Bardin's melee weapons balance

This is feedback about the current state of dwarfs melee arsenal.

There’s room for a lot of improvement, imo.

(a small test)

Made a bit of a test for all melee weapons available on Ironbreaker (except shields).
Spawning and fighting each time against: 3 maulers, 5 marauders and 5 fanatics, on Legend.

What video should show, is how easy or hard it is to use those weapons in a typical fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCgvitEcfP8
I noticed how Coghammer and Dual Hammers allow to be much more dominant, while some other weapons feel more like fighting for your life.

Greathammer is also reliable with charged spam, but only in this context where it interrupts every enemy attack.
If we add Chaos Warriors, Savages, Monks, or just more dense hordes (if elite is 2-3rd+ target hit, he may not be interrupted), then Coghammer and Dual Hammers i think will easily win, their higher attack rate + dodge work makes it possible to be a lot more effective in those circumstances.

Slayer can make other weapons feel good and powerful, but he shouldn’t be considered in this conversation, because he’s a pure melee career with insane attack speed buffs, and great damage buffs.

We should talk about dwarf weapon balance in the context of Ranger Veteran, Ironbreaker and Outcast Engineer, cause they don’t modify the weapon parameters as much as Slayer.

And on them, i don’t see a reason to pick anything else than Coghammer and Dual Hammers (other than for style).

These 2 weapons have everything covered:

• Great THP generation through stagger (all 3 careers have Temp Health from Staggering).
  • Decent horde clear speed (other weapons are either the same at best, or lag significantly behind).
  • Good at fighting mixed hordes with elites - through sheer speed, cleave and stagger strength (many other options struggle with this).
  • Best Swift Slaying uptime due to innate fast attack speed, and dual hammers having double crit rolls for heavy attacks.
  • Amazing single target DPS (other weapons don’t exceed this).

Bonus points: with Coghammer you can hold your own even without SS active, Dual Hammers have a good mobility.

There is a point for shields as self-defence tool for ranged careers.
And those careers have certain builds to buff melee (RV - attack speed & beer, OE - power stacking & from cranking).
But the issues are still there: the build variety is lessened.

By default, most dwarf weapon attacks are over-empathizing certain attributes, while severely lacking in others.

Weapon suggestions (updated)

1h axe

On its own, using 1h axe is difficult and frustrating. Ranged AoE can compensate to an extent, something like drakefire or drakegun, but its again about the build variety. Imagine running 1h axe and handgun on Ranger Veteran.

• Increase cleave of Light attacks from 2.24 to 2.5 with added Tank Modifier.
    So it goes through 1 fanatic, or 1 clanrat.
    It will still only hit 2 slaverats.

• Increase movement speed while Light Attacking to the level of Dual Hammers. With similar lunging.

• Increase movement speed boosts while doing Heavy Attacks (lunges).

• Buff Heavy Attacks body shot damage against infantry and monster.

• Buff dodge distance from 120% to 125%.

1h hammer

A good enough weapon, sadly Dual Hammers make it redundant.
Trying to horde clear with this is annoying, its a constant race to staggerlock enemies while they take pitiful damage. Have to push-attack all the time, cause Light 1/2 have bad angles for hitting multiple enemies.

• Light 1 animation - copy it from Light 1 of Hammer & Shield (its a horizontal right to left swing).
    This will change push-attacking from being necessary to optional.
    Which will combat repetitiveness, and improve the capability to hit multiple enemies.
    Then, Push-attack → Light 1 - will be two horizontal swings back to back - something extra to use your stamina for, but not a requirement to do hordeclear. You could just do Light 1 → Light 2 → Block cancel.

• Buff Light 1 and Light 2 damage a bit, to 1st target hit. Add some damage against armored (like 3-6 to the body).
    Comparing horde damage from Light attack of 1h hammer (10.5+4.5+3) to 1h sword (12.5+11+4.5), its a 56% difference for 3 targets. The gap becomes a lot bigger in practice if you factor in damage cleave difference (75%). 1h hammer should still be weaker of course, but not to that extent imo.

• For context, this is Dual Hammers Heavy attack 2&3 horde damage: (13.5+6+4.5), and thats just for one hammer out of two! On top of 50% more damage cleave compared to 1h hammer!
    No wonder Dual Hammers are a lot more satisfying to horde clear with.

