Let me Fight in the Dark... Plz

Heya, everyone, it’s an honor to be back. Having been away from the forums for years I feel a bit out-of-place but I hope everyone is well. I’ve come to chat about some Darktide nonsense. More likely than not there’s a topic on this and I apologize if I didn’t find it.

I think gameplay of Darktide is my favorite game of all-time. In particular, there’s a modifier I am desperately in love with and will cause me to play missions that I don’t normally want to play; Lights Out. If this modifier is live I will be grinding back-to-back missions all day and night waiting for the next one to appear. It’s amazing.

I’ve played a total of 6 dark missions over 4 Lights Out events. Last night, I played for 4 hours with the event live. I saw 2 missions with the Lights Out modifier; both were difficulty 2, both times I was waiting on friends, and both times it was gone before they got online. I never got to play.

Anyone notice how the event is active and not a single mission has the lights out? Turns out it’s max 1 mission and that mission is only ever difficulty 2.

I know there’s not a perfect way to please everyone (namely the players, the other players, more of the players, and then the game designers) and I know this isn’t the most important thing to think of but I want it to be known that the mission modifiers are things I want and don’t have. Increased/decreased intensity is practically a default at this point… but please let me play Lights Out. Please. Please just make it something I can select. Please just let me play fun game modes. Please. “Limited Accessibility” does not increase the value of the missions, it makes me increasingly pissed that I don’t get to play them. I haven’t played Lights Out in… a month?

I’m a die-hard FatShark player. My friends and I love this game. It plays like wading through spoiled custard whenever we’re not actively in a mission but while we’re in it we’re having a great time. Please let me play Lights Out. I’m tired of playing Lighttide with my max level characters who have nothing to earn and nothing interesting to do. This does not mean I want more levels for my character or more traits; do not even suggest that as a replacement. I want interesting activities to take part in and Lights Out is da best.

Love you, FS, and I hope everyone is well.

Edit: Increasing the mission count on the board by 5-8 and letting more of them have modifiers would be a great stop-gap. I don’t think it’s a good long-term solution but it would preserve the design of “the missions on the board are the issues the MourningStar needs addressed” and fits with the story-telling aspect better. Sorry I’m struggling to suspend disbelief but I don’t think it’s as important as keeping me engaged with the game itself.

3 Likes

Part of my frustration is the most interesting content map wise is stuck behind RNG and it doesn’t cycle nearly fast enough or have enough choices to make up for it.

There was 1 difficulty 5 lights out last night but working on a character that was No so well geared with a friend I really didn’t want to touch it. Then there was nothing for several hours.

Honestly that’s the big problem with the system as well. We know there aren’t a ton of maps in the game but it still will do this thing where it will repeat the same map with the same difficulty and same secondary.

“What’s that rejects, you don’t want to play toxin refinery for the 4th time tonight? Well you’re going to play it if you want to finish that 25 scriptures mission bucko!”

On top of that working towards any “do X missions on y difficulty” penance is painful because often you will get 2 5s and one will be a mission you already did and the other will be a high intensity with grims which I don’t want to do at times if pub teams are iffy.

I just can’t wrap my head around how they thought this system wouldn’t end up egregiously annoying.

1 Like

I have ranted and raved about this several times. I don’t get it. There should be 4 “Special Conditions” and they should rotate out several times per day. 1)High/Low Intensity 2)Ventilation Purge 3)Power Outtage 4)Hounds.

Don’t get me wrong, I aint missin the Hounds, but I haven’t seen Vent Purge since the first day it was implemented, I’ve seen Power Outtage a few times but always on missions I don’t want to run, and even the Hounds which went on for weeks, is now completely absent.

I’d also love if they:

• removed the “gosh it’s dark here” voice overs from the start of that one mission.
  • …you know, that mission where the lights are definitely on, and the voiceovers talk about the darkness literally as you walk through a super bright floodlamp? Yeah. That mission.
  • added those voiceovers to play at the start of Actually Dark missions.

Not that it’s relevant but I played another 4 hours in a single not with that global condition active and never saw a Lights Out mission. Damn shame.

This is pretty wild. Lookin’ real spiffy. One map with lights out, difficulty 5, map got replaced by another without the modifier.

I check in about twice a week and still haven’t seen a difficulty 3 or 4 lights out modifier. I know they’ve been there but I’ve either been living a life outside of this game or not booting it up because I don’t want to play the same thing I have been for 2 months knowing I won’t get a modifier that is interesting.