Rerolling a trait with precious orange dust and getting the same trait as before is not very fun

This issue is in our internal bug tracking database, however, I do not know when it’ll be looked at as our relatively small team are quite busy with other tasks at the moment. That does not mean we do not care about this issue though, hopefully we can take a look at this soon, but can’t make any promises.

Sorry for the long wait and thank you for your patience!

6 Likes

I’ve gotten stuck in trait loops with specific items: where it only oscillates back and forth between two traits, occasionally sticking to one of them. A few minutes ago, I was re-rolling traits on an orange soldiers bow and it kept moving back and forth between scrounger and resourceful sharpshooter. I went through 10 orange dust in this manner. I’ve had this happen once before with a trinket.

I mean to ask, as you understand the bug (i.e. getting stuck in 1-2 trait loop) is it connected to efforts to craft within a quick time frame, or is it bound to certain items (i.e. this item will always have these traits)? I’m asking because I would like to know how to play around this issue – if you guys know something about what triggers it.

I won’t in any way claim absolute knowledge in this, but judging on a few people’s stories about this, it may be because for each crafting session, the RNG picks a new seed for its number generation. In one crafting session, this seed stays the same, and if it’s one that causes strings of one or two results, problems occur. If you reset the random seed (maybe by trying another item, maybe by closing and opening the crafting window, or at least by loading a map), it would start producing different results.

Now that I think about it, this might be part of why runs seem so different for different people… If this kind of trouble appears on the AI Director RNG too, it would mean that each run would have a tendency to either spawn few enemies, or a lot of them, but as the seed isn’t changed during a run, the enemy amounts would stay about the same during the whole run. The troubles are more apparent on crafting, even if they occur during runs too, as while crafting you see the results more immediately, and they have a smaller pool of results.