Thank you Fatshark for the names of your DLCs

I was searching for more information on the Shadows over Bögenhafen DLC when I read that the name is a homage to the 2nd part a WFRP campaign. I had no idea Warhammer had a roleplaying framework, nor that the The Enemy Within campaign had such good reputation. Just now I noticed the vt1 Death on the Reik DLC as well.

I’m going to run this campaign with some friends in a few weeks. Thank you Fatshark!

6 Likes

Castle Drachenfels is also based on (and in) an existing thing, and afaik that too was a WHFRP campaign or adventure originally (though it might’ve been a novel; I haven’t really delved into these).

In fact, the game has way more in common with the RPG side of things from the group, their dynamics and Careers to the mechanics of the game itself than the strategy side. I didn’t know a lot of it myself before as I haven’t played the RPG, even if some parts are pretty obvious (starting with controlling a single, fleshed-out character) but a day or two ago someone linked this in Reddit. There’re a few interesting observations there.

1 Like

@Moss If you need any material from the 2nd or 3rd edition send me a personal message :wink:

(And I kinda know my way around the first one ^^ But yeah that’s also why I love VT, because it feels a lot like WFRP)

obviously it is not completely true, because it is impossible to replicate any rpg session with paper and dices, but that’s why I’m playing V2. I still hope that some day someone, before I’ll be too old, will make a good 3d 1st person adventure or even turn based one using that system.
If any one want to try it, I recommend the 2nd version or the last one, that is a 2nd a little bit revised. (not the 3rd one, that one was for the yugioh fans) I started playing it in the 90 (the 1st version) and still playing nowadays.

There are things like stats where I prefer the first edition personally. Magic was terrible at start tho xD (I’m doing rn a 1st-2nd version fusion, do you know if there are some noticeable changes in 4th version @azaroth75 ?)

during the university period I was also using a merge, nowadays I go with the plain 2nd, it’s easier to manage having only one book with few personal options.
I didn’t finish yet to read the core book, so the list is most probably just the surface, anyway, in the 4th, compared to the 2nd, were introduced:

• char creation:
  1. choice between wood elf and high elf (different skills and talents). I mean it’s already in the core book.
  2. resilience, resolve and motivation, from the book “Your Resilience is your inner strength, which is directly related to your Resolve, defining your grit. Your Resilience also comes with a Motivation, which is a single word or phrase describing what drives your character forwards
    the motivation is used also to help regain resolve points
    from the book “Gustavus, a young Scholar at the University in Altdorf, has ‘Thrillseeker’ for his Motivation. He lives his life in pursuit of excitement and danger, and Gustavus may regain Resolve points when he actively seeks out risky situations; perhaps he provokes antagonism in taverns, or deliberately breaks the law by stealing the feathers from the caps of State Soldiers.
  • Party Ambition, shot, mid and long term goals to get bonus xp/retire the char making it a npc one etc.
  • Corruption points
  • Career advancement
  1. every career has 4 lvls, apprentist x, x, master x, x-General
  2. for each one you have to buy characteristics, skills and talents advancement, this is almost the same but it has a scheme to follow.
    ex. Each characteristic Advance adds +1 to the associated Characteristic. So, if you had purchased 4 Agility Advances, and your Initial Agility was 27, your Current Agility would be 31. The Advances would cost 25 XP per +1 Advance, as at each point the number of Advances previously taken would be in the 0–5 range. so the next agility advancement would fall in the 6 to 10 range meaning a 30px per each +1 cost. Over 70 values cost 520 px each +1.
  3. Seems that also skills now are managed in a way similar to advancements
  4. You can still buy a new career
  • combat seems similar

So, the big change seems to be related to the careers development and on a first not complete read seems also that the authors are trying to introduce some management related elements.

I have to make some time for reading this book :expressionless:

1 Like

I never liked the Warhammer core rules. That’s the reason why I sat down with a buddy of mine and we basically reworked World of Darkness(WoD) core rules and made a Warhammer “Framework” out of it. The beauty of WoD is that you can basically apply it to almost any settings due to its openness and versatility.

1 Like

Castle Drachenfels is in fact from a novel, one of the Genevieve books, titled aptly “Drachenfels”. The castle-owner was also called The Great Enchanter, and was basically a proto-Nagash - a terrifying undying necromancer of immense power who was defeated by Sigmar. It’s an interesting book and there’s a free sample you can read out there to see a lot of inspiration for Vermintide.

We tried different systems, vampire:the masquerade, d&d, ad&d (forgotten realms and dark sun), stormbringer, gurps, cyberpunk, star wars, call of cthulhu, wfrp.
At the end we kept playing wfrp, ad&d and cyberpunk for years.
In the years we also revised all of them (a friend of mine is the guy who revamped completely the cyberpunk weapons system adding all the real world handgun weapons, I think his papers are still online in internet).
wfrp, the 1st version, was absolutely in need of different retouches, just think about the naked dwarf syndrome.

1 Like