Burblespue Halescourge thoughts

To me it’s not that he’s too hard, he just seems imbalanced for the rest of the difficulty level he’s on. It’s like on Vet or Champ you get to him and it’s much more difficult than any other boss or level you’ve come across on that difficulty. He doesn’t seemed like he’s tuned properly for the difficulty he’s on.

If you don’t have a good dodge on your character, some teleports will screw you over. And cover doesns’t work all the time. I know the mechanic. Doesn’t change a thing. And again I am able to beat him. That is not the problem.

I have done this fight almost exclusively as either Merc or Foot Knight, neither of which have innate bonuses to movement speed or dodge range. There is no such thing as an undodgeable teleport scenario unless you were wedged in a corner before the port, which is your own fault.

1 Like

If the boss would be alone, i would agree. But it seems you have never ever played with a team having low power level. Low killing power for that matter.

I will not even continue to answer “gid gud” comments, because this is a team based game. I have no problems at all, playing with my friends (the ones having the right power level, that is), as i have said.

Adds spawn during one window, while the boss is upstairs. Below champion armored enemies aren’t even in the add pool. The center of room attack provides both clean up time and helps with clean up of adds itself. How low power are we talking here that having most of these dead before he starts single target teleporting isn’t something one dedicated person can handle? 100 below difficulty cap? 200? You have to know being 200 below difficulty cap is going to have noticeable walls in difficulty.

You seem to have changed your tune to the problem being not with the boss, but with how unprepared, ignorant or incompetent pubs are likely to die fighting him. The idea that this warrants a change to the boss I think is stifling to the community more than anything. Boss missions are by definition going to be riskier than regular missions, and if you don’t like one boss in particular, skipping out on a quick play 1 in 13 times is a speed bump of minutes in a week’s worth of play.

1 Like

It’s interconnected. Context. I still don’t like the bosse’s mechanics any better and won’t run this map in Quick Play. If you read my posts you could see, that i’m not changing tune at all. Same problem, different angle.

I said everything i wanted to say to this topic. Even Reddit is full of it. The discrepancy of difficulty and requirement /scaling is very clearly at this point.

Let’s see what Fatshark thinks about it.

Peace out.

Did another successful run with random players, who did not perform optimally and we lost a grim and a tome. But a win is a win, I tried to explain the fight to them but they weren’t having any of it. So figured I’d make a video with bots and do it on champion difficulty. Was quite bad, got struck twice through the wall thingie which usually does not happen. The bots performed above and beyond the call of duty, they like my elf are level 30 with 600 power level which does make it easier. I also tried to go in with grim and tome to remove any pots to help out even though the bots picked up pots. The bomb I figured I would need, but rewatching it I doubt it. Even had a blightstormer cast his muck right in the middle of it. I think an issue is that a lot of players are not good at doing damage, they get caught up in trying to survive that they do nothing but that. In the game with the real players this was the end score.

They were 30, 28 and 25 in level. Power level unknown.

i know he has ‘evacuated’ the thread but i just wanted to pitch in.

This is kinda a poor excuse on a thread which talks about defeating a boss level. As people have mentioned, all his mechanics can be dodged if you play well enough (assuming no lag issues), which means that with the right application of your weapons, a knowledgable and skilled team WILL be able to down him with say 100 power level. Sure, you can argue that a fresh newbie team will not be able to down him. Yes? that’s the intention of a BOSS? to weed out weakness and to ensure only a certain level of skill and gear is able to defeat him comfortably.

It’s like saying that skittergate is impossible with a team of new players. uhhh… of course?

if low power is the problem, then fix it. if people can’t dodge, fix it. if people are dying to random mobs. fix it. asking the game to be dumbed down to cater to lousy skill - there are difficulty levels for that.

2 Likes

Its beatable doesnt mean its good, yes I got your point, I am not saying to nerf or boost him, I just came here with feedback.
You know, Ive been playing games for reaaaally, like reaaaaaaally :hourglass_flowing_sand: long time, and now when I get into new game I have the urge to compare thing from the new game, to all the experience I have with other games.
So I spent half of my life on WoW, and now when I see new RPG with talents and bosses I almost instantly see flaws and what will be OP or bad. And I try to help :kissing_smiling_eyes:.

