Add a Alert for Snipers

The shooting sound is regularly occurring after the sniper shot has already hit us. There is no “cue” at that point. On high difficulties, you will be all but 1 shot by a sniper with no way to know where they are. You will have had no idea that they existed until then. They shoot through floors, fences, and un-ping-able areas.

1 sniper MAY not be run ending for a great team, but if you’ve played difficulty 4 and 5 (not even with high-intensity), you can easily get 2 at once, and the run can be over with no recourse.

It’s not a surprise factor. It’s usually (more than 75% rate from my experience) unlockable damage that you take with no player agency or enhanced gameplay experience.

This is akin to walking through a minefield while solving a timed Rubik’s cube. Darktide is the Rubik’s cube. The mines are RNG sniper shots. I don’t find mines to be fun and interactive in any way. I cannot learn nor improve myself without some form of tool. Even slot machines and Minesweeper give you a chance at winning.

1 Like

That’s the issue. We aren’t reliably getting an alert. We get hit, and then we hear the “the gun just fired” sound, without an initial “he’s aiming” sound nor a visible laser of any kind. I have no problem if you want to spawn them at 300% rate. This game is much easier than modded & twitch vermintide, when things are working properly. We are arguing that there are client/server/coding issues with how the alerts and mechanics are working in practice.

2 Likes

At first I thought that this was fine because you just get used to it but the more I think about it the more I wish the Snipers did in fact have a spawn sound. It’s all fun and games until you’re having fun and playing damnation while carrying grims or just trying to clutch and you just get sniped from the back and oneshotted because you didn’t expect the sniper warning sound and got blasted. The Sniper is very deadly, you can totally challenge them when you fight them 1vs1 and dodge their shots but otherwise they just force you to be in hyper focus mode at all times unless want to expose yourself to the possibility of losing all your toughness and 2/3 of your health because you weren’t ready to react. I don’t think this is good design. Give them sam fisher night vision googles sound when they spawn and they will be a lot less frustrating to fight.

Nah man i much prefer losing an entire run because two one shot wonders spawned way in the back behind both background clutter and hordes of walkers and gunners, impossible to see, and down all 4 of us within 3 seconds before anyone has time to react

Ok, because for me too, it seems to be a gameplay/ server issue rather than one with snipers. In huge crowds several Rager can get “lost” until they kill you.
Same for Trappers, which have SEVERAL sound cues to mark their coming/ that they are on their way.

No, FS needs to fix their game, but the Snipers are fine as they are. A bit of tweaking would surely not hurt (like a Blue/Green Laser or a “2sec” preparation time before the 1st shot), but otherwise they are golden.
Spawn rate or such are another matter and should be looked at if that’s intended or can be changed (especially when many seemingly do not get the alert (laser, flash, firing sound)).

1 Like

I got sniped without warning when I jumped to the lower level one time. In the air. Absolutely nothing I could do about it.
I think the fact that veteran have a wall hack is the reason that snipers have no spawning sound. It would trivialized finding them.

It seems like we agree that when snipers are functioning as intended, snipers are fine. I just wanted to make the distinction between that, and the bugs that exist with their audio and visual cues not working on client sometimes.

1 Like

I don’t think this is an question of gitting gud. As you very well said, this is a game, and it’s supposed to be fun. One shouldn’t necessarily need to get better at the game in order to have fun with it, if getting better is not what they have fun with.

But the thing is, unexpected snipers are FUN. At least to me. The best part of this game is chaos. The clusterf**k that happens when you have a hundred enemies sorrounding you. And your team is split up. And there’s explosions everywhere. And they just keep coming, but someone needs to fix the bloody servo-skull. And a teammate got trapped. And flamed. And the one who went to the rescue got dogged. And a mutant is making you fly. But you land on your feet and you start putting order to the chaos. Prioritising your actions, prioritising your targets, thinning them down and trying to save the day against impossible odds. That’s what is fun to me.

The sniper not having a spawn-in sound is just one element that contributes to creating the clusterf**k in the first place. I LOVE it when one of my teammates gets downed by a surprise sniper in the middle of an open corridor, and a teammate goes to the rescue and they get downed right next to the first one. I LOVE clenching my butt-cheeks behind a corner, looking at my only standing teammate on the opposite side of the corridor whose cheeks are clenched too. And I don’t need comms to know that we are both thinking the same thing: “Well, crap… how are we going to get out of this one?” And I LOVE solving that puzzle that just appeared out of nowhere. And I love it all the same even if I’m the first guy to get downed by the sniper. If it costs us the game? Well, at least I had some fun. If we make it out alive? Great! I had some fun and won some extra xp and cash. Either way I had a good time, so mission accomplished.

Surprises are fun! Embrace chaos! Embrace the clusterf**k! Let sh*t hit the fan! :smiley:

Now, if the sniper sound is being played after taking the damage that’s something that needs to get fixed, no discussion there. Same as with shots going through solid objects, or enemies not being taggable behind shoot-through fences.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

We are very different people.

I don’t consider a surprise 360 no scope sniper with zero warning that ruins the run fun.

Fun is a challenge you can overcome.

Fun is not a sniper skipping its animation for aiming and instantly shooting you in the face, removing your toughness mid horde and chunking your health.

As to people saying it’s a skill issue in general: Until they get their sh- stuff together both server wise and animation/combat wise, it’s entirely valid to find them more frustrating than fun.

1 Like