announcing things and such, all I’m saying is they don’t do themselves any favors when they don’t deal with false expectations that prop up through articles and such or go radio silent for extended periods

More regular dev blogs and other communication would go a long way to solving that problem

Even if it’s something as tiny as showing us any comical bugs that might pop up (without being too spoilery ofc)

7 Likes

A bit like the Rumour Engine for the Table Top ? That would satisfy me very much but I don’t know if they can really function with having to show something that would be finished every week (Or something that may be changed at release)

1 Like

yeah it’s 100% easier said than done

There’s a whole conversation about false expectations, but I have to say the community have come to expect very low delivery from FS ever since Bogenhafen. You can’t really talk about the community having high expectations when almost every launch has been a bit of a downhill-redbull-go-cart-race in that things are launched and hopefully they don’t crash in a spectacular manner with someone frantically attempting to keep things on course, while bits fall off and near misses happen every ten seconds.

My own faith in FS is suffering the same fate. I really want things to work and for Chaos Wastes to be a great thing, but I have a resigned feeling that it’ll launch in a buggy state, crash, be completely unbalanced, any new weapons will be P2W, game file size will push us up to 120 gig and it’ll STILL… somehow… not change anything with QP adventure being where most people play and the main gameplay loop will somehow remain… with all the problems. Deeds/Weapons/Cosmetics/Rerolls forever/traits/crafting and so on. IF Chaos wastes just fixed THOSE THINGS most of the community would be ecstatic.

To have any hope of better sales for Darktide FS have got to nail things a lot better. Remember there were millions of players on VT2 launch and they got seriously annoyed and left pretty damn quick. All those potential customers are going to need convincing that Darktide won’t go the same way.

[edit] I REALLY want to cheerlead for Chaos Wastes! I really do! Give me something to be proud of FS! Please!

10 Likes

Yes! The game… even 3 years in has so much “potential”.

Folks try the game out all of the time on Xbox, but leave after 3-4 days played regularly.

Why? Because it isn’t balanced for console, the bugs are horrific, and rewards for grinding are low.

In concept and environment, the game is spot on. Its obvious that FS has great vision, creativity, and game sense.

It is also obvious that their testing systems and execution frustrate most players into quitting.

The community who has stuck around for this game ( no matter how much everyone here complains ) ARE incredibly tolerant and the most loyal type of gamers FS is going to run across.

The average gamer isn’t as dedicated. They’ll play this game for 3-4 days played and drop it when it becomes exceptionally frustrating. It often is exceptionally frustrating AND not because of the difficulty of the game design, but because there are so many unwinnable scenarios for most gamers due to bugs, performance, and balance.

4 Likes

“When it’s done” :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This is a bit of an over exaggeration.

500k copies sold first 4 days of release.
1M copies sold in first 4 weeks of release.

All I remember seeing on Steam charts that night was roughly 70k average players.

Hardly millions playing on launch day…

3 Likes