• Nerf Light 1 & Light 2 stagger cleave a bit, to offset the aforementioned damage buff. Its a bit excessive and doesn’t do a whole lot.

• Nerf Light 1 & Light 2 stagger, particularly vs elites. Its mostly a gimmick, make it an optional path for Opportunist builds. Its also a bit silly how your hammer Light Attacks totally bully stormvermins & bestigors, can interrupt even Chaos Warriors, but deal no damage with bodyshots.

• Nerf stamina from 9 to 6.

• Increase Light 3 & 4 stagger vs elites.

Shield weapons

They could use more build variety, more meaningful builds. So Swift Slaying build would be interesting, and Opportunist build too.

General suggestions (applicable to Axe&Shield, Hammer&Shield, Sword&Shield):

• Shield bash - add 10% crit chance on this attack.

• Shield bash - reduce outer hitbox radius (the one that has low stagger and deals no damage).

• Reduce Push (inner) stagger strength vs Armored and Super armored enemies. Rough equivalent would be at 550 hero power. So you’d need +4.1% power for interrupting Stormvermin overheads.

^ relevant for SS build

• Increase Push (inner) stagger strength vs Berserkers. Make it easier to reach stagger breakpoint of pushing Plague Monks out of their combo, with Opportunist trait. It should be Opportunist + 10% power, max. Also could possibly increase Savages stagger resistance a bit (their stats).

• Make it easier to reach stagger breakpoint of shield bashing Chaos Warriors - interrupting their overhead attack, with Opportunist trait:
    1] for main target of shield bash, it should be Opportunist + Enchanced power + 20% power, max.
    2] for inner radius of shield bash, it should be Opportunist + Enchanced power + 30% power + around 30% power from talents. So Footknight could possibly build for staggering unlimited amount of Chaos Warrior overheads.

^ relevant for Opportunist build

• Nerf Temp Health generation from Shield bash (with stagger THP talent). Some capping is needed, so you don’t refill half of your health with one shield bash.

• Increase Block Cost a bit (inner radius).

Axe and Shield

• Increase cleave of Light attacks from 2.24 to 2.5 with added Tank Modifier.
  • Buff Heavy Attack 3 (overhead) body shot damage against infantry and monster.

^ from prior 1h axe suggestions

• Reduce stagger cleave of Heavy 2 (axe sweep). It is unnaturally high.

Hammer and Shield

Have similar problems to 1h hammer, plus singletarget elimination is very tedious. Push-attack combo is 80% of this weapon, the uncharacteristically fast overhead → uppercut.

• Light 1 animation - copy it from Light 1 of 1h Hammer (angled right to left swing).
    Several reasons to replace it:
    1] Better headshotting and single target prioritization. There’s already enough crowd control in the weapon thanks to shield bashes.
    2] More visual variety. You already have Heavy 2 horizontal swing, that comboes with Light 2 swing.

• Add Light 4 attack (overhead) from 1h Hammer, with the same position in Light chain.

• Change the combo after shield bash to: Shield Bash → Light 3 → Light 4.
    This will add a singletarget option outside of push-attacking.

• Push-attack should not have a separate combo, it will be only a Light 4 overhead, then it starts over from Light 1 (or Heavy 1).
    You can still spam push-attacks for damage and CC, but Shield Bash → Light 3 uppercut → Light 4 overhead is a new & good alternative.

Copied from 1h hammer suggestions:

• Buff Light 1 and Light 2 damage a bit, to 1st target hit. Add some damage against armored (like 3-6 to the body).

• Nerf Light 1 & Light 2 stagger cleave a bit.

• Nerf Light 1 & Light 2 stagger, particularly vs elites.

• Increase Light 3 & 4 stagger vs elites.

Great Axe

A fun weapon, but very punishing, doesn’t do enough to warrant the risks.

• Heavy attacks need better: damage / range / cleave / speed - in that order of being a sensible buff.
    Heavy attack totally needs better damage, for headshots and bodyshots, notably against infantry & monster.
    On top of that, either more range, or slightly more cleave (so you hit 4 marauders).
    Because the innate attack rate is so low, the heavy attacks often feel unrewarding, unless you stack max attack speed on RangerVet, or play Slayer.

