It’s been such a long time since the Ironhelm was worth using, I’m interested in trying it out again after the new buffs.
Now that the new patch has been out for a few days, I’m curious what everyone’s thoughts are on the Ironhelm thunder hammer. How do you think it compares to the Crucis now? Does it seem like a legitimate side-grade, or does it still seem inferior? What perks and blessings do you think are most effective on it?
It is a fun weapon if you are into fun movesets. Its got good stagger and still kills elites in 1 hit.
For some build suggestions, start by picking martyrdom or IJ (piety can also work). FotF feels best but stealth is also fine (I dont really care about gold toughness). With stealth, you can 1shot some Havoc bosses even though its not crucis. Decide whether you want Unfaltering (full movespeed while charging heavy attacks). You can take the traditional thrust + headtaker, or with the latest update you can also go headtaker+slaughterer or skullcrusher+your choice of impact blessing.
Thats it really.
- Push attack often, use the new push → light chain.
- Abuse the special activation cleave mechanic — drag your mouse as your hammer swings horizontally. Stagger as many enemies as you can (even the ones behind you) and aim to kill the elite hiding in the pack.
As an aside, charged heavies will cleave through Dreg captains and not deal full damage. This bug has been there since day 1 and to this day STILL has not been fixed.
Thanks for the detailed reply.
I’m not a fan of martyrdom and have been using IJ for a while now. I always take Unfaltering because it makes me feel much more mobile combined with IJ. I don’t really have any interest in building for boss 1-shots, I would rather my TH be better for general purpose and elite sniping.
Headtaker is a given for me. I’ve been trying to figure out if Thrust is still worth taking on Ironhelm, or if it makes more sense now to take Slaughterer instead. Basically an extra 40% damage dependent on kills, or an extra 37.5% damage dependent on fully charged heavy attacks.
What do you think about Headtaker + Skullcrusher? Does Skullcrusher really need an impact blessing to make it worth taking, or do you think the Ironhelm has enough inherent stagger to make Skullcrusher work well without an impact blessing?
What do you like in terms of perks?