[SOLVED] Battle Wizard Lingering Flames bugged with Beam Staff

Big thanks to @Cornbane for getting to the bottom of this discrepancy

Refer to his reply below for details on why this is no longer an issue (sort of)

Summary

I̶s̶s̶u̶e̶ ̶S̶u̶m̶m̶a̶r̶y̶:̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶e̶s̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶m̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶f̶o̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶B̶a̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶W̶i̶z̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶L̶i̶n̶g̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶F̶l̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶u̶l̶l̶ ̶a̶m̶o̶u̶n̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶i̶c̶k̶s̶ ̶d̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶B̶e̶a̶m̶ ̶S̶t̶a̶f̶f̶’̶s̶ ̶b̶e̶a̶m̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶s̶u̶s̶ ̶b̶o̶s̶s̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶n̶o̶r̶m̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶u̶n̶d̶e̶r̶s̶t̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶L̶i̶n̶g̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶F̶l̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶s̶,̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶e̶x̶t̶e̶n̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶i̶g̶h̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶l̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶i̶n̶f̶i̶n̶i̶t̶y̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶c̶k̶i̶n̶g̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶s̶u̶e̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶f̶l̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶i̶c̶k̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶m̶i̶s̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶e̶n̶t̶i̶r̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶u̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶L̶i̶n̶g̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶F̶l̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶B̶e̶a̶m̶ ̶S̶t̶a̶f̶f̶.̶ ̶

̶I̶’̶d̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶t̶e̶s̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶F̶l̶a̶m̶e̶s̶t̶o̶r̶m̶ ̶S̶t̶a̶f̶f̶,̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶s̶i̶m̶i̶l̶a̶r̶ ̶w̶a̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶e̶r̶m̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶e̶ ̶d̶o̶t̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶s̶u̶s̶ ̶b̶o̶s̶s̶e̶s̶.̶ ̶I̶t̶s̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶i̶c̶k̶s̶ ̶d̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶l̶a̶m̶e̶s̶t̶o̶r̶m̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶u̶n̶a̶f̶f̶e̶c̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶L̶i̶n̶g̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶F̶l̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶.̶

S̶t̶e̶p̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶R̶e̶p̶r̶o̶d̶u̶c̶e̶:̶ ̶
1̶.̶ ̶O̶p̶e̶n̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶M̶o̶d̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶R̶e̶a̶l̶m̶ ̶
2̶.̶ ̶S̶p̶a̶w̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶b̶o̶s̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶C̶r̶e̶a̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶S̶p̶a̶w̶n̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶ ̶
3̶.̶ ̶E̶q̶u̶i̶p̶ ̶B̶e̶a̶m̶ ̶S̶t̶a̶f̶f̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶B̶a̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶W̶i̶z̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶L̶i̶n̶g̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶F̶l̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶a̶l̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶
4̶.̶ ̶U̶s̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶a̶m̶ ̶a̶g̶a̶i̶n̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶o̶s̶s̶ ̶
5̶.̶ ̶L̶o̶o̶k̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶d̶a̶m̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶n̶u̶m̶b̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶u̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶S̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶D̶a̶m̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶ ̶
6̶.̶ ̶T̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶L̶i̶n̶g̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶F̶l̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶
7̶.̶ ̶U̶s̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶a̶m̶ ̶a̶g̶a̶i̶n̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶o̶s̶s̶ ̶
8̶.̶ ̶C̶o̶m̶p̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶d̶a̶m̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶n̶u̶m̶b̶e̶r̶s̶

̶R̶e̶p̶r̶o̶d̶u̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶R̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶(̶C̶h̶o̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶)̶:̶ ̶
C̶o̶n̶s̶t̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶(̶1̶0̶0̶%̶)̶

̶A̶d̶d̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶I̶n̶f̶o̶r̶m̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶:̶ ̶I̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶t̶e̶s̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶E̶m̶p̶i̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶F̶l̶a̶m̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶g̶o̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶u̶l̶t̶.̶ ̶C̶a̶n̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶v̶i̶d̶e̶ ̶v̶i̶d̶e̶o̶ ̶e̶v̶i̶d̶e̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶e̶d̶.̶

You have the Lingering Flames talent on. Burning effects don’t stack with the talent so only 1 of the DoTs from the staves gets applied. It states it in the talent description.
You can see another example of this with the fireball staff.
Throwing a fully charged fireball normally ticks 2 DoTs without Lingering Flames (or maybe the Damage numbers mod will add them together for 1 tick) but only 1 comes out with the talent, then keeps repeating.

