Camera stutters when moving closer in the hub

Issue Description:
When you are standing still in the hub the camera moves closer to the character model with a lot of stutter.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. go to the hub
  2. move, then stand still
  3. the camera will move closer to your character after a short idle time - the moving camera is very, very stuttery (like playing a movie in 5 fps). The FPS stay the same though, it’s just the camera movement that seems to be very stuttery.

Mission Name (If Applicable):
Game Hub

Platform:
Steam

Reproduction Rate:
Constant (100%)

My Logs:
darktide_launcher.log (645.1 KB)
console-2022-11-27-18.56.08-c278c761-7096-4b93-86f0-0507953b121c.log (1002.9 KB)

1 Like

Thank you for your report. Could you please include console logs of a session where this happened, as well as your launcher_log file?

These may be found by doing the following:

Upload Console Log:

1. Press the Windows key + R
  2. Enter %appdata% within the search input and select ‘OK’
  3. Navigate to AppData\Roaming\Fatshark\Darktide\console_logs
  4. Locate the console log that corresponds with the session in which the issue occurred, by looking at the timestamps in the log names
  5. Upload here

Upload darktide_launcher.log:

1. Press the Windows key + R
  2. Enter %appdata% within the search input and select ‘OK’
  3. Navigate to AppData\Roaming\Fatshark\Darktide
  4. Locate the darktide_launcher.log in this directory
  5. Upload here

This ONLY happens when there’s a “in world” UI element on the screen e.g next to armoury/mission terminal.
If you stand away from a terminal/shop without UI the camera zooms in smoothly as expected.

1 Like

I noticed this too. At first I thought it was raytracing causing frame loss or something driver related, but after playing with settings and seeing no changes I figured I would just wait for it to get patched. Then playing around with walking in the hub i noticed it only happened on the start of moving and when you stop.

The camera is attempting to soft follow you like it has a shock absorber against your on/off movement behavior. The camera follows an animation path (like most everything does) and instead of smoothly moving along the steps of the path it is snapping to each one. Picture a smooth curve you draw and then you have to trace it, but you can only trace it by drawing lets say 5 straight segments of equal length. The camera behaves as if it is snapping to each point instead of smoothly moving along the line.

I used to do some computer animation, guess it paid off finally. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

sadly no, I wrote this after the beta has already ended :frowning:

Nvm, I didnt know the log was still there: here it is (I also put it in the original post for good measure)
darktide_launcher.log (645.1 KB)

I noticed that this problem occurs after 1-2 game runs. When I have just started the game, the zoom-in was still smooth, but after a few runs it becomes stuttery.

This issue is still happening on launch
Using a logitech G pro wireless mice
Turning down the polling rate does not help the issue
What information would be helpful?
console-2022-11-30-19.46.44-d8db93b9-c180-447e-8c7d-d96fcc6e462f.log (91.8 KB)

I noticed this too, but I ignored it because it only happens facing the big green hologram.

No longer seeing it after the Beta.

Yay, I feel like I contributed. Now I can go to work and tell HR they are full of crap!

1 Like