Been loving the chaos wastes, even with occasional bug and glitch (invisible barricades in count mordrak’s fortress in the latest patch, for example. Though I can’t find the patch notes for some reaosn). However one thing that’s been a bit… under implemented I’d say, is the boons and weapon switches. Specifically, I feel that it’s too random and simple, with not alot of thought on the players part to decide whether or not spending their hard-earned pilgrim coins is worth it. (also mild problem with boons taking up the entire screen for a few seconds when gained, but that’s another issue).
For example: I am not a lucky person. So generally I’ll just immediately avoid any random boon, especially on legend and higher where pilgrim coins become slightly rarer. If I don’t, 9 times out of 10 I’ll get a boon that has minimal impact, or a boon that is completely irrelevant to my build (say using the magic bow and getting one related to ammo pickup) I’ll also avoid weapon switches unless I’ve got a white or green weapon and the choice is exotic or unique.
Another thing; the monster chests are really fun and challenging, but the boon reward is often lackluster (again, super unlucky person here). I’ll often scrape by the edge of my teeth on a higher difficulty with a hoard and specials spawning while I’m taking down a monster, than be rewarded by a random choice of sub-par rares- some of which aren’t even applicable to my build.
Shrines are somewhat better- as I can make informed decisions before showing up (at least on the team boons), and know what to expect. Of course, the random boons on the side tend to give me the same issues with the chests…
What I’d suggest is the following:
• Random Boons (found in level for 200 coins) should give the options between two boons of low rarity (say rare, with the occasional exotic and no uniques). This would give more incentive to pop them, as at least if you got two horrible boons, you’d have to be SUPER unlucky to get two boons that can’t even affect you. (though, knowing my luck…)
• Trial Chests contain a minimum rarity of exotic. This would give even more incentive to do the trial chests, and make them more worth the risk. A monster is often dangerous enough on its own if you get bad positioning (looking at that one stupid cliff in the lava place), and considering the fact you may get a horde, a load of specials, or even another monster during it, I’d say they need to be buffed just a tad. And if the above suggestion is also followed- they’d become a source of uniques that are generally really powerful.
• Shrines (map section) should contain character-based boons/talents (for the randoms, not the team-based ones), which would then not appear on the main map (leaving the main map to be where you get chaos-waste specific boons). This would increase the importance of shrines, while also increasing their use as they’d have a specific purpose. It’d also be nice to stop getting certain character based boons (talents) (the ones with both a merit and demerit) in the random boons so you don’t accidentally cripple your build. (Say the mercenaries’ or zealots’ talent that removes random crits to give guaranteed every five strikes- which is utterly crippling in some cases). It’d also divide the boon pool, and give a bit more control to the players as they’d have a higher likely hood of getting the boon they want in certain areas, increasing the choices the player can make. (I think I may have botched that explanation).
• Random weapon switches should be split into two- one to reroll the weapon type, and one to reroll the properties and traits of your current weapon. Some weapons are just not as fun to use, or not as relevant to certain builds on some characters as others (say sienna’s base class running dot-focus with a normal weapon compared to one of her blazing ones capable of igniting). In the same vein, some properties and traits just aren’t as useful in some builds as well. If we could get a mini-shrine (I really don’t know what to call the boon and weapon switch things in game. Caches?) for properties (with no effect on weapon rarity) it would be fantastic.
• Continuing off the above- it would be nice if the weapon switches offered you a choice between two weapons (similar to the mini-shrine suggestion i mentioned first) . As stated above, some weapons just aren’t as fun to use for certain players, or as useful in certain builds. (I for one am a massive fan of polearms of all types, and will always go for one when available regardless of gameplay value for the simple joy of using said polearm.)
That’s about all of what I can think of for the moment. Not quite sure how to end this as I don’t often post on forums (Though now that I’ve posted here I’m very tempted to make a few others… )
Tell me what you think~♪