• Push attack should be buffed with better cleave, to the same level as Heavy attack.
    And more importantly, Push attack should transition much faster to Heavy 2.
    Doing chained Heavy attacks, you get less time window between them, than in between Push-attack → Heavy 2.
    It might be an input buffering issue after Push-attacking.

• Light attacks need slight nerfs. Either damage vs armor, or overall bodyshot damage, or reduce the attack speed of Light 1&2.

• Heavy attack could use some nerfs in regards to stagger vs elites. But only in response to aforementioned buffs.

Great Hammer

Decent weapon but not great.
Annoying to horde clear with thanks to low damage and constant juggling of enemies it creates. And often the only thing you can do is keep spamming Heavy attacks, because new enemies keep skating in.

Unreliable elite control with Heavy attacks due to: mediocre attack reach, low attack rate, and Heavy attack may not interrupt an elite if its 2nd+ target in your swing.

• Increase range of Heavy attacks. Maybe for Lights too.

• Make so that if you hit an elite enemy with your Heavy Attack, no matter what target it was in your swing, that elite will be interrupted if your base stagger (for 1st target) is high enough for that elite. Sounds complicated, but in practice will feel a lot more reliable than how it is currently.

• Lower Plague Monks (combo) and Chaos Warrior (overhead) stagger requirements.
    Opportunist trait should be enough to interrupt Plague Monks combo with Heavy attack.
    And Opportunist+EP+10% power vs - enough to interrupt Chaos Warrior overhead with Heavy attack.

• Slightly increase Heavy attack damage vs armored, to body and head.

War Pick

A worse Coghammer in every way.

Heavy attack have two stages.
Full charge is unusable in any real fight, and its DPS is questionable even at the best of times.

Partial charge is so much worse than Coghammers heavy attacks, its insane:
Infantry: 38.75 (53.25) Armored: 19.50 (26.75) Monster: 58.25 (69.00)
Infantry: 38.75 (79.50) Armored: 33.00 (67.50) Monster: 58.25 (101.75)
Headshot damage in brackets.

And its on top of much worse movement when attacking - you feel like a turtle doing Warpick heavies, and you fly around doing Coghammer heavies.
And its on top of faster attack rate with Coghammer Heavies!

Light attacks are very similar in profile, but Warpick’s attack rate is a lot lower.
Coghammer Light attacks are like a whirlwind.

Warpick could be made strong and different from Coghammer, if we think more of an inverse Greataxe.

• Light attacks should be low-medium cleave, low-medium stagger, medium-high damage. A bit faster attack speed. Glaive’s Light attack comes to mind, for a good starting point. Try copying it and adjusting a bit.

• Moving while Light attacking - should have bursts of speed (same as Coghammer) instead of being constant, to improve the feel.

• Light attacks should destroy shields. Heavy attacks destroy shields and damage enemy behind it (including Stormvermin shieldrats).

• Increase movespeed boost during Heavy attack release. And reduce moveslow after hitting with Heavy attack.

• Warpicks unique movespeed boost - during Heavy stage 2 - should be applied much earlier (as early as Heavy stage 1 is ready to release). That could make Heavy stage 2 more usable.

If i had to nerf Dual Hammers or Coghammers, i’d do this:

Dual Hammers:

• Dodge distance from 15% to 10%
  • From 8 to 6 stamina
  • Slightly less movement speed with Light attacks
  • Slightly less headshot damage of Heavy attacks
  • Reduce stagger cleave of Heavy attacks

Coghammer:

• Reduce stagger cleave of Light Attacks
  • Slightly less attack speed with Light Attacks
  • Slightly less headshot or bodyshot damage of Heavy Attacks

6 Likes

I normally just run legend with friends so my position comes from premades.

Iron breaker is great with just a shield and axe since you can stagger everything and to get temp hp and then use the opening to just pump fire shot guns into everything or the flame thrower.

The OE is also great with the shield since you can just run AP rounds and a flame thrower and use the shield the just send stuff away and the axe to cut down elites slowly if needed.

The cog hammer feels great and is great and the dual hammers are just not what I want from my melee when I play those two classes since I just want push back for space and temp hp.

I know this doesn’t work on cata but idc.

Now what you said about all the other non shield non dlc weapons is right they all don’t work well besides the great hammer.

