Zealot. F skill - a buggy or incorrect description

Issue Description:
Zealots have a broken basic “F” ability. The description of which is not true.
It (ability), based on the description, should affect damage ONLY to melee weapons, however, this is not the case. It also affects the ranged weapons, and not just one shot, but all of them.
And let me tell you, everyone takes advantage of this bug, some intentionally and some not even aware of it.
Of course, this is a fun bug, but it affects the gameplay, very much. So remove it or change the description, just fix it as you see fit.

Steps to Reproduce:

1.Play as Zealot on the map Psykanium.
2.Press the F button.
3. Shoot a dozen rounds at the enemy (in the process, look at the damage).
4.Wait for the end of the F ability.
5.Fire a dozen rounds at the enemy again (in the process, look at the damage).
6.Feel the difference.

Mission Name (If Applicable):

All

Platform:

Steam

Player ID:

Reproduction Rate:
Once - Rare (<10%) - Unusual (<25%) - Common (<50%) - Often (<75%) - Constant (100%)
100%

Upload Supporting Evidence:

2 Likes

specifically the effect you are noticing is that Chastise the Wicked causes your ranged attacks to treat armour like it is one tier lower - carapace blocks like flak, flak blocks like unarmoured. i always assumed the tooltip is broken, it’s quite central to the overall zealot power level and has been in the game since the beta at least now.

e: if you haven’t seen already, this guide covers what the feats and abilities actually do:

and i would estimate something like maybe a quarter to half of the tooltips for feats etc in english are either completely incorrect or very misleading.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve seen some of that information, I’ve found out other places, like youtube.

Eh, I’d like to see it in the game someday, rather than searching with a flashlight through various forums and videos.

TBC it does that for your first melee attack after Ult as well, it’s just that shooting your ranged weapon doesn’t immediately end the effect like hitting something in melee does. Not sure if the ranged weapon is also getting the +25% damage or not. At very least the armour piercing effect should be listed in it’s description.

I do hope they don’t remove the ranged interaction, it lets Zealot do fairly unique things with weapons like autoguns and auto pistol and widens his effective ranged options significantly as a consequence. Feat and blessing descriptions generally could really use to be cleaned up and made more accurate.

3 Likes

the ranged weapon doesn’t get any kind of bonus damage at all nor a crit, test on unarmoured enemies and you’ll see what i mean. this is why the effect is so pronounced on crushers (being the only carapace enemy) and also what makes autoguns viable on the class since lasguns still aren’t very good against flak. it adds a lot of complexity to chastise since it’s your primary survivability tool, but you can burn it early for mobility, a crit, some AP to drop a crusher, etc. leads to a lot of interesting second to second decision making.

imo it would be a bit of a shame to go.

Yeah I’d assumed as much and knew it didn’t get crits at very least. Thanks for confirming. TBH I’d use Agrip Brauto on Zealot even without the ranged interaction but auto pistol feels like it needs it to be a valid choice. The only thing I find it a bit problematic for is Flamer. Flamer really doesn’t need to randomly do good Crusher damage but it’d be highly unintuitive to not make it work on one weapon specifically. In general I strongly agree it’s better the effect on ranged stays as is.

Yes, indeed, you are right. On anyone with any armor at all, this skill affects the damage on that armor. But only on damage, it doesn’t affect crits.
On those who don’t have armor, the damage remains the same.