I thought it was never supposed to, but Mutant hitboxes were janky enough that I often end up sliding past them anyways. I still see slides interrupt their targeting.
Normally you’re completely immune to mutants for the duration of slides, the only way you’d get grabbed before is if you slid into them and stopped or went directly away from them because you’d still be in their path when the slide ended. Now they completely ignore it unlike both Hounds and Trappers.
As far as I know, this isn’t a bug as sliding is not supposed to grant Melee immunity (outside of Hive Scum’s “Slippery Customer” talent) and probably was not intended behavior. I’ve seen Mutants grab people out of slides well before this patch (pre Skitarii) pretty consistently, so it could potentially be an issue with version control, or simply based on latency etc.
Definitely not, mutant grabs are not “melee attacks” they’re grabs, and all grab attacks have been avoidable with slides ever since I started playing in 2023.
People could still get grabbed while trying to slide, but only if they were still in the way when the slide ended. For mutants, it literally made you immune until you stood up.
For example, if you slid directly away from a mutant with the correct timing, there was a chance they’d physically bounce off of you and continue past, same for if you slid into them, you’d either stop and stand up, getting grabbed, or if it was angled right, you’d deflect off them mutant.
This does not necessarily imply that the attack in question is a melee attack like any other (there is a dedicated guide section about ‘the usual’ melee attack types). In fact, the mutant grab, as others have indicated, is somewhat unique because it has its own logic to check for colliding players (via sphere overlap query).
Patch 1.12.4 made a couple changes under the hood (mainly to allow dodge linger time to work on several grab attacks). AFAIK, the current state where slide to dodge grabs does not work is not intended and is going to be addressed.