I use the dlc elf axe and it’s great fun but when I use the dwarf axe it feels awful and I’m pretty sure it’s something to do with the dodge range but I haven’t checked its in detail stats.

Yeah the berserker thing is interesting, I can only assume it’s a conscious choice that bladed weapons stagger them better than blunt weapons but I agree it’s just a bit too unreasonable an investment on great hammer, especially when the stagger breakpoint tends to stop working once you’re trying to stop more than one of them in a flurry attack.

I messed around with great hammer FK for a while using a stagger breakpoint guide trying to get the mix of reliable interrupts and DPS that I wanted and eventually came to the conclusion that ironically greatsword just does what I wanted all round better, and CW damage was a fine enough sacrifice to get more reliable interrupts and better DPS on almost everything else (when grouped).

Great axe is a weird one. Like it’s definitely good, very good on Slayer, and pretty good on IB who really doesn’t mind doing some hit trading, but you just can’t really frontline with it very well which is a pretty big deal for a melee class trying to do their part in a team, I don’t really know what the best solution for it is.

1h axe yeah those changes seem conservative and reasonable. Rest of the proposed changes for other weapons I don’t really feel strongly about one way or another.

@Velsix I feel like you’re very reliably on point on topics like this, would be curious to hear your stance on these suggestions.

1 Like

You wrote an interesting analysis for the dwarf’s weapons but in my opinion there should be further considerations:

1. the ironbreaker class is designed as a tank class and therefore in my opinion it works better with a weapon and shield. We just need to look at his talents and their related icons. After all, if we wanted a class that destroys in melee we have the slayer. The ironbreaker class is survival first.
  2. Each weapon’s attack has a damage value for each enemy class (unarmored infantry, armored, CW, monster and berserker), damage cleave, stagger cleave, stagger strength and attack speed in addition to mass modifiers. If a weapon did everything well enough that would be the only weapon to take and the rest would be superfluous. Dual weapons have the advantage that they attack from the outside to the inside from both the right and left. Thankfully one-handed weapons recently received the push-attack change at least for starters.

In conclusion, no developer will ever be able to satisfy all players. To satisfy one player they will end up making another player dissatisfied.

What FatShark has never done well is to include a function similar to the armory and bestiary in the game, two applications that I appreciated. At least those of you who play on PC had this support. Those like me who play console games have no idea which features to choose to reach breakpoints.

FatShark first put only the descriptors of the weapon characteristics and then that spider web table. For me a little short to choose a weapon.

1 Like

We paid extra for cog and dual hammers. :wink:

2 Likes

Totally, taking Opportunist means no Swift Slaying, and thats a huge hit to Greathammer’s viability. And you also need 3 properties + EP for interrupting Plague Monks on top of Opportunist.

Hence why Opportunist build should give something more substantial, with easier to reach breakpoints and doing something cool (like Chaos Warriors overhead interrupt).

exactly. You take Opportunist and your attack rate drops a lot. So you’re very reliant on each individual Heavy strike to do more work for staggering and creating openings, but due to stagger strength dropping for off-targets, its unreliable. You can keep 1 elite stunlocked, but there’s a bunch of other elites and infantry all around doing what they feel like.

Felt the same. Tried maximum stagger Greathammer on FK, it interrupts Chaos Warrior overheads with Heavy attacks. But i felt worthless with this weapon build. There could be 2-3 chaos warriors in a fight, and it was so pointless trying to keep them staggered with Greathammer Heavy attacks (that also deal so little armored damage).
Trash enemies around them would often eat my Heavy attack first, preventing the stagger on the Chaos Warrior. Not to mention the hitstop when Heavy attack meets the Chaos Warrior (so infantry have more freedom to hit me), but this should stay.

Yeah, Greataxe solo is hard for non-slayer characters.
Its working well when you fight near a teammate, but the rewards are not enough for this requirement, imo. Because in teamfight context, Greataxe’s single target DPS is roughly same as Dual hammers or Coghammer, and horde DPS is maybe slightly better.

So, I agree with the weapons being super weak on OE and RV, but IB and Slayer are mostly fine.

We worked out the melee bonuses that allow them to do this a long time ago, but I didn’t bookmark it. Pretty sure Slayer just gets an obnoxious amount of AS, and IB can tank hits + gets Stamina Passive.

