Rework the Loner aura

Designing a game around playing as a team and helping each other, and then adding the AURA that gives literally NOTHING to people around, plus encouraging you to run away, putting yourself in a huge risk, and at the same time making the team weaker against hordes of crushers, specials and monstrosities. This aura works only when this zealot is far away, only for this zealot, and gives nothing on repairs or investigations or when a team just stands at one spot defending against hordes.

What’s the point?

Some “smart” zealots just speedrun maps, thinking they are better than others, that they dont need anyone to play this CO-OP game. And when they are told to download the mod that removes bots, they always start crying the same tune - “nO rEwArD”.
(And of course when a dog bites their ass they will just abandon the match immediately, or reconnect to avoid being trapped… this is just ridiculous)

I dont want to change these people, there will always be edgy idiots who dont care about anyone, but devs can just rework this particular aura. For example, it will give more toughness on melee kills when you are more than 8 meters away from a teammate, or give more damage.
Or completely redesign it, like, enemies near you will be suppressed or staggered more easily. I’m not sure these options are the best or even good enough, but anything would be better for the team than the one we already have.

Please, change it, this is just not right.

1 Like

Being in 2 coherency is still vastly inferior to 4. While I see where you’re coming from, my experience with that aura sucks. You don’t want be far from your team…ever

So I kinda see the utility as sometimes you are away from the team and you get some toughness regen, but ultimately it isn’t good for just ignoring the team. Nothing will make that good

4 Likes

yeah, you need to run 90% thoughness regen speed and even then it’s not great.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think even if you run 30% x 3 curious, it ends up being only like 62% increase or something like that due to how they stack (multi instead of additive?). So, even if you sacrifice 3 slots on a curios (which I did)….it didn’t seem OP at all and no where near worth it to ignore your time.

If you ignore your team, then you suck at this game. It’s that simple

Yea the math is 66% damage reduction if yo do all 3

1 Like

I didnt even mention the effectiveness of the aura in the main post, even this sucks lol

Yea I’m saying it’s not the aura problem. Those people just aren’t good at this game. I quickly realized it wasn’t meant for what you are describing. It sounds like you don’t like bad players, which is fair

I meet them even on auric maelstrom, and i dont want to. Its a team-based game, not a single-player one. I even started thinking about abandoning a team the second i see the Loner in it.

For some builds, loner is a tax node, if not for every. Its being taken because benediction is to costly to reach.

5 Likes

Plasteel. On my zealot I typically pick up 420+ (blaze it) every match.

This involves a lot of going off on my own. The loner aura doesn’t really come into play mind you as the teamplay build I have doesn’t sport it.

I also tend to run a lot of stims to my team since I’m so fast and find so many they can often just get a nice little damage boost in their pocket often without realizing.

I call it a sapience test to see if they ever pop it.

Admittedly what I do is extremely anomalous at the very least in the terms of stim running.

This. I would much rather have 15% toughness damage reduction for me and my team but that then largely scuppers any sort of decent build involving Blades of Faith, Shroudfield, Thy Wrath be Swift + Shield of Contempt and Inexorable Judgement. So Loner tax node it is.

Would be nice if they added something extra to it like +5% movement speed for you and your allies. Another interesting (but likely OP) option would be ‘You and your allies are always in 2 coherency’ therefore adding a bonus not just for yourself but for allies as well if they find themselves alone or separated from the group.

Honestly, sometimes I think ‘You are always in 2 coherency’ should just be a passive trait somewhere in the middle of the right-hand side of the Zealot tree.

Either that or just completely rename/rework the Aura into something else and go from there.

3 Likes

A constant 1.5 toughness per second aura would be acceptable I think.

“Fortitude of fellowship” is kind of like that. It regens your tougnes even if you have 1 coherency, last time i checked. Probably not as fast as loner, but still something. Combining two of them can actually give some decent regen, but don’t tell anyone.

I’m the same way, but thats not intentional or what I’m talking about,to be fair. I never intentionally stay away from my team anymore than I have to

2 skills that just crack me up, loner aura (run away from your team) and the veteran marksman skill, that asks you to stand still for stacks (let your team run away from you)

5 Likes

Sometimes things really do feel somewhat backwards and role-reversed for Zealot and Vet right now. I often find myself having to take care of ranged with my Grip shottie when the random Vet of the day has decided to have constant fits of zeal with their power sword. I don’t mind a bit of role switching every so often and praise the God-Emperor and all that, but there’s some missions where the gameplay dynamic just gets weird considering what the class roles and specialties are meant to be.

I might be in the minority here, but I always build my builds to do everything. I’m staying with the group and doing melee when melee enemies get to us and using ranged against ranged enemies

In other words, I’m not convinced each class has different roles. More so each one offers different ways to do them.

If you are pugging you have no chance. If you show up as single target damaged focus and the group has no horde clear you’re going to have a bad time. So building to cover as many bases as possible is usually best. If not flat out required by the circumstances.

2 Likes

They don’t. They’ve been clear from the outset that they want players picking a class and sticking with it. They’ve used the “roleplay” and “customisation” arguments to support this, but really what they mean is “we want people to get attached to their toons so they’ll buy skins”.

As a result, all classes are designed to be able to fill any role. The talent tree rework has just made it easier and more attractive to do so.

1 Like

ah I don’t exactly know if thoughness regen speed stacks additively or multiplicatively.
The point was more that even if you’re running everything to make it as good as possible, it’s still not good.

It’s the only aura that’s not actually an aura and that’s all that needs to be said about that.

The only reason I see competent players running it; if you don’t have a choice in getting any other aura because of point efficiency.

1 Like

Loner is a bad aura, and is only a point tax for sensible players. Even if the player has no intention of ever leaving team coherency, he can’t afford the cost of other auras (with certain builds.)

1 Like