Dev Blog: Into the Maelstrom

well we have been here before with communities united around things and its proven to be disastrous , people that are so into the crafting that its preventing them playing right now , are they actually going to be interested in playing once the crafting is complete?

the game isnt motivating them crafting is if they open the locks its the same as removing the system there will no longer be anything to work towards you will just end up with an equal or greater group complaining they just removed the endgame and now theres nothing to work towards.

2 Likes

Thinking about it now, there have been ongoing discussions about how to fix crafting, by the community since january and even before that.
The linked post was made on march 31st.
Now it is 4 months later (which should have been enough time to fix absolutely everything regarding the crafting system) and all we got is “Basically, we changed nothing, but the locks can now apply in slightly different way.”

6 Likes

The thing that continues to bug me is that, well, this entire weapon system didn’t need this RNG. It would’ve been logistically simpler to just go ‘here’s a weapons stats, here’s the perks and blessings for said stats, modify it how you want’. The entire mess with RNG weapon stats, RNG perks, RNG blessings…it’s pointless. It makes the game less fun. If you’re going to make something RNG, you need a constant stream of new weapons and constant upgrades and drops, a la borderlands, to make it so you don’t despise the system.

4 Likes

Agreed. And Fatshark hasn’t been able to actually get any content out on a regular enough schedule.

I think Fatshark made the classic GaaS mistake: not having the flexibility, numbers, or organizational acumen to make content quickly enough for a model which demands consistent regular input.

Darktide is gonna be their last game.

They could have RNG even, if only there was some quest system, like with Melk’s shop but for Hadron. Like find some relics on maps, scan them and bring info to Hadron, ~n relics data logs to remove lock.

2 Likes

dieblo 2: Shared warehouse and bank under the same account

outriders : Liberalizing perk option

blood 4 dead :Liberalizing skill selection

aliens: Fireteam Elite : Use a skill to its maximum advantage through multiple passive skill combinations (cooldown, damage, duration, coverage, healing, summoning…)

Deep_Rock_Galactic:Weapon values can be changed through multiple weapon modules, and the values of the modules and weapons themselves are fixed, which makes it easy to adjust the balance of weapons, characters, and skills

14 Likes

The other crafting idea that could’ve made sense is that when you change something, the new thing is what gets locked. So you have total freedom to build a weapon to spec, but then it’s locked fully and if you want a different version you have to start with a new base item. That would’ve been a way to encourage players to keep grinding and collecting and crafting, but would still let you make a distinct build if you want.

Ultimately, I don’t think Fatshark understands and/or values the notion of theory-crafting and testing out different builds and thus they don’t understand why player’s would want that.

I’ve said it before, but Payday 2 has an entire sub-reddit dedicated to build crafting and sharing builds. The best darktide gets are people posting item pics. There’s very little actual “build discussions” happening because it’s effectively impossible to test out each other’s ideas/suggestions.

11 Likes

lip smacks “You have a wonderful kitchen cos!”

Love what I’m hearing, keep it coming.

1 Like

Ehh… screw it, im out.

2 Likes

This is a good patch all around. Thank you for taking steps towards the game experience we all want.

One wallet across all characters is huge and very welcomed. That makes me pretty rich, combined. Big kudos.

Mission selection will be much smoother and reward scaling needed to happen. Kudos.

Curios have been a pain in the ass, so choosing what you want, for at least two perks is also good. Axing the constant rerolling was so annoying. Thank god I kept so many trash rolls; they can be useful now. Kudos.

Two questions:

Q1:

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by, “big impact on item acquisition…”?

Q2:

Whynot have a different reward (instead of XP) for lvl 30 players? Same question for Quickplay bonuses. XP is useless to lvl 30s. Unless you’re planning to add lvl 35 and reds later, then I suppose I can deal with it and wait.

Suggestion:

Why not allow blessings to be acquired across all other weps that share the same blessing? Why do I need to farm for a blessing I already own on another wep? Division 2 allowed this and it was very rewarding. I think this should change.

Looking forward to this patch.

4 Likes

So what’re the odds of the shield for ogryn getting reworked within this patch

@brosgw stay strong

18 Likes

Well, it’s a baby step in the right direction. But the bottom line is and remains, RNG ruining your items isn’t fun.

Take a look at Remnant 2, a game that doesn’t use RNG on its items but instead uses RNG on what you encounter with each playthrough. It’s infinitely more fun that way.

11 Likes

I was expecting a “Thank you for reading, peace out rejects.”

and oh yeahhhhh give us that JUICY addiotional 20% experience, THATS THE STUFF WE NEED BABY

But nice update.

1 Like

At least, in the right direction. We’ll see…

1 Like

Translation from Management Approved Corporate Speech: it would make people have to grind less and Greg from Tencent says we can’t have that because grind is what keeps people buying cosmetics

4 Likes

Currency caps will increase times 5, the combined cap between all currently available character slots, so there will be no loss in currency.

14 Likes

no, the grind is what allows tencent to mine more info from your pc

1 Like

Thanks for the answer! That’s a good news. :smile:

1 Like

Apart from the account wide currencies, quick play incentive and perk selection being a big positives, albeit long due ones, the other changes like the mission board, locks and the rest are at best baby steps in the right directions or at worst fundamentally not changing anything.

Those other changes are detracting the excitement for the patch in the same way those systems are still detracting from the fun of the core mission gameplay.

2 Likes