It’s the tradeoff to prevent an extremely overpowered Lingering Flames.

Deleted my accidental double-reply (my first time posting here). Edited my post for clarification. Thanks for narrowing it down to Lingering Flames. Yet the problem still remains. I hope you can read my edited post :slight_smile:

It seem to do that now at least for me testing stuff with dual daggers.

Y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶t̶u̶r̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶o̶p̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶ ̶o̶p̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶

Actually there seems to be no option for having the damage numbers add together

1 Like

I’ve done a lot of testing with this myself seeing which staff would be best with Lingering Flames on bosses. Flamestorm staff only has 1 DoT but it ticks more quickly. Lingering Flames or not. So it’s a good pick if you want to put a decent DoT on a boss and then let the rest of the group do damage while you burn down hordes.

The talent prevents ANY addition fire DoTs from being applied, not necessarily the highest. For example, if you apply the fire DoT from one of Sienna melee weapons, it can’t be overwritten by a higher one from the staves.

There is a big different between the Flamestorm and Beam staves in how they do damage.

The Flamestorm staff has 1 DoT. The additional tick of damage you see when channeling it are not DoTs, but “raw” hits from the weapon itself at a rapid pace. You’ll notice that once you stop channeling the spell, only the 1 DoT tick remains.

The Beam staff applies 2 DoTs once you reach maximum channel time on the target. Or more correctly, a tick of one DoT that transitions to the other if you maintain the channel. The first one applied is the lower damage one with more spaced out ticks. After that tick, it transitions into a rapid spree of higher damage ticks. So when that lower damage one gets applied, that 1 little tick, it prevents the DoT that gives the Beam staff all of it’s normal damage from applying. And that first DoT is the one that repeats.

So it’s not a bug, as the talent works as it’s supposed to, but more that Beam Staff’s functionality suffers because of how the talent works.

1 Like

Hmm, maybe fire “dot” isn’t the term I should be using. What I mean in my post is the direct fire damage that you deal while holding down the beam/firing the flamer. There are quite a few high damage fire ticks that are missing from the beam while using lingering flames (these ticks only happen when used against boss mobs, they don’t appear when using it against regular/elite mobs). I’m not talking about what happens when you let go of left click. Your boss damage is considerably lower with the beam staff when you use lingering flames because of this issue. Maybe I need to provide a video for proof :thinking:

Maybe. I’m on the modded realm now myself and reviewing it. What I’m seeing is what I stated.
The DoT stays on as you channel so it gets mixed in with the actual Beam Staff raw hits, which are low and spread out.

And, to be clear, I’m in complete agreement with the point you’re trying to get across. It’s too bad the Beam Staff loses a lot of damage because of how it functions and it would be nice to have a way around it.

What’s strange is how the flamestorm staff, which deals damage in the same way, isn’t affected by this; it still gets full boss damage with or without lingering flames :confused:

The Flamestorm Staff does a lot of quick “raw” attacks from the channel itself and only has the 1 Burning DoT that applies.

The Beam Staff’s “raw” attack is slower and lower damage. It gets its massive damage via transitioning from a lower, slower Burning DoT to a higher, faster Burning DoT as you maintain the channel. Because the Lingering Flames talent doesn’t let you overwrite the first Burning DoT applied, the Beam Staff can’t transition over to the really high damage DoT.

And, to be fair, that DoT would be way too strong to have affected by Lingering Flames. I believe they use the DoT method because there are instances where something might get in the way of your channel. So if the “raw” Staff damage was multiplied instead, you’d have to start from the very beginning if you slip of target for even a second.
The DoT allows you to get back on target and continue the channel while “refreshing” the DoT. A sort of fail-safe so you don’t easily lose damage dealt.

And, I repeat, I agree with what you’re trying to get across. Beam Staff does lose a lot of damage because of how Lingering Flames works, since Beam Staff is the only staff that gets most of its single target damage from Burning DoT.
I just want to make sure it’s known why it’s lost so much damage so the root of the problem can be looked at.

2 Likes

It’s still somewhat of an issue, just not in the way you initially thought. I think it should still be addressed in some way since Beam Staff does lose a lot of its functionality because of the talent. But, at the same time, the DoT that gets applied from the Beam Staff when using Lingering Flames is still the highest damage DoT if you just want to apply it to a boss and then melee/deal with hordes.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.