Right, I agree with that, but you also said:
Which is what I was responding to. And rewards don’t have to be just materials that everyone has too many of. Incentives could be lots of things.
Right, I agree with that, but you also said:
Which is what I was responding to. And rewards don’t have to be just materials that everyone has too many of. Incentives could be lots of things.
Ah I see. Either option could work but I’m not too fussed as long as they place all previous modifiers into the permanent rotation. If they want to expand on that then great but I’ll be happy with the additional modifiers.
I want boredom fixed more than mission related player agency.
Also I have no idea what other rewards there could be. They’re not going to hand out cosmetics…so what would other rewards be in DT?
The modifiers and mission types in DRG are a lot more varied and different. In Darktide, the mission type categories are literally fake and they’re often the same stuff.
DRG has far more sophisticated mission types. There’s one where you build rails and connect them and you end up with a fun rollercoaster. There’s various boss types with different leadups. There’s ones where you collect ore or items. There’s ones where you bring stuff to a deposit spot all mission long. There’s escort missions where you have to protect the machine you’re escorting as you lead it to a big ol egg. There’s ones on a drill elevator, but it’s not just a fake elevator like in darktide. Etc.
Compared to how wholly unique the DRG mission types are, the darktide ones all blend together. Is the mission where you turn off radios really different from the mission where you turn off the anti air turrets near the train? Both you just walk around an arena and hit buttons. Yet one is “Raid” and the other is “Disruption”. Or how about the chasm terminus ammo mission? You gather vacuum capsules and bring them to a central point. In excise vault? You gather vacuum capsules and bring them to a central point. Two different mission types though.
Mission type variety in Darktide is literally fake, they just give them different labels for no reason. I think that is the main reason the game has less variety and more complaints about the lack thereof, because if you look past the false labels given by Fatshark, there isn’t much.
Subjectivity is a thing.
I don’t see the extreme difference in DRG missions of:
dig for minerals
dig for robot parts
dig for eggs
dig for different minerals and carry them to a place
“dig” for “oil” and carry it to a place
dig for a single important crystal
That’s 6 of 9 mission “types” there. All in the same-ish procgen caves vs mostly handcrafted maps (i’m not one dying for new maps in DT).
See how reductive reasoning works?
I’m here for the combat between objectives and maybe a nice set piece or two. Not auspex minigames and carrying things.
I didn’t apply reductive reasoning though, I compared indepth. I didn’t make any comment on the combat or how the games compare otherwise, I explained that there’s less variety because when you compare the actual variety rather than labels and types, there’s less.
Aside from the admittedly cool oil refinery mission, lack of actual variety is one of the main reasons I never got on with DRG.
You seem to have issue with the objective variety of DT, so I was illustrating it’s not as varied as you seem to think in DRG. Changing the mesh coating of the object you’re digging for is not substance to me. And the caves, while having different layouts, all being same enough is also not thrilling.
Having maps I can get familiar with and set pieces I can look forward to like the “normandy landings” after the gloriana lateral shuttle or the oubliette airlock is far more memorable than anything from my time with DRG, regardless of what objective I was working toward.
And I was never asking for different objectives anyway, just the modifiers.
The mutators and anomalies in DRG have about the same amount as DT for things that would actually change up any given mission’s gameplay.
This isn’t an attack on DRG, I wish I liked that game. But to say DT pales in comparison of variety is a bit off base.
I didn’t list those as seperate concepts, either.
I appreciate the points you’re making, they just have nothing to do with my post
We have achieved parity there.
neither did I.
they could have the best “ideas” when it comes to mixing mission types and “mechanics”, the moment I see that comic artstyle and “humor” in any game, I’m out.
I like my stuff visceral, raw, blood&guts to feel right and immersed, tongue in cheek is the last thing that motivates me diving into a game.
apart from feeding that gore-lust, darktide offers combat bar none (maybe quake/doom) whereas what I’ve seen from drg is neither anywhere near its speed nor do the weapons or enemies give me any satisfaction or oomph.
bashing the face off a scab or dreg never gets old, those fantasy weapons in comparison vs insects rather belongs to nickelodeon in my opinion.
so honestly, as long as the action is enticing and flows at a brisk and gritty pace, this here ogryn doesnt give a grox
about what we’re doin or where we are.
and honestly 12 different reasons to shoot and smash aint making a game better when the shooting and smashing itself is boring or silly.
I don’t want to shite on DRG, different strokes for different folks and I know I’m in the minority on it.
I’ll just say it wasn’t the aesthetics that turned me away.
for me this alone was enough to never consider it ![]()
same with folks back in the day “dude you have to play no one lives forever”, took a look and “yeah austin powers shooter my ass” ![]()

No, you were asking why people aren’t asking for mission variety in DRG as much. It’s because it has more mission variety. Purely gameplay wise and mechanically.
nope, sure wasn’t. hence why our replies equally had nothing to do with each others’ posts.
nu-uh, no chance.
good actor, bad movies.
ogryn not like ![]()
Rare index L take. 3 isn’t good, but 1 & 2 hold up really well.
I like all of them
I don’t hate 3, but it’s the weakest imo.
I do quite enjoy a blunt and a blintz though.
I agree with that
The last 2 full missions from FS were Gloriana and the cathedral. Both of which are awesome and have fresh ideas for objectives. I think they listened to feedback before. They’re map game has been strong even if dryer than the Gobi desert for a year