On OE and RV, you’re essentially knocking stuff over to death. I’ve said for a while those two Careers probably just need a flat melee Passive of some kind. The best Weapons to run as them turn out to be just Shields due to the insane THP generation and ability to make space for more shooting.

On top of all that: Bardin’s attack angle is from a lower place, which makes going for headshots actually take more effort in some cases. I’ve said before, the only reason I don’t main Dual Axe motorbike Slayer is due to this. Should benefit bodyshotting more.

1H Axe:

• They just need to go full Darktide on this mf

Mining Pick:

• Special Attack to hook shields open when?
  • It’s too slow and it’s Light angles are too bad
  • It’s defensive stats are lacking
  • It’s movement while doing Lights is too slow
  • It’s too slow to proc Swiftslaying
  • Other Traits aren’t usable due to how slow and clunky it is
  • You get overwhelmed by a shield enemy appearing on your screen

Shield Weapons:

• I’d like to see more killing power, but less Stagger THP

Slayer:

• Pretty much eveerything works, even 1H Axe is viable, due to like 70% AS
  • Rarely see anyone doing the Mining Pick thing due to how many other good CW killers there are

IB:

• 1H Axe and Mining Pick just suck
  • Greataxe is in a really good place and feels amazing on him with Drakefire Pistols for procing Hunter with the far left Talent for shooting speed. I’d put Greataxe with Drakefires as one of his top 3 build. The + Stamina is what really carries it
  • Greathammer with Opportunist and Stam+BCR is great on him - this with Flamethrower is probably his best build in the game or at least on par with rocket launcher

RV and OE:

• Shield Weapons are most viable as, much like Huntsman, you can take a Shield for stupid THP and then avoid Damage Reduction Talents
  • 2H Weapons feel really slow, and getting hit a lot while using them feels bad
  • Cog Hammer sucks when you’re overwhelmed by Elites on these (not for Slayer and IB though)
  • You end up using Dual Maces or 1H Mace, which as I said, are just knocking stuff about until it dies, due to no melee buffs
  • 1H Axe obvs doesn’t work
  • Mining Pick just isn’t worth picking. I have a meme build where I spam pots on RV and get Ults with it, but it’s still not even worth playing

Over all, I’ve always thought Bardins Melee Weapons was the weakest in the game, but it’s probably mostly due to a lack of Melee Buffs on most Careers. Even IB is mostly defensive (as it should be).

I still think OE should have had his guns + melee buffed instead of focusing on Bombs and Crank Gun.

2 Likes

For me the ability to tank hits and +1 stamina shield, is more of a bonus and doesn’t affect the weapons usage much. I think of it more like a QoL bonus, where i can play more relaxed and less focused.

I’m not a fan of Drakefire Pistols, because it effectively becomes a primary melee weapon, while Greataxe becomes a secondary thing. You also lose a lot in special killing, which is important in pub games.
I’d like to see Greataxe viable with any ranged weapon on Ironbreaker, not to be shoehorned into one loadout.

I had a thought similar to this, but not about headshot difficulty (its mostly fine for me, if the weapons hitboxes are proper). Its about awareness and seeing much less whats going on behind the front line. Elites and specials can more easily hide and sneak their attacks in. What you face in front of you - the enemies flailing at you, it blocks vision more than for a taller character. So i thought: damn, our dwarf should be compensated for this drawback in some way :smile: More health than average, more resistance to pushback from enemies, etc…

2 Likes

Agree with the other things you’ve said.

On this, it’s more that this is a problem for killing power.

E.g. SnD on Keri is all at a pretty even angle, if you put the heads to the left and right of the crosshair, you’ll pretty easily and effortlessly maintain a high headshot%, and also have a lot of Elite damage.

Whereas the majority of Bardin’s Weapons, even if you do land headshots, from the lower angle, have a lot less killing power over all.

So for me it’s a bit of both. Especially some of the downwards attacks, where you essentially have to look above heads.

It’s also a visual clarity and awareness problem.

2 Likes

Maybe Bardin should have a special “groin shot damage modifier”?

No wait sorry, “dongliz shot modifier”

Eh hard disagree.

