Plasma Gun needs some love

I’d love for the Plasma Gun to do more damage on Heresy and up. I just don’t know if it’s actually warranted or not.

More damage with higher heat wouldnt help much. It already kills pretty much everything in a single hit. And if not, a charged hit does the job.
So this mechanic would only increase this “overkill problem”.

In Inquisitor Martyr and the Dawn of War Games the Plasma Gun had the ability to overcharge and fire an explosive Projectile. So yeah, i would love that here too.
Having two ways to vent heat is one too much. There is no need for the Venting if a Reload does the same, but safer.

Well its about speed isnt it. The special action allows you to vent a bit of heat so you can shoot again quickly if theres a situation that requires it. Reloading is slow already on the plasma gun so it gives you that option of venting quickly at the cost of health or venting slowly with no health cost.

I would love the alt fire to be a charged aoe though, itd help so much to let it compete better with the bolter. Cos the plasma gun is better at special killing than the bolter. Horde of mobs with a special in the middle? Thats fine the plasma will shoot through the horde and still kill the special lol. But the penetration alone isnt enough to help with lots of chaff mobs. So having a small aoe effect would be pretty awesome imo

I generally liked the ‘feel’ of the plasma gun when I used it. It felt big, weighty and powerful. I didn’t like ‘snap shotting’ was basically impossible (though tbf this was before the patch, and the lucius pattern rifle had the same problem and feels way better for tap shooting now so maybe plasma got that too). The reload was terrible, though tbf it did actually incentivise the reload perks so… ‘eh’?
Venting just felt miserable; the speed of cooling just didn’t feel worth the health loss, especially when you have very limited healing and that chip damage. It doesn’t feel that much faster than a reload either.

1 Like

My problem with the Plasma gun is that it doesn’t actually kill everything in a single charged hit. I would suggest

• buffing the first stage of charge to a point where it can comfortably kill Ogryns
  • adding a second level of charge that does splash damage
  • venting shouldn’t hurt you
1 Like

Use the charged shot (right click), with the ability up it does 1/4 boss health, and can 1 shot ogryns of all types on diff 4

The fact that uncharged blasts can’t one-shot shooters on a torso hit (with a 399 rating plasma gun on heresy and up) is a really bad joke and makes the gun entirely useless. With its completely awful ammo economy I expect it to at least perform at a level that justifies its (many and massive) downsides. Not sure what they were doing leaving it in this state…

In it’s current state, with low fire rate and overheating it can be remade as weapon with unlimited ammo. In that case it will worth use.

I think making the charged shot do something closer to 3.5x the damage of the normal shot would be nice. I think normal shots do more damage per ammo then the charged shot. Having more ammo and maybe bumping up the damage (10-20% ?) would be amazing. The thing barely outperforms most other guns in special killing and barely outdoes the bolter for most ogryn type enemies, while also lacking horde clear. Punching through bulwark shields would be nice too.