Still following me? Great :+1:, lets get down to business: :clipboard:

• Are there obvious design flaws? - Yes :white_check_mark:
  • Are there people from different parts of the community who have problem here? - Yes :white_check_mark:
  • Are there ways to fix-fix? - Yes :skaven:

When I play with my friends, I can take my level 10 stinky midget :face_with_hand_over_mouth: with 200 power level into Legendary difficulty and they can basically beat this boss for me, without single restart.
But that doesnt mean this boss isnt hard or problematic.
People dont see the difference between difficulty and challenge. Hard boss doesnt mean it is challenging fight, and challenging fight doesnt have to be hard.
And yes you can learn to live with broken leg :poultry_leg:, there are people who can live without leg at all, but wouldnt be better to have the leg healed?

I was planning on making more posts about possible changes for bosses and enemies, because all bosses could be improved, but it seems this community doesnt appreciate changes :sob:.

naw we appreciate changes, but the community is very divided on whether these changes are good or bad.

on one hand, making bosses too hard means too many people will be frustrated on the high skill ceiling and avoid the level, just stop playing or generally have a hard time.

on the other hand, making it too easy would bore people out.

so there’s always conflict on how to balance encounters to be a middle ground, because there’s so much skill level differences and opinions.

You do claims but offer no explanation to it. What is flawed with the boss? From Wikipedias definition of a video game boss.

In video gaming, a boss is a significant computer-controlled enemy.[1] A fight with a boss character is commonly referred to as a boss battle or boss fight. Boss battles are generally seen at a climax of a particular section of the game, usually at the end of a stage or level, or guarding a specific objective, and the boss enemy is generally far stronger than the opponents the player has faced up to that point.[2] A boss enemy is quite often larger in size than other enemies and the player character.[3] At times, bosses are very hard or impossible to defeat without knowing the correct fighting approach. Bosses take strategy and special knowledge to defeat, such as how to attack weak points or avoiding specific attacks.

Perfect explanation, but I think I said it before in another post. The issue really is that players do not want to learn, they do not want to adapt. They just want. Having played video games for thirty years I can say that this boss is absolutly nothing special, by any means. If you have really played WoW as long as you claim (even though you did not give a number but it seemed to be up towards a decade) then this boss should be easy. People simply do not fight as a team, they do not play by the mechanics, they do not learn. #1 reason any team falls in Vermintide is lack of teamplay. People do not cover each other, they do not position themselves correctly, they do not use their cooldowns, attacks, abilities and tools in the most optimal way.

If you can link a video where the boss does mechanics that cannot be dealt with then that would be different. Like teleporting behind a player, 1-shot perma death, and does this every 2 seconds. THAT would be impossible if you added it to this boss in this game during these circumstances. Last but not least, this is the beauty of this game. It comes with FOUR different difficulties. Can’t beat it on champion? Go veteran! Can beat it on veteran? Go champion! As simple as that. To ask a developer to balance a boss across four difficulties and all the different players abilities just won’t happen. That’s why they make a boss and let it be. They are most likely running statistics over amount of completions over all difficulties. If it shows that 0.000001% can beat it on veteran and above, then a nerf will happen. Though I doubt this boss will be.

Oh you … you are pulling the good ol´ “git gud” with no way to dodge on me.

Uff … why do I even do this to myself, my mom always told me to not talk to strangers :confounded:.

According to that description you could just dump overgrown skaven on end of every level and call it a day.
Would it be boss? Yes.
Can you make it hard? Yes. Just give it dmg that deals 99,9% of your HP and billliiioooons of hit points.
Can you call other to “git gud” on it because you can kill it and others cant? Yes.

But would it be good? N-o-p-e.

I am not talking about boss oneshoting you, I am just talking about locking you inside box with angry stormfiend isnt great idea.
Yes I used argument that people have problem with it. But only because improving whole boss fight would also increase their survival chances.

You are trying to turn me into one of those people who just run around and shout nerf at anything that kills them but thats not me.

Where you see box with hungry chaos spawn inside as a challenging boss fight, I see stone upon which I can build entertainment park everyone will gladly enter just to get stomped.