Thematically the crankgun focus and bombs to a lesser degree are way more unique and fitting to the class than another melee focus. Yes they’re kind of struggling with tuning the bomb talents, but I rather they took this unique path rather than more generic melee talents.

The over-focus on melee and Crits was the most disappointing part of Necromancer’s talents

4 Likes

I like all the ideas here. Especially axes. They need just a bit of cleave. Another possibility might be further increasing the base crit chance to allow for more cleave because crits give a good bit extra cleave. It’s the 10% crit chance on light attacks for the regular one-handed axe that makes it interesting to me. I experimented with build’s that get use that to get 25% crit chance on light attacks with +40% crit power and taking the level 15 power talent to get that to around 50% bonus crit power. It’s not terrible on non-slayer/zealot stuff for Saltz and Bardin. I really found it complimented use of Grudgeraker, but you have to be exceedingly careful.

In addition to your proposed slight cleave buff, I think possibly, give all axe weapons +5% crit chance on all attacks, and bring the 1h-axe light attack bonus up from 10% to 15% bonus crit chance. Then you get extra crit cleaves on some attacks. Also, they should be able to deal with shields even better. I think make a single strike with any light axe break a shield in one shot, and have it even break stormvermin and chaos warrior shields in a suitable number of strikes, or at least, get them staggered out of their guard.

Yes.

Seriously though, I’m not sure, but I do think it’s worth mentioning when discussing the topic of his Melee Weapons.

Not sure why I chose Kerillian’s SnD as an example, when simply trying Kruber and Bardin with 2H Mace Heavy Attacks would have proved the point.

If you’re too close to the front enemies as Bardin, the headshot angle makes you miss the ones further back.

Also causes issues for Armour Piercing Slugs.

It just is objectively easier to get more damage on taller Careers with the same Weapons. I’d even use Ogryn as an example of how OP being taller than enemies can be.

Should anything be changed? shrug I’d honestly imagine this is more effort than it’s worth to change, but it’s still just something that should be considered.
Should this be considered? Yayeh.

Lets just put out some possible changes for if they do change anything:

• Removal of the need for headshots while buffing other things?
  • Possible extra Stagger multiplier, doubling down on not going for heads (for the sake of argument Mainstay as a Passive)
  • Single target headshots get a higher multiplier (GAxe Lights, Great Hammer Lights, 1H Hammer Heavy, CogHammer Heavy, etc)
  • On-Kill mechanics

That’s fine. I understand the need for uniqueness, I’ll just simply say I find his Ranged/Melee weaker on OE, and Cranking the Crank Gun isn’t very fun for me. I’ve talked more about this here (obvs disregard calling for bomb nerfs as it’s already done): Outcast Engineer buffs are overkill

Don’t want to derail.

Have you tried the 4% power bonus at 5 stacks? You also got Piston Power and Combined Arms. The raw damage and power bonuses are bigger than Ranger Vets.

1 Like

They’re good suggestions. The overall direction and goal are good enough that, despite disagreeing with some of it, I would be happy if they were all implemented.

For what it’s worth, Greatsword ought stagger Monks less than it currently does. Alternatively, the 2H Hammer could do more damage to Monks to compensate its increased risk when fighting them.

Its heavies are sorely lacking.

Overheads should generally have a lunge movement curve; that is, slow, fast, then slow again. The prime example of this is the Exec’s heavies, which people love the feel of for the movement (damage and sound as well of course).

This is a much needed change, but only if the bashes are nerfed.

The bashes are the strongest attack of most shields and enable content trivialisation. Their strength makes buffs to shields undesirable.

The number of targets shield bashes hit should be lowered, to achieve which to lower the bash’s push radius (not to be confused with the push’s push radius) is a way. If that is done, then the 1h weapon buffs and many qol improvements, such as fixing the wonky hitbox of Sword & Shield’s stabs, should be done.

Stagger strength can be set individually for each target number in the swing, so making the Greathammer’s heavies more likely or practically always stagger an elite if it’s the 2nd target is easy to implement.

The stagger values are manually set for each armour type, so Fatshark could raise the Greahammer’s stagger strength vs specifically Berserker and Superarmour to make it reach stagger breakpoints vs Monks and Chaos Warriors.

Crits do not affect cleave unless they stagger an enemy, who would not be staggered by a non-crit version of the attack, and the crit attack reaches a new cleave breakpoint because of the enemy’s stagger state (this comes up sometimes with armour sliding weapons).

