Auto block in menus/chat etc

This is still lacking in darktide, and I don’t understand how. Its a really nice QOL feature in vermintide 2 that doesn’t detract from the hardcore experience at all.

Why was this not included in darktide? And why has it still not been patched in?

1 Like

Like many qol features that seem pretty standard to have, this is not part of the game for some reason, but there is a mod for it.

Glory to the modders.

1 Like

I’ve had this conversation with a friend, especially about how the devs fixed crucial gameplay issues in VT2, like enemy stagger states resetting on multiple applications of stagger, and we concluded that it’s because they forked a very early version of Vermintide 2 to start working on Darktide.

You can probably deduce this logically with things like crafting management and resources, chest loot and mission reward RNG (especially buffing Ranald’s Gift to be more consistent/rewarding), and other systems that had significant amounts of time pruned from the required amount of hours to get to a satisfactory level of completion.

The improvements to VT2’s kill feed was also developed from a mod someone made at one point.

No idea if auto-blocking was an original feature in VT2 or if they added it later on, but you can safely assume that the reason it doesn’t exist is because the version of VT2 they started Darktide on didn’t have it.

VT2 came out not too long ago. It came out in May 2018 and it took until well into 2019 and 2020 for the game to see massive leaps in QOL and general improvement. And we know Darktide had taken several years to develop (and with several delays as well).

The devs did not fork off from vermintide 2, unless a developer personally lied to me. Prior to launch I discussed input queueing with a developer and why there were issues and they stated to me that they built this game from the ground up, rather than it being built off of VT1 (like vt2 was) or VT2.

However, this doesn’t excuse them from not learning from features that were introduced in VT2.

overall this game feels like it was developed alongside but blind to VT2, especially with the stamina/dodge system working like VT1.

I’d be hard-pressed to believe this was the case because Darktide has a lot of the exact same issues that Vermintide 2 had at launch and for several months.

I’m sure since it’s the exact same engine that they inevitably coded the exact same problems, which would be impressive, but stagger resetting on enemies was an issue in VT2 that got fixed much later, and it currently exists in Darktide.

The (horrible) coefficients for critical hits and weakspot hits that Vermintide 2 has currently exist in Darktide, ie. 100 damage + 50 critical damage +10% critical damage is actually 100 + (50 x 1.1) and not 150 x 1.1, amounting to a less than 4% increase in damage.

Most of the structure of the gameplay is still very much the same as far as I can tell. Darktide is much more responsive and feels better, however, so that tells me that they were told to do what they did in Vermintide 2 even if they started from a clean slate.

Either way, it’s frustrating.

Even if they started with a clean slate I bet they reused a lot of code.

yes, a lot of the damage calculations are the same however it was not built off either vermintide 1 or 2. Im trying to dig it up but Hedge from fatshark did say so, and I play with people who have a lot of experience with modding both vermintide 1, 2 and darktide, and I was just checking with them and they said that a lot of the code does not resemble either game and a lot of it is just remade in darktide.

Discord_2022-11-22_15-29-55

When it comes to the structure of the game. It has a lot more in common to vermintide 1 than 2. From combat down to the meta game systems such as the contracts etc. However it also did not copy them from vermintide 1 going off of the code.

You say that darktide is much more responsive and feels better, but going off that I don’t think you actually have that much experience with the nitty gritty of the game because of the issues with input queueing which exist in darktide and haven’t been completely fixed, which were not issues in either vermintide 1 or 2. Fundamentally it is less responsive/consistent because of this at a base level.

The fact that performance is also much worse overall (which is not necessarily bad, it is a newer game…) also makes it a lot less responsive.

A lot of the issues in darktide are actually just born from the development of darktide, presumably by people making similar mechanics, but missing a lot of the small details.

It was also a mod that was added in lol. A mod that I believe goes all the way back to VT1.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.