One thing I’ve noticed about deeds is that they don’t scale very well to the difficulty at the high end. It’s possible to get a 3-mutator legend deed with abduction that is only worth 1 emperor’s vault. And right beside that is another one that is slightly different but worth 2 emperor’s vaults instead. There should be more of a gradient between the two. In addition to that some mutators in combination make the game much harder than they would individually and the game doesn’t factor that into the reward.
So here’s what I would recommend:
- Each mutator on a deed has a level rating, each level of difficulty adds one level of quality to the reward chest for that difficulty level. So for instance if you have a champion deed with a single level 5 mutator the reward will be a general’s chest.
- If the total level rating of all mutators combined is higher than 6 it makes the first reward emperor quality and adds a second reward chest using the remainder. If the total is above 12 it adds a third reward chest.
- For deeds with more than one mutator it adds +1 reward level for each additional mutator.
- Certain mutator combinations can add an additional 1-3 reward levels if both are present. These are things like ambient enemies are replaced by elites + double strength elites. Or abduction + sudden death, or extra hordes + extra specials etc.
- Depending on what map the deed is for you can get an additional bonus based on the length of the map and whether or not it has a boss or a guaranteed monster spawn. Skittergate would give both bonuses.
So to sum things up deeds would have a difficulty rating from 1-18, or possibly even higher. Each level of difficulty rating gives you a level of reward quality. 6 quality on champion results in an emperor’s chest, 7 quality gets you an emperors and a peasants chest, and so on.
Would you prefer this system instead of the current somewhat arbitrary deed rewards? On the one hand you now get exactly what you earned, on the other hand this system can result in a lot of peasants/commoners/merchant rewards that are almost worthless unless you are on legend. It also somewhat de-values deeds with only one multiplier because you miss out on the multi-deed bonus, unless we also have access to a system for crafting and merging deeds together.
On a related note I think they should change Abduction to “players take 3-4 times longer to respawn” instead of “players never respawn”. The simple fact is that it’s not fun to sit and watch your party complete the map without you, if they complete it at all. Sometimes when I am doing deeds with pubs anyone who dies during an abduction deed will immediately quit regardless of the reward.