Seeing as FS has announced the next career coming, it might be interesting to discuss once again what the general forum goer thinks about the issues and what alternative concepts could be possible. The choice is obviously Fatshark’s and looking at SteamDB and the two added unknown packages 7th Octobre 2020, it may very well be done already (then again, this could be something completely different or nothing at all as there are other/older unknown packages).
To give some ideas I will shortly present the current set-up as well as quickly brainstormed (which is an awful word -_-) potential alternatives. For discussion’s sake we assume that the price for both together (career/weapons and cosmetics/challenges) is fixed at 10 $ (or whatever it was for GK).
Scenario A - As it is
Most likely scenario as it has been proven to work. The career will be available for a low price while those in supporting mood can spend more.
- Pro: generally it works, people have the option to get the gameplay relevant parts for a cheaper price
- Contra: with more than double the price the cosmetics are very expensive and people expect stuff to be for free “as all other careers have challenges and cosmetics coming for free”, leads to reviews in the wrong DLC; makes later packaging slightly problematic
Scenario B - One DLC
The cheaper variant will be removed and there is only one DLC which includes everything at the higher price.
- Pro: Everything contained in one package and no complains about DLC for DLC
- Contra: No choice, many people are simply not interested in challenges/cosmetics and have no cheaper option now, so they either skip or have to fork out more money; will look weird for future buyers that the first career has two DLCs while subsequent careerrs have only one (although historically explainable)
Scenario C - Switch Content 1
Cosmetics will still be sold separately, however the accompanying challenges will be transferred to the cheaper version without reward.
- Pro: As challenges for magical reasons are content it might please some people, very similar to Scenario A and functional, GK DLC could be changed without larger issues
- Contra: with more than double the price the cosmetics are very expensive and people expect stuff to be for free “as all other careers have cosmetics coming for free”, leads to reviews in the wrong DLC; price seems slightly more expensive since challenges are not part anymore
Scenario D - Switch Content 2
The cosmetics and challenges will be part of the cheaper version. However, potential new weapons will be sold separetely.
- Pro: People have accepted weapons as separetely sold content in the past better; could also be sold without being a DLC for a DLC unless the new weapons are strictly restricted to the new class
- Contra: It looks weird if career DLCs are handled differently and in this case GK can not be changed to accomadate; makes later packaging slightly problematic; people wanting only the gameplay relevant elements for cheap have to invest more as weapons are now separate
Scenario E - Pooling Cosmetics/Challenges
The career/weapons will still be sold as cheaper version while the new cosmetics/challenges will be included in the GK cosmetic DLCs. The price of said supporter DLC will increase with each release of a new career (however less than the sum of two cosmetics DLCs, so instead of 6+6 , it would be 9 for example).
- Pro: Can be declared better as supporter pack and early buyers get more for their money; as later cosmetics will be added for “free” if already purchased, FS might make more money this way as people are slightly more willing to buy a “complete” package which may also include career cosmetics they are not interested in
- Contra: Less choice, if I only want three careers and respective challenges/cosmetics I can not buy them without getting stuff I’m not interested in (although this is the same for the base game).
Those are just some potential alternatives, there are obviously more. With this said, what would you prefer personally, what would you consider the fairest for the average user and what would be the most economically for FS? Poll only refers to personal Preference:
- Scenario A
- Scenario B
- Scenario C
- Scenario D
- Scenario E
- Multiple Scenarios acceptable (see comment)
- My way (see comment)
- We don’t need new careers, we need a Hammertime gameplay mode
Backlash-wise, I don’t think it will make much difference with either scenario. Some people seem to have no toilet at home and will take any chance to take a dump on the game and/or the developers.
So, with all said. Take the chance to voice your opinion (or to ignore the thread, viable choice too).