NO RESPITE! (and that kinda sucks)

Hi,

Summery: From Malice and up, there really is too little respite. When elites keep pouring into the scene, and waves keep crashing on the shores of our blades, the game will get boring really quickly.

Context: In Vermintide 2, I think there is a perfect balance between intense moments and moments or respite. During the quieter moments, characters often started to banter. We players could use these moments to calm down, listen to our characters talk, or have a little chat ourselves (“We’re doing good, let’s keep it up, chasp!”). I miss those moments of rest in Darktide terribly.

Rant: I’ve been playing the POB since day 1 and have almost 90 hours in it by now. The game is AMAZING! However, when I stop I’m edgy as hell and I just can’t sleep for hours after which is exactly the same feeling I have after playing Overwatch. I hate it. It took me a long while to figure out why this was: While I was on Discord with a friend while we were both playing Darktide and were both kinda pissed off semi-enjoying it, it suddenly clicked for me and I voiced it out loud. “The problem with this game, mate, is that the goddamn waves and spawning of elites just never stops!” And he immediately agreed.

Conclusion: I’m not saying the game is too hard. I’m not saying the game is bad. I’m saying the game could be better if the algorithm allows us to sometimes just have a moment – like half a minute! – of peace and quiet. In this way, moments of respite make us enjoy the extremely tense moments more; make us enjoy the nice variety of elites more and the pleasure of mowing down waves.

Food for thought, Fatshark. I really hope you’re listening.

6 Likes

It feels like the only time you have that respite is in an elevator. Nice elevator, but really hard to take in the details for the rest of the map.

difficulty 4 maps are currently bugged and always be with “hordes” modifier. u can check by pressing tab ingame.

malice seems to be quite reasonable in pacing to me…

3 Likes

Yeah I imagine when this is fixed I’ll feel unkillable on difficulty 4 lmao.

Until you have two bursters jump into the elevator 3 seconds after you hit the ground floor. Party Wipe.
We cried. We laughed. We realized one of us needed to nut up and get out first to eat the explosions.

Live and learn.

1 Like

Meh…

While I truly entertain the optimism, I’m sure this’ll be an issue unless it’s addressed.

I can play hours on end. This is a problem. I can bleed dry a game within days, this way. However, this also makes me a very good and invaluable beta-tester. And let me tell you: 90 hours of Darktide is beginning to make me tired of it, which means the game will prolly be bled dry by the “average gamer” in about 1 to 2 months.

Again, I have 400+ hours in Vermintide 2, and I am a young father! 400+ hours is a LOT! I can tell Fatshark exactly why this is, and it’s stated above.

1.) Specials (elites) should always feel special
2.) Waves should always feel as a gleeful surprise that COULD go wrong

That’s it. If rule 1 and rule 2 are sacred, not much else needs balancing IMO.