I am in gaming world for long time enough to realize that not every bark :dog2: (that doesnt even look like a dog) on forum makes it into the game, this is just feedback forum, where you should feed back … wait … what … where you should talk about your feelings :sparkling_heart: you have while you play.

I always say that: “nerfing doesnt equal balancing”, and instead of just saying “hur dur halescourge killed me nurf him”, I prefer to watch the boss, and go something like: uhmm, if we added this to that then you could add this while making the other thing stronger etc …

And second thing I say is: "dont eat the yellow snow "…
Also:“Hard doesnt mean challenging”

(I dont know if you played WoW so I wont use proper names)
Now you know Halescourge. Now imagine, just imagine something like this:

Take small arena, something like, uhm Well Watch was it? One of the wells.
Circle or square arena, with object in the center, and secondary floor you could run up to.
And now drop this boss I posted inside. Imagine those “walls of ghosts” and “green blobs” she is shooting around are those slime copies Halescourge has. And those summoned shadows could be Chaos warrior.
And combine it with AI of halescourge. Add some small changes like “boss is static while channeling walls
And tadaah boss is here.

Now tell me this wouldnt be better boss than what we have now.

I am running out of ways how to get you out of may topic! :rage:

@tris

I feel you. I stated my point of view clearly. But ppl react with a pseudo-elitist attitude. It’s always the same (During my GW2 times for example. I ran the hardest dungeon in game solo no problem, but when i got some critic up regarding game mechanics, ppl shouted “gid gud”), off-topic and rather boring, to be honest.

In short, git gud. :roll_eyes:

If you can link a video where the boss does mechanics that cannot be dealt with then that would be different.

I don’t have a video sadly and I only saw it happening in one of the fights again him but I am pretty sure he has a spell where he can stop your movement. You can not move and you can not block making you effectively a sandbag. Not sure if there is a special trigger on the spell or if it can be avoided. But I haven’t noticed anything in that direction.

Other than that there are ways to balance the fight without making it easier to win even in the same difficulty.

No thats actually one of his abilities, usually when he teleports on the upper floor he starts summoning small black clouds, like clouds of flies or something :cloud: :butterfly: and these clouds will chase players and when they reach you, you will get stunned as if gutter or leech caught you.
You should be able to shoot those clouds I believe, and others can save you too once you get caught.

See I think I mentioned that half of the people dont even know it exists :smiling_imp:.

But he can teleport outside of the arena if you want stuff that cant be dealt with. :scream:

You did mention in your op one cloud which does nothing and most people don’t know about. So maybe you meant that? I haven’t read every post so it may be mentioned later somewhere. But good, I will remember that I can shoot them.

But difficulty put aside there is just more stuff you could do with this fight which maybe makes it more interesting and also more bearable. As melee orientated fighter it is a bit annoying to run from teleport to teleport.

1 Like

These clouds have killed me more often than anything else in that fight. They are just so hard to notice when you’re dealing with the hordes and Chaos warriors he spawns in. It would really help if those things at least had an audio cue (annoying buzzing sounds maybe?) that gets louder as they get closer to you.

I also think the fight could be made more interesting if you introduce two simple new mechanics:

• Make tome blocking a thing for this fight
  • Make Halescourge scaled with the amount of carried Grims. Only those obsessed should have the really hard time
  • (Maybe introduce something like a boss die to remove some dependence from Ranald’s grace)

The complete post can be found here:

Personally regarding the boss I’d like to see these possible changes, as I feel these are the most aggravating and honestly the entire reasons people hate this boss specifically.

1. Decrease the hitbox / coverage area of his Bile Ghosts, or decrease the movement speed of them.

This change would serve to give players better ability to react to constant Bile Ghost spam, allowing them to actually dodge the damn things if they aren’t on the opposite side of the arena to whatever corner Burblespue appears in.

1. Remove the constant Hordes and Specials marching in for more controlled “waves” of enemies at different percentages / sections of Burblespue’s health.

This aspect of the fight with the constantly spawning and charging enemies is another big reason people don’t like the Burblespue fight, as right now if you can’t finish him off quick it becomes a big war of attrition where you either survive his and enemy spam or fall to one of the inevitable Hordes that comes by like every 5 minutes.