On the topic of Bardin’s disadvantages due to his height, half-serious idea:
Bardin is short enough that they should let him see Assassins and Packmasters in hordes. This could be achieved by giving Assassins a unique glow and Packamaster’s hooks a gleam, both of which would be visible only to Bardin.

3 Likes

Interesting, but in effect, I do get “a bit” not enough, but a bit of extra cleave and it’s immensely helpful, even if it’s only on 1/4 light attacks. That’s because when I use the axe, I try to capitalize on the increased crit chance for light attacks by also adding +40% crit power.

They’re not terrible, but it’s strange that they seem almost weaker than the mace/hammer. Perhaps applying a 15% crit chance bonus to light attacks, and +10% to heavy attacks would help with both the cleave and damage. Then, if a player takes crit power and invests in using axes with crit builds, it might make Crit Power pretty useful for axe users.

Additionally, Axes would be much more useful if they were able to easily one-shot shields and get shielded elites to drop their guard with a single strike.

1 Like

Oh sorry, this was a response to me, I didn’t get a notification. Wondered what you was referring too.

I’ve tried them, yeah, but I just straight up don’t like the way they work. Hitting 5 stacks feels a bit too random, and focusing on Cranking that much is like doubling down on something I already dislike. I played it with a Drakefire Pistols + Dual Hammers build.

Mostly just run him with Flamethrower and Armour Piercing Slugs + ARP Crank Gun tbh. Parry on Mace and Shield and then Piston Power. :sunglasses:

If I play his other guns I just switch Career.

Just a lil bit of something to offset the angle and awareness hit would be nice.

Before they buffed Engineer, it used to be terrible that you’d lose your stacks over time, or all at once when firing. Now you don’t lose them all at once when firing, and with Gaskets, you’ll keep your stacks when you’re not firing. It’ll become second nature just to get back to 5 stacks quickly, and it shouldn’t feel too sporadic with Superior Gaskets.

That gives you +20% power almost all the time. Since Enhanced Power is 7.5% calculated before other buffs, with Combined Arms and the Spotter innate ability, you get roughly 40% bonus power for melee, and ranged, and another +15% ranged power for up to 5 after melee kills.

Curious, why the Parry trait? Shields have a lot of Stamina, and Piston Power restores stamina now.

Anyway, if you like the ARP Gromil Slugs and Flamethrower, I’d give Superior Gaskets a try for extra ranged power. Maybe also try Axe+Shield. Seems like streamers use it a lot more with Drakefire weapons, because it’s better single target DPS than Hammer+Shield, and the heavy 1, 2, block-cancel combo gives you a good bit of crowd cleaving if you really need it between Drakefire uses.

Not liking how Engineer feels is a different story, but he is powerful. However, that’s kinda the problem with Bardin’s melee. To bring things back to topic, Slayer makes everything feel viable becuase you can get an insane amount of attack speed, and Engineer gets a lot of raw power for both melee and ranged. Going from using something like Greathammer on Engineer to using it on Ranger Vet, you really notice how you can’t stagger berserkers with heavy attacks with it. Likewise, just any weapon is going to perform better with 20-40% more power.

The other melee and ranged careers in this game don’t have anywhere near as much of a melee speed bonus as Slayer or a Engineer, and I know Slayer has to be a fast angry meatball, but I think part for all that speed and power is because the talent tree for these two careers has become a way of compensating for what boils down to little problems with the melee weapons themselves. If the suggestions @doom_hamster made were all implemented, Engineer’s massive melee power talents would seem OP, while things like two-handers would become more viable for Ranger Vet.

2 Likes

Heavy 1 has Tank (Axe and Shield doesn’t), so Opportunist isn’t as necessary. I just want complete overkill for surviving Boss + Density in a corner.

I rarely use the melee at all really. Push-Attack combo on stragglers, and then Shield Slam and back to shooting.

My honest hope is to just make RV and OE feel less frustrating in melee, and make the 2H options feel better and less punishing, in general. If things was OP, they could obviously just do with tuning.

The problem is that they’re not planning on reducing versatility and strength of other Classes Weapons, they’ve gone more towards increasing that with each DLC. So Bardin’s already less than mediocre arsenal has fallen behind drastically.

