Force and Chain Weapons Feel Weird

Hi there. I guess the point was already made by others but I didn’t feel like scrolling so here you go.

I would just like to make the argument that now all rev and force weapons simply feel grotesque on both lore and gameplay perspective.

Starting with the power sword, I just don’t see why anyone would want to use it unpowered. Please correct me if I’m wrong but I never learned about any occurrence in the lore of anyone bringing and using an unpowered power sword on the battlefield… And it’s valid as well in game. If you want to be effective you are locked in that rotation of sword activation, hit a few times, sword activation again, hit a few times… This activation phase doesn’t even balance out the strength of the weapon by making you especially exposed. You just have to do it during a small dodge, weave in a few push and light attacks for crowd control… Using this weapon just feels silly and out of place and I think it’s unjustified. I’m pretty sure that in the wh40k universe power weapons can stay on for the duration of a battle… Why don’t just make this weapon be on and glow nicely all the time, balance it across the board to be a nice horde clearing tool with okay single target potential as long as you are consistent with your headshots, good armor piercing but generally bad at parrying, running and dodging?

With the rev weapons my point is pretty much the same… Make it just look on and angry and rev-y all the time. Alternate attack should not be that weird power up animation (why am I powering up my chainsword? Wasn’t it on all this time?! Am I so stoopid that I’ve been purging all those heretics with an unpowered chainsword?), just make the alternate attack directly go in an evicerating swipe (for the swords) or overhead (for the axe) that grinds and gets stuck into one target.

And then again for the power hammer. I was super excited to use it then felt immensely silly when my character was swiping left and right with that unpowered maul. Just a piece of metal stuck on a stick. Make the damn thing glow and look angry and make dead enemies disintegrate in a mist of blood. It’s not like Grimaldus has to turn on his Crozius before every darn strike nor finds interest in using it unpowered so why should I with my hammer? Just remove the turn on animation and replace it with a kickass heavy overhead that basically does the same job as the powered strike currently does.

Well anyway. Nice game. Will keep being a whale on this one.
Kind regards

6 Likes