Outcast Engineer - Thx, Advices, Questions

With the twitch setting I posted I have seen it jumped many times in one mission. It is not so rare, when there are about 20 Ogres in 20 min. :smiley:

At last Iā€™ve completed all challenges on OE.
Targeting Array is definitely the worst. You have to do some insane cheesing or be an outstanding marksman to finish it. Iā€™ve spend hours sitting in that dirty corner behind the boxes on The Pit only to be sniped by the assassin afterwards.
However Iā€™ve spent even more time doing the roger thing. Doing it solo (Iā€™ve done everything solo) is just silly randomness. Iā€™ve spend about 4 hours+ in total. Sitting in the field just before the portal on Empire in Flames spawning stuff via twitch mod. Iā€™ve killed dozens upon dozens of rogers. Sometimes they just engage the bots and thatā€™s the end of that rogerā€¦
Once again, Iā€™m not the proponent of nerfs, but you can only do the OE ones with a team of dedicated players who want to help you, also you have to cheese it.
Thatā€™s bad.
GKā€™s achievements are much better - they are definitely not easy, but you can do almost each and every of them in regular runs.
Well, also I loved GK much better than OE, thatā€™s my bias, alrightā€¦

1 Like

Outcast Engineer challenges are honestly aweful. Like half of them are just go into Recruit and do a thing x times. Thereā€™s no fun in that. I think the best challenges are those that can be done in normal runs and donā€™t require lower difficulty runs.

The class istself is fun at first, but get stale fast. His gameplay is not very varied. Just gun down hordes like nobody else can until out of ammo, then reload or use your aweful melee. I know it sounds like every other class is also doing that, but for OE it seems exacerbated because heā€™s not really doing a lot of things beside that. I like GK much more. He is challenging because of lack of ranged, but also satisfyingly powerful and able to clutch, has a unique playstyle that can also be switched around very well with talent combinations.

2 Likes

I like his playstyle cause itā€™s centered around swapping weapons, and managing bombs.
Itā€™s quite well-balanced.
But I fully agree on achievements. They nearly impossible to do in regular QP runs.

1 Like

Agreed. I finally did all of them, but it was pain.

1 Like

The main problem I see is the challenges donā€™t fit the weapon in question. 20 headshots in a row would be tough but not totally unreasonable on fast firing accurate weapons like the handgun, crossbow or longbow, you could easily snipe ambients for that.

The alt fire challenge you can forget about doing with bots and honestly is cheesy even without them, either go for Halescourge, Nurgloth or maybe War Camp or Skittergate depending on if non-damaging hits count, but the spread is so wild with the alt fire you might even miss up close and you have no way of telling how many hits in you are/whether or not you messed up and reset the counter.

That one would honestly be a better challenge for a weapon like the bop or volley in alt fire mode (volley might be better since you still have to land the three bolts, on the bop itā€™d be too easy). Point stands either way, the challenges donā€™t fit the MPā€™s L/R firing mechanics. 5 headshots would be more reasonable for the left click one, for the right click perhaps a challenge like kill x elites in x seconds or under to go with it being fan the hammer man with no name style - e.g. kill 30 elites in under 60s with rapid fire or whatever.

If weā€™re speaking Stout Heart, Steady Aim, then I think itā€™s quite doable - you start a legend/cata run, meet a troll or other tough monster then hug it and pray that youā€™d be able to survive and not miss and not run out of ammo before you get the achievement. It is random, itā€™s tough you will fail a lot, but itā€™s not as random and unfair as seeing a jumping roger or landing 20 hs or hurling a bomb at the gunner from half a mapā€¦
My issue with those 3 is that they are essential to getting that achievement capstone. Iā€™d be totally fine if they were stand alone achievementsā€¦
Personally Iā€™d still be motivated to play OE every now and then to try to get them, now, having endured all of them I have had my fill of OE for a looong time.

1 Like

Two small tips:

• You can do the alt-fire on monsters on multiple subsequent different monsters as long as you donā€™t shoot the pistol inbetween. Non-damaging hits do count. Skittergate is a good map for this one. So for example: You hit a random Troll a few times times, then the Gatekeeper a few, and Deathrattler for the last ones, and you got it.

• When you crouch with the pistol and donā€™t move, it gets pinpoint accuracy. Good for sniping non-aggroā€™d random elites at a distance. If you have a Vanguard deed you got a chance.

1 Like

Itā€™s a nice advice, though it didnā€™t work for me. I exhausted my supply of vanguard maps I could reliably do (below legend) Iā€™ve been ā€œstockpilingā€ since launch. I just couldnā€™t do it. You get to 10-15 hits then, dammit, one of them flinchesā€¦

1 Like

Then just quit before you finish if you didnā€™t manage so you donā€™t lose the deed and you can try over?

I know that challenge is super hard, though. No idea what the very best way to do it isā€¦

2 Likes

Does crouching improve alt fire aim too? I didnā€™t think of that.

My point still stands, even if itā€™s not as unfair as those other ones, it still doesnā€™t fit the masterwork pistol mechanics. If this is how challenges are going to be going ahead I shanā€™t be buying the future cosmetics DLCs.

Anyone who plays solo with bots has to either kill them or forget it as they will get in the way.

