Off-Topic Fridays: Let's Talk Hobbies

I’ve really taken to weight lifting this year which is still somewhat unconventional for women, likely due to the common misconception that women who lift will become the lady equivalent of Arnie which isn’t the case (nor easy to do)! There are many benefits, both physical and mental and I only wish I’d taken it up sooner.

Edit: Oh, also (Hedge has reminded me) cars! Love, love, love German cars specifically Audis (shame about the stereotype - I use my indicators, I promise).

So other than playing Vermintide 2 of course, what are your hobbies? Let’s keep it SFW :stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes

Gaming in general. Board games, RPGs, electronic… I’m also been known to take part in some actual team sports occasionally, and I have a general interest in all kinds of martial arts. Unfortunately, only the gaming part is “active” right now, though.

Okay, I’ve actually also spent way too much time watching Youtube videos during the summer, but I don’t consider that a hobby really.

9 Likes

So we can or can’t expect you to be telling us to ‘get to the choppa’ eventually?

As for me, I don’t have much time along with uni and practicals atm, but also weight training (although that’s more health-related to me). Previously I did sabre fencing (and before that martial arts and tennis), around here there aren’t many places that do sabre unfortunately.

Otherwise hiking, travel (millennial stereotype) and cooking. And drinking.

8 Likes

Playing vidya games for the most part (currently trying to break the back of Dauntless after many recommendations, still not sure if it is for me…)

Other than that, not much. I just picked up swimming again recently, and I do enjoy doing bits and boobs bobs on my car but at present I don’t really have the place to work on it (such as a garage or driveway).

edit: fixed typo. D:

9 Likes

I am big in to freshwater fishing and I also hike a lot as well, this weekend I’m off fly fishing at the cottage, boating and kayaking as well and skeet shooting from time to time.

Generally anything out doors I’m a fan of.

9 Likes

tfw when the Community Manager is the one to break the no-NSFW hobbies rule, huh Hedge? :wink:

What model is it?

7 Likes

That’s fantastic, I would definitely recommend adding yoga to your routine (if you’re aren’t already) as I’ve found the two disciplines work extremely well together. :slight_smile:

I’m mostly just trying to improve my drawing and trying some new crafting stuff lately like woodworking and carving. Even trying to get into some light writing (fiction) lately.

6 Likes

Funnily enough I’ve recently started! Still not quite sure if I’m doing it ‘right’ but I haven’t injured myself yet so… :smiley:

7 Likes

Right now, I’m trying to step out of my comfort zone and move from traditional drawing to digital.
Also archery, however I didn’t get to practice this year as much as I would’ve liked. Mainly due to the unbearable tropical weather and laziness xD

Here’s a pic of my gril :3

9 Likes

Hailing from Canada near the Rocky mountains I’ve grown up with a deep appreciation for winter and the outdoors, snowboarding is a passion outside of office hours for me.

11 Likes

Rocky Mountains for the win! I’m USA, but I don’t quite fit the bill for being outdoors-y. Too much of a nerd to leave the house much…

I play way too much D&D and my hobbies around it are purchasing/painting miniatures (who doesn’t love a good miniature?), crafting terrain, and cooking. Every so often I try to make 1 or 2 sessions as immersive as possible, serving food/drink to meet the occasion! My personal favorites to make at home are stir-fries, Cajun gumbo, sushi, steaks, and curry.

History is another big one; I love studying political trends, fashion, weapons/armor, and foods! I love learning about it and love crafting D&D based on it.

Edit: I feel like I bring up D&D every time I respond to a Friday post so I’ll just stop adding it and see if there’s actually other content in my life.

11 Likes

6 Likes

I write, both as a hobby and hopefully soon as a career, of course play vidya games, but I also love to cook and bake! I bake about four loaves of bread a week, and my cookies are famous - I send them out to friends and family around Christmas.

My next big project that I will be tackling in just a few days - making my own NY-style pizza! 8) My family is from there, and my mother in particular deeply misses what she considers to be real pizza, haha. Literally just got my pizza peel today.

7 Likes

Well, there goes most of my hobbies…

I just came to the realisation that I don’t really have that many hobbies besides V2, dank memes and DnD. Wait, does alcohol count? Cause I like to sit off every 2 weeks and have a few while blasting some music.

I suppose meeting people is a hobby? I’m very active on a lot of discords/communities and tend to be very social. I try and organise meet ups with people from around the world. It use to just be old FFXIV and maplestory friends. But lately I’ve been meeting up with randoms from various warhammer communities and other games. Good times, drunken 2am shenanigans in Stockholm and various other places. That’s one thing I love about Europe, so cheap to travel to different countries.

I use to hit the range a lot, perks of army life. But unfortunately I don’t get to shoot any more, cause I’m living in Sweden. When I’m back in Bermuda, I’ll always swing by my old regiment and do a bit of target practice. I’ve tried finding a club here in Sweden but all the pistol clubs seem to be based around Olympic style shooting, not really my cup of tea. My mate in Gävle has invited me to his rifle club, maybe that will be the one.

Also, we need a before and after pic Julia. Let’s see them gains.

9 Likes

Ah, shooting is fun! I wish I could do that more often, but despite living in a place where they should be everywhere, there’s none within reach of me.

5 Likes

Shouthouts to ya all shooting enthusiasts. Last year I finally bough a rifle I’ve always wanted: Lee-Enfield No.4 Mk 2 (matching SN, just missing the bayonet :frowning: ). Have to admit though, didn’t get to shoot it very much yet. Shooting ranges around here are either ridiculously expensive or do not allow rifles.

Have been thinking about DnD as well (always wanted to try it) but sadly I know only one or two of my friend who would want to try it as well, and none of us have any experience with it. Don’t know where or how to start really.

7 Likes

If you already have one or two friends, that can already be a group - there’s no real need for more players usually. Just get a set of rules (DnD is one set, but a lot of others are available even for free, and arguably better) and whatever RNG the system needs and you’re pretty much ready to go. I could probably do a long rant about possible systems and advice, but I’ll leave it out for now… But yeah, the only way to really get started is to start. Get rules, get dice, get your friends together. Either read the rules alone beforehand (quite recommended anyway) or just start looking at them together. Whoever has the best story idea can be the GM, and even that isn’t necessarily set in stone.

9 Likes

Ah, nice, that’s a venerable rifle! I’ve got a 1930s-vintange Mosin-Nagant, myself. :slight_smile: But yeah, finding a place you can shoot that big honkin’ rifle can be a bit hard, especially since so much of the ammo you can find is steel core.

Besides DnD, you could always try the Warhammer Fantasy RPG! I really hope to run a game of that, myself, soon. I ran a Little Fears game for a friend a few years back, but just recently did my first DnD game - I played a Ratfolk I based on a Skaven Grey Seer that I named Erhig. :smiley:

9 Likes

Wow. That is a really nice R50 hedge!

My current hobbies are videogames, models(mainly engines and miniatures) and I am a life time European car technician . Technically that last one is also my career.

Current project is a 1999 VW Passat(B5). It has the 2.8l 30 valve V6. Which is now supercharged.

6 Likes

Is sleeping considered a Hobbie?

7 Likes