Change shotgun behaviour when reloading

Hi all, sorry if this was mentioned but I would like to leave feedback in the way shotguns behave when reloading which also extends to the revolver.

Right now, the reload for the shotguns and revolver is interrupted when the reload is initiated while aiming down sights or when initiating aiming down sights mid reload.

This is very different to almost every FPS with shotguns where the reload is only interrupted when firing the weapon.

In my opinion, reloading should only be interrupted when firing the gun. This would allow players to still keep pressing the aim down sights button/mouse button when reloading so when the reload is completed, the player can go back to aiming down the sights quicker upon reload completion.

Of course I can just release the right mouse button to solve the issue. Personally, I want to see this changed so that it is more in line with other FPS games and would be a good QoL change.

2 Likes

Id rather aiming to cancel reload stays
If it was changed to your suggestion, id never use it again.

3 Likes

Imo it is fine for a reload to be canceled by any action that involves the weapon.

This is how shotguns work IRL and in a game setting it gives the player far more agency and control with their playstyles. Your suggestion would prevent the chaining of Veteran Ults properly once you’ve reached 0 shells without specific shotty/talent reloading setups.

However, I’m all about preference and accessibility, so I’d rather see them implement a “Gameplay Option” in the settings area for players to check or uncheck the behavior of auto-load versus ADS interrupt. This would be a simple solution that could make everyone happy.

Maybe I did not clarify in my OP.

How exactly does it prevent chaining of Veteran Ults when the reloading can still be interrupted by pressing LMB/firing the weapon?

I don’t really care about IRL. Heck if we want to use IRL, then shotguns can be reloaded while still aiming down sights and of course, not when firing the gun itself.

My feedback is pretty much based on other FPS games where the shooting mechanics for shotguns after firing all rounds in the tube and reload initiates, reloading would continue despite still holding the RMB, and the reload would be interrupted mid reload when firing the gun.

It threw me off when keeping my RMB button pressed caused my reload to stop after putting one shell in the chamber.

What other games allow you to continue ADS while reloading a shotgun? Just curious more than anything.

In the situation where you need to interrupt your reload to shoot something (that would benefit from ADS), how would you propose that a player would interrupt, aim and shoot in a ADS-while-reloading configuration? I haven’t used shotgun in a while, but an LMB interrupt would fire the weapon, right, so you wouldn’t be able to ADS?

Or is it strictly the reload-from-zero scenario where continuing to hold RMB would buffer the ADS until you complete the reload?

Ahh alrighty, now I get what you were referring to.

Yeah I’d much rather use your suggested mechanic then, as I can’t think of a Darktide specific talent nor blessing that would benefit the shotguns from wanting to easily maintain lower shell counts (Crucian Roulette, Salvos, etc.)

This would be more relevant for the Revolver regarding Crucian Roulette maintenance & the Vet talent for quick reloading on Elite kills (otherwise you’re having to walk around slowly with ADS to prevent auto-reloading). So yeah, I’d still just suggest offering the toggle-able option for players to select their preference on this, but I’d prefer your suggestion being the game’s default checked option.

Hmm, I have not played enough shotgun but in the latest Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, you can reload guns while still aiming down sights.

But I also need to clarify that when I said other FPS games still allowing reload to continue while still pressing the RMB, the gun isn’t being aimed down sights. It is exactly as you said in your last paragraph that I was referring to the reload mechanic of the shotgun should change.

It is my preference that I would go into aiming down sights the moment the entire shotgun is reloaded as I keep the RMB pressed throughout the reload. The main reason is because it is what I have come to known when playing FPS games.

As for interrupting the reload to fire while wanting to aim down sights, maybe for like half a second or even lesser upon pressing the LMB, the shotgun would go into aim down sights and fire. A “quick scope” maybe. I think that’s how other games do it too.

I believe you can do the same in Insurgency sandstorm, its been a while since I last played so might be wrong on this.

1 Like

Sorry for the double post I have not figured out how to multi-quote

I apologise for not being very clear. Main reason why I prefer the mechanics from other games is because things can really hit the fan really quickly in this game and I would prefer to not having my reload interrupted because I still have my RMB pressed.

So if I want a full reload, I prefer not having to release the RMB, get a full reload, then having to click the RMB again. Often times I do forget to press the RMB because the situation causes me to start shooting first.

I know it sounds like a small thing that is not very important considering the rest of the game needs improvements.

Here you can see the shotgun animations from Modern Warfare 2 and it does allow reloading while in ADS:

Some of the other reloads, like for the revolver, should be in Darktide like reloading two bullets for a partial reload and using a speed reloader for a full reload…

1 Like

I get what you’re saying.

You’re ads, firing away. You want to hit R to reload and have the game automatically drop ads, reload one round/cartridge, then jump back into ads without releasing rmb.

I can’t see any harm. You can probably mouse macro that you know: can with razer synapse anyway.

I’m not sure I’d use it v often mind you. If I’m reloading I probably want a few shells in there, else I’m likely switching to melee anyway if there’s just one shooter left. One at a time is inefficient elsewise

TY for the clarification, I understand better now. I thought you wanted to keep the ADS active during the reload animations. Seems like a reasonable request tbh, and with what you propose, it could be a case that only a continuous rmb input at the moment the reload starts gets buffered (so ADS waits for the reload to complete), and releasing RMB at any point would put you in the normal reload state where a new RMB input could interrupt

Or just have it as a toggle as you said, to either (1) always buffer or (2) never buffer the RMB input. Less complexity for all involved - I don’t think the players need additional input techniques, especially where they don’t actually add value, and less complexity to implement (in theory)

1 Like

Make shotguns actually do damage in the first place becasue even at point blank range they feel like back scracthers.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.