Map selection feedback: I'm tired of not being able to pick the missions I want at a difficulty I want

Yes, this frustrated me and my friends today. Oh, new maps! But only available at the lowest or highest difficulty. Guess we’ll replay the same maps again and again and again and just hope we get a chance to try out some new scenery.

Definitely feels like padding. A lot of this game’s design decisions seem like padding.

RNG to prolong progression at the cost of player choice and agency. RNG to get the most playtime out of the relatively low pool of maps. Missions that involve going through the same area as another mission, just through a different route. (Though that is mostly fine; it’s clever reuse of assets, but noticeable due to the mission board RNG.)

There are barely any weapons. But supposedly 70 - due to variants, haha. Because there are several types of the same Lasgun and several types of Autogun. Many essentials missing. And the RNG is applied to all of these weapons in the form of random stats, power level, perks, and modifiers. A quick way to bloat it all, create a false sense of depth.

1 Like

Warzone condition has updated and the espionage mission has rotated in, but not the investigation one. I just want to play that particular mission, why do you have to lock it out for 12+ hours to an entire day?

1 Like

100% - I really, really hope they’re holding out on some MAJOR game elements from the beta and giving it to us on release. Because right now I’m like, 28 on Zealot and am already pretty bored due to the repetitiveness, low mission pools, RNG. Kinda just want to go back to chaos wastes on VT2.

1 Like

I originally thought that the low mission pool was just because there was only a few available due to beta. But now that there’s like, ~8 and yet we only see 4 at a given time during a play session?

Why? This is honestly killing my enjoyment of the game. Every time I load it up with buds I gotta hope that missions available are ones that we’re interested in playing. And even then, we play the 4ish missions. Now what? Play them again and again? Who thought that would be fun?

1 Like

GUID: 96b85ed8-44de-4b59-aa26-51b6faacec80
Log File:
Info Type:

So it was confirmed by Hedge today on the discord that this is the case for full release. I was really hoping that this was just a beta thing to force players to play maps on rotation to identify/iron out issues.

But on full release? That’s just unacceptable. We paid for a game, why can’t we pick what maps we want to play on what difficulty? I was legit not having much of a good time during the beta because I was always forced to play the same maps over and over and that sucked out a lot of fun. This is going to be a big issue long-term imo

2 Likes

I made comment on another post about the same issue but ill post it here also:

There are currently lots of problems with the game

• The RNG shop that forces players to wait 1 hour per try at a weapon that isnt even guaranteed to appear
  • The new MTX shop that is so predatory that it is resembling a mobile game
  • The crafting system isnt even full working at launch
  • Countless bugs with weapons, feats, talents, etc

But this mission terminal takes the cake I think, its the single most important issue that needs to be addressed for the longevity of the game and player retention. Not being able to play the mission you want, when you want is actually so bad and will turn players away. This ties into the issues with weeklies making them feel even worse and harder to complete because the mission you might need to play to do your challenges might not even be there.
The mission terminal should allow us to

1. Pick the mission we want to select
  2. Change the difficulty of said mission
  3. Allow us to select if we want the scriptures or grims, or whichever else secondary missions applied to it

You have already set up a mission select map just like this and allowed for these suggestions remember!

At the very least allow us to change the difficulty on said mission that might appear because that is the biggest issue.

4 Likes

Why would anyone not want to play with Endless horde or Blackout for 5 consecutive QP missions, with zero options to have another modifier for 12 hours straight ? /s :person_facepalming:
Congrats on making VT2’s lobby search function looking like hot stuff right now in 2022

At this point, I just log in, check Melk’s shop, and if I don’t find anything to spend my Melkbucks on, I just leave to check again the next day.

1 Like

It is absolutely baffling that they released the game without private lobbies and a custom mission select menu.

1 Like

Yea. I hope they add quickplay like VT, just pick your difficulty and it can be any map!

As things are now…I usually stop playing for a few hours if they map variety is not what I’m interested in. But I see this as a good way for me not to burn out and do other things.

I can 2nd that. Give us the modifiers and missions screen the same (for now), but when we select the mission we can curtail the difficulty to our group’s enjoyment.

They really should do it like Payday 2. Theres they’re funky ever changing map with mods and stuff. But then you can just pull open a list and choose whatever the heck you want if need be.

2 Likes

My friends and I have not played this Enclavum map - we’d love to give it a try. But we play on Malice/Heresy, level 1 maps are very dull and boring for us. So we’re not going to play it - and instead do a mission that we’ve done 50 times by now because that’s just what’s available.

Why is the content of this game being held back from us? This is getting so frustrating

1 Like

I absolutely agree. What kept me playing V2 for a long time was the achievements/tasks or penances as we know it now. I could choose my maps freely and people were encouraged to quick join into my game with matchmaking for increased rewards.

I loved tracking my penances and being able to see what difficulty have I bested all maps on. In Darktide you can’t see all maps, you can’t see what maps you’re missing for penances and you can’t event host your own investigation map to finally get the hat you want. I miss collecting map icon frames for all the maps.

Pic related.

2 Likes

yeah, this seems like such the obvious solution. Make me WANT to look at what’s up on the mission board - unique events, map modification combinations, etc. That way if there’s something that looks good I can call up my friends and ask if they want to play this map.

Make them dailies - specifically catered and interesting. Have them give unique rewards - weapons, more XP/Money. Crafting materials. Maybe include some MelkQuests for doing a # of these specialty missions a week. Again, make me WANT to look at it.

But then, have it so we can just play maps/difficulties on our own time if nothing that interests us pops up.

1 Like

I agree.

I’ve seen a lot of people argue against being able to pick your map because it “encourages farming and speedrunning”…and I don’t see how that’s a valid argument. Okay, so people who want to farm will be able to farm. People who want to play a certain map will also be able to play a certain map.

TLDR: People who paid for a game will be able to play it how they want. Yes, terrible. Guess what is terrible? Being forced to play the same 5 maps out of the 10+ because RNG decided this is the way over the last 3 days. I haven’t even been playing the game all that much and I’m already getting tired of it.

5 Likes

People will speedrun regardless if you can select mission or not. They’re already on it hunting assassination 2-4 missions. It makes sense that people who paid for the game should be able to play it the way they want. I cannot believe how many things Darktide got wrong when everything was there in V2

2 Likes

INB4 they tweak the assassination missions before actually making the map selection better

To compound this issue, there’s also no way whatsoever to tally what mission you’ve completed on any given difficulty.

1 Like

I think this is probably the logic behind why they’re time-gating the missions - to help pad out the penances in order to make them feel like an actual “challenge”

But imo this is just backwards and anti-consumer. They’re just withholding content and forcing players to wait to access it - a game that we paid for.

That, or they saw that other games like DRG or Payday did random maps and decided to include them, without really spending the time considering WHY those worked and why it doesn’t here.