For the HS one did you try shield bashing and then point blank headshots? e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iorxp9Rb5Y

I found this otherwise, havenā€™t tried it since Iā€™m not motivated to actively do the rest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tGWfiJzgSk

1 Like

I went for the cheese spot in The Pit. This method is definitely more honest than The Pit, however itā€™s also bordering on glitching. Frankly I didnā€™t pay attention that they always get bashed like thisā€¦ Well, you live, you learn!

Thatā€™s also a great advice, keep in mind tho, that if you play with bots theyā€™d probably keep wailing on roger till one of them dies and when you enter the portal the game ends in like 30 sec.

Okay so I got Stout Heart Steady Aim (crouched + point blank shot bosses in the butt) and managed to accidentally pick up Targeting Calibration while I did - decided to do hypertwitch with bots on Against the Grain this morning before I need to do any work. I still stand by the MP challenges not thematically/mechanically fitting the way the weapon works.

For the rat ogre leap I couldā€™ve probably gotten it too, with hypertwitch the rat ogre pairs jumped a fair bit - at least one would while the bots wailed on the other and kept it occupied. Rather random as to whether or not they jump though.

Hookrats were honestly the biggest problem, get a wave of those on hypertwitch and you have to clear them asap, at any cost. If even one gets you, you will wipe as the bots try to melee them and all get caught in turn.

@semn007 Doesnā€™t the end match countdown halt if nobody is inside the portal after it has started? I thought the survivors exiting aborts the countdownā€¦

You might be right here, Iā€™m not 100% sure on that one.

Leaving aside theme of really bad Challenges (terrible bad, more precisely), I want to join the ā€œthxā€ part of this topic. What I liked the most about OE DLC:

1. How the talent ā€˜Gromril-Plated Shotā€™ changes the model of the Steam-Assisted Crank Gun (Mk.II).

Itā€™s truly nice! I use this talent only because of this. Iā€™m impressed, and I want as many talents as possible in the game to have some affection on characters or weapons models.

For example, the talent ā€˜Bombardierā€™ modified normal bombs into Real Dwarf Grenades.

Or Seratted Shots, really make arrow jagged when inspecting a weapon.

1. Purple + Bronze skin for Outcast Engineer. Itā€™s just Perfect.

Although this is a skin in the colors of Barak Varr, in my personal roleplay I count as it to be a Barak-Nar uniform.

And in general, I want re-colouring skins in this color scheme for all careers in the game, as minimum - for two remaining Bardinā€™s carriers

3 Likes

For cosmetics, I want just two things: Glowing runes for Crank Gun and that ā€œredā€ skin from CW to Trollhammer Torpedo in normal game.

People saying Engineer is weak? I think Slayer is the weakest career among his careers.

His melee ability is not that great, but itā€™s same with the other ranged class which means itā€™s not that bad. Itā€™s enough to survive.

He got 10% ranged power buff which you can get breakpoint easier, and your teammates got great buff too, and if your teammates protects you, and you positioned well, you can holding hordes easily with gatling gun.

With Leading shots (Every 4 ranged hits guaranteed 1 crit), his gatling dps is really good to kill boss, if you carry pistol or trollhammer, it would be easier (but you almost give up to kill specials).

Gatling crit even works to armored enemy, you can kill SV with gatling too, though it takes some time.

Ranger doesnā€™t have choice to have any other weapon but pistol for boss killing, he canā€™t do any other parts exclusively better than the other characters, and engineer. (killing horde, slaying elites, and sniping specials)

Axes .-) :smiley:

2 Likes

Slayerā€™s an engine of destruction when played well and heĀ“s much less team reliant than engi, iĀ“d say heĀ“s likely to be the 2nd strongest in very skilled hands with ranger taking the lead. (Engi has the best DPS when safe though)

Slayer perks are :

• Access to good weapons with some of the highest melee boss dps in the game that can do other stuff too (DA&GA)
  • Horde control with jump spam
  • Mobility
  • Stronger offensively than grail knight

Cons would be the lack of ranged and weaker defense the lack of shield to use in a pinch, especially when dealing with Ratling gunners.

3 Likes

Overall performance I believe He is weaker than GK. I played Slayer and GK in Cata FOW, moded realm (Deathwish onslaught), and Cata twitch mode.

GKā€™s popular weapon combination these days is M&S and execution sword, M&S gives him mobility (dodge distance, count, with his 10% movement speed), and powerful horde slashing ability which is lesser than Slayerā€™s, but with his talent and passive, devastated powerful.

Gk got far less survival power than Slayer, but itā€™s enough to survive, if a player donā€™t keep GK alive, then itā€™s almost impossible to play normal Ranged careers, so itā€™s about skill.

In higher difficulty, I believe real threat is elites + disabler, and boss with horde (worst is plus elites + disabler), of course there will be horde too, it means thereā€™s no chance to keep hitting boss, so you need to burst dealing, Slayer got fairly good melee dps to monsters but he doesnā€™t have time to deal it, it would be more efficient to keep hordes away from your team (You know thereā€™s always horde). GKā€™s burst dealing to boss is far more stronger and useful in this case, and he can fall monster off with teamwork.

Another big threat is hookrat, or assassins between elites, so you canā€™t tag them properly. If situation is hard to dodge disabler, Slayer canā€™t fix the problem, just jump away and has another chance, GK can kill it with ult easily which is extremely useful you are playing FOW.

I think I donā€™t need to tell how GKs passive helps team a lot and his yellow potion makes him stronger, and even his team too.

1 Like