My humble opinion

Preferences for Space Marines and the like aside…5 matches is plenty of time to know if you like the gameplay.

The combat either grips you or it doesn’t.

But clearly the core gameplay is not the reason you don’t like the game, because it has improved from VT2 in many (not all) respects.

If the core gameplay isn’t what gets you to play, then you might just have to check out on this one. Wait for September 9th.

2 Likes

I don’t agree with your analogy here. That’s just about theme, which is secondary to gameplay.

An RPG or RTS game with SM is not the same as an FPS with SM. they are completely different types of game.

If I want a really good FPS featuring SM, then 2000 SM themed NON-FPS games could be released and I’d still not be satisfied because it’s the gameplay with SM theme that I am after.

Having a fantastic SM or Xeno themed DT game wouldn’t suddenly make DT disappear. They can live side by side.

I actually find the Imperial forces pretty damn boring and having absolutely everything in DT revolve around them with zero faction variety is a total shame given the immensly fun gameplay (which would be ideal for SM and powerful faction forces given that thousands of enemies get slain each round).

1 Like

I hope you do! :slight_smile:

It’s now the game I’ve spent most time playing, at > 1000 hours. 1200 to be precise, but I’d estimate 200 in loading screens and the shop :stuck_out_tongue: .

I’m not in to Warhammer at all. I don’t care for it one jot. But the combat is hugely addictive, varied, and nuanced, and if you can bring yourself to give it some more time, once you get past the styling (if that’s not your thing) then the combination of melee and ranged combat I think is pretty unique outside of the other 'tide games.

But I do get it if a game doesn’t grab you. I’ve 3.7 hours in Elden Ring, having tried twice to like it and failing both times. Classic game no doubt. Thousands of positive reviews. I detest it.

1 Like

But is FS going to be able to support 4+ projects (VT2; DT; unnamed; SM Tide). They are only 180 peoples, and even if they’re able to support a 4th project, I would prefer them to not do SM and instead do something else than 40k (either fantasy or own ip), but if they continued with GW, I’d prefer to see something more varied than SM could offer.

2 Likes

I’m greedy so the game I’d want has lots of factions in it, perhaps all playable!

Battlefield 2 with 40k factions :ok_hand:

I understand people’s fatigue with SM but I just want a really good FPS with them and I’d be happy. There are enough RTS, card, top down, 3ps style games with them I agree.

1 Like

Ah learning realistic game scope is a saddening fact, Battlefield is quite ill suited for a 40k game, as they use mirrored armies.

Better choices could be Rising Storm (Vietnam), or Planet Side (though the factions are more so mirrored there)

2 Likes

Five missions at the start isn’t really giving this game a proper chance. Move up the difficulty and see if it changes your opinion. Level 1 difficulty has very few enemies.

3 Likes

man i’m tired of every single co-op shooter being called “left 4 dead” this isn’t remotely close to that gameplay, you don’t even have in-map weapon pickups.

1 Like

In principle I would agree with you (blah blah the DARK SOULS of X GENRE), but this series (to the casual player) certainly borrows more from L4D than other titles with that tag slapped on them.

I would contend the Tide series is a natural evolution of what Valve popularized with the HUD, AI director, consumables, and horde gameplay. Valve could have easily gone in a similar direction if they knew how to count to 3.

At least at face-value.

Also one or two weapon pickups mid-level isn’t exactly what I would call a massive game-defining feature.

Although it would be rad as hell if we could pick up limited-ammo power weapons mid match. The ogryn needs more dakka.

1 Like

It’s not every single co-op shooter, it’s every single co-op horde-shooter, but yes, valid point… apart from nearly every element being similar (4 players, AI driven director spawning waves of enemies in conjunction with specialized enemies to hamper players, maps and objectives remaining static through each session), this one element does indeed diverge. I’m being a little facetious, but the parts that matter are all similar.

1 Like

I agree here. But some people love self inserts/role playing. I get the appeal… but it’s not for me. I prefer a curated character I play as specifically. I guess you could have both. Similar to Baldurs gate 3’s “origin” characters vs customer characters.

So do you find the game boring because you are just a regular human (or human like) character? Do you want a power fantasy?

I don’t find darktide boring. Especially when playing Auric. The idea that I can be killed off with one disabler when surrounded is an adrenaline rush.

4 Likes

the gameplay is much more leaning towards borderlands, with character builds, weapon stats and special ablities to combine into a playstyle. left 4 dead is very much a focus on managing limited ammuniton while darktide and borderlands are about spraying wildly into increasingly spongey enemies. the central difference is that borderlands is an RPG and darktide is an action shooter.

3 Likes

1 Like

Oh I didn’t reply here yesterday. Huh. Guess I just read the whole thing to my buddy and closed the page.

AAAnyway, funny as hell post URKA! Love it!

I personally wouldn’t play this game if it was Space Marine focused, the only reason I’m here is because I can be a Guardsman in the 41st millenium.

You try to take that away from me, and I’ll literally shoot you with my lasgun.

Nothing special in the gameplay.

Shoot shoot, cut cut.

I can find it in many other games.

I just gave my opinion, not fully developed.

I also feel the skins, weapons and missions boring.

Is not only about SM. I liked playing TAU Firewarrior (even if it was a horrible game).

If Fatshark makes a game about Warhammer Fantasy, with only humans, I would say… “Man… gimme elves and dwarves”.

I come from tabletop gaming, and I really enjoy it Vermintide 2, Darktide not so much.

But I see some people having respect, other ones crying and accusing me of crying.

You don’t like people to have space marine, eldar, guardman, psych and sister of battle togheter?

You want an excuse? They are in a planet, fighting eldars vs empire, and suddenly chaos/tyranids/orks invade planet. They start fighing togheter.

This is my last comment.

God bless you all.

PS: Original comment was for Fatshark actually.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.