Out of 9 weapons:

• You have 1H Mace (it’s ok), 1H Axe, and Mining pick for 3
  • 2 more are Shield Weapons with low damage for 2
  • The other 4 are more versatile, but still feel lacking compared to the things other Classes have, on top of being on Careers with low Melee Stats
1 Like

I think its ok for Greatsword with Opportunist (and +12.1% power) - to be able to interrupt 1 Monk per Heavy strike. Or you take Mauler overhead interrupt (Opportunist +19% power).

Greathammer on the other hand, should reach that breakpoint with just Opportunist, and interrupt unlimited amount of Monks with one Heavy strike.

Agreed, 1h axe Heavy attacks should do more bodyshot damage, especially vs infantry & monster. With 1h axe you barely have time for Heavies anyway, due to enemy pressure.

The movement while attacking needs to be improved in general.
I noticed with Dual hammers you run a lot faster when Light attacking, than with 1h axe, this doesn’t make sense. 1h axe is the lightest weapon Bardin & Saltz have.

I don’t quite see it that way, but you make a good point that we shouldn’t shy away from nerfs, even for non-meta weapons. Because small buffs over a long time add up, and can make the game too easy.

Clearly overpowered part is Temp HP from Shield Bashing. You take it away, and Shield bashing is mostly a control tool with little damage. Fighting a trash horde is better if you add weapon strikes, than just only bashing (except in rare circumstances of hyperdensity).

As a control tool, staggering elites with bashing attacks has its limits:

1. Relatively small inner hitbox - if there’s multiple elites attacking, you may not interrupt them all with one shield bash.
Inner hitbox size:

While all marauders (except rightmost) are staggered, only those who are damaged are inside inner hitbox, thats the hitbox that has enough stagger to interrupt elites.

Afaik, this inner hitbox is spawned from enemy’s position (1st main target), so you can’t reliably influence where hitbox will appear.

1. Elites doing running attacks may catch you between your shield bashes, especially if you dont have high attack speed. Think of monk trains, or stormvermins/maulers taking their turns.

Outer hitbox of the shield bash can be reduced, and block cost of shields increased a bit. This will allow for offensive buffs (for shield bash crit chance, and main weapon buffs).

The idea i had originally, is to have 2 interesting paths to build your shield: a Swift slaying build, and an Opportunist build. Both of those should provide tangible benefits. But i admit, in OP there’s not enough nerfs to counterbalance the buffs, or to offset previous buffs.

That leads me to another point: dwarf weapons are often too heavily skewed towards certain attributes, making them too bad in other fields.

He doesn’t have a sword or a good cleaving axe, dwarfs weapon attacks are either “high stagger cleave & low damage”, or “no cleave & high single target damage”.

I think it should be smoothed a bit, made just a bit more versatile. But nerfs are appropriate to reduce the strongest parts about dwarfs weapons (stagger cleave, singletarget damage). With that in mind, i’ll be updating OP soon.

I didn’t check OE after last rework. Tried this build type with Greataxe (Opportunist) & Handgun.

Combined Arms + Enhanced Power + 20% power from cranking + Ablative Armor + Full Firerate.

It was a blast. Heavy attack hits 4 marauders, up from 3. Still slow as hell and very risky, but thats at least a solid weapon in melee blender.

And the crank stacks dont drop all-together if i shoot the minigun, its nice. Handgun turns into a handcannon vs Chaos warriors.

1 Like

I don’t know about opportunist on greataxe, even all that power it’s too slow for me, but actually I was playing almost the same build on Engineer using Greataxe with Swift Slaying and crit/speed properties. I’m pretty comfortable dodging several plague monks and berserkers though, compared to having slow speed when cleaving crowds.

For ranged, I was using the Drakefire Pistols and Grudgeraker for thinning crowds out. The extra power makes those dish out extreme damage. I’d give it a try. The Greataxe can handle a few chaos warriors pretty easily on cataclysm with +40% power, and I take +10% vs. chaos to help with cleaving.

If you need more anti-armor ranged, I would try Gromil shot instead of Handgun for a change. I tested it with the extra power and somehow I was one-shotting black rats at certain points. Maybe because I also had Hunter on my Drakefire Pistols.