The Masterwork Pistol does way too much damage

He does, but they’re all a bit dangerous for Engineer to be using imo (Cog Hammer seems safe-ish but still awkward to kite with). His safer options don’t deal great damage to armour outside of the 1h Axe, and unfortunately they didn’t give him thp on kill.

I agree that it’s good for Plague Monks. Bardin doesn’t have much reach on his melee weapons so it’s helpful to be able to kill a bunch of them quickly. Shotgun is good here too but less flexible than the Pistol.

I mean the breakpoints I suggested would mean something like a 15% reduction in damage across the board. That seems like a significant nerf to me. How much would you think is reasonable?

1 Like

Didn’t disagree with your proposal (though looking at my post now it does come across as aggressive/like I was disagreeing, sorry). I was highlighting how insane the balancing is for Cata at this point. There are already people saying the Engineer is too weak and I’m honestly worried if this will affect how they balance the next career dlc.

1 Like

killing up to 3 cata CW with an RV ult, without headshots, is pretty bloody good

honestly engineer does feel weak as a career, the weapons however feel rather powerful. Idk if I’d call the coghammer overpowered yet (it’s pretty overbearing on slayer tbh) and the pistol is definitely outputting far too much damage to be reasonable.

1 Like

I think a nerf is justified but to what extent? The damage fall off is pretty high.

2 Likes

I need more tests… but for sure Crossbow and Hundgun keep some advantages.

p.s I was reading (in this thread?!) GK and nerf in the same phrase??? He should be buffed, not nerfed… but I know, it’s offtopic.

2 Likes

just enough so you aren’t 1 shotting cata SV without at least 20%~ power investment tbh

Engi will still hit the BP with only 10% power vs on items but he also can’t sustain the pistol like RV

1 Like

Coghammer is not much less bonkers than the Pistol. Needs close to no, or nor investment to 1hit kill cata SVs and has absolutely zero issues clearing trash.
It must have linesman or something on its light attacks since it cleaves marauders like its noones business.

Right now the Pistol needs nothing but EP to onhit SVs and specials. The Handgun requires you to run EP and needs 3 properties to do the same. Handgun also has 1 bullet per 1.5 seconds.

Make the Pistol require four properties and EP to achieve its current damage, this will also lower the damage vs CWs, and further increase the fall off of the left click, so you dont have a weapon that shreds armored targets and is able to snipe Stormers.

I thought we were talking about the pistol

The attack speed buff from swift slaying affects your ranged weapon speed while active.

1 Like

Seems pretty reasonable, I think lowering the damage but making the damage drop off less harsh would be a good balance.

Effectively turning it into Dwarves alternative to Repeater Handgun; higher damage but worse in other aspects such as mag size, charge time, fire rate, ammo pool etc.

4 Likes

If its damage gets lowered I think having the damage dropoff made less bad and increasing the accuracy and/or decreasing the charge time slightly is fair.

2 Likes

IDK if EP needs a nerf.
It has huge damage falloff and both janky LMB and RMB.
Vermintide would ALWAYS have FOTM weapon picks, whining about them is just weaksause.

It would probably make it stronger. Right now its ~10% stronger than rifle UPCLOSE (NO I LIED ITS THE SAME), but then damage fall off comes in. With such rebalance it would make EP stronger overall.

Ah, wow!

1 Like

The weapon is fine. It’s good damage is outweighed by the windup and the hefty damage drop. Ammo capacity is something that could be looked at, but otherwise, the thing is fine, absolutely fun to play with and stylish as heck.

I disagree that’s the case, having played a few more rounds with the pistol the damage fall off honestly doesn’t feel like it’s that awful most of the time

2 Likes

It’s the good old DLC weapons-give-you-a-win scenario to buff sales. It’ll get nerfed after a while.

5 Likes

I respect your sentiment and I don’t think it is without merit. I do think we will see it nerf’d, eventually. However, one has to bear in mind that Eng provides an aditional 10% damage bonus to ranged weapons to himself, which does increase its utility quite a bit, and his kit allows you to largely disregard crit chance due to the fact you can force criticals. I mean, with 15% base crit chance and the guaranteed crits talent, you get something long the lines of 10 to 12 magazines out of your ammo supply, assuming each critical hit lands and you run scrounger. That’s quite the bang you get for your buck.

I do like the current approach of making weapons excel in one area, but giving them hefty penalties in others. Handgun is still my weapon of choice if I want to hunt specials, due to its reliability.

We’ll see where it goes. I do like the direction of the DLC-carreers, in the sense that they are powerful because of their kits. The existing carreers should be modeled after that.

3 Likes

You could easily nerf the damage by something like 20-30 % and it still would feel really powerful. On dummy I’m getting on average over 100 damage per shot which is insane even considering the damage drop-off.

Personally I would like to see it requiring at least 2-3 shots to kill a cata vermin regardless of the range and in return the left click should have better accuracy and the damage drop off range could be modified to be more favorable.

Its really fun to use but personally due to the lack of accuracy and the insane close range damage potential I don’t really see it being that skillful to use even with the trigger delay.
On legend this thing is even more stupid.

Either that, or older weapons will be brought to its level. Of course, nerfing one weapon would be easier. But you’d have to admit that the current place the weapon is in gives it a distinct profile. Tinkering with it will simply make it a different version of the repeater pistol or BoP. If anything, it adds variety